Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 89
Travel to Grand Canyon question

Going to Grand Canyon tomorrow from SW Colorado. I hear that the east gate is closed so I'll be headed to the south gate. Looks like I'll have to go down to the Flagstaff area and then back up. Is 180 up to 64 OK pulling a small 16 foot camper with an F150-5.4 V8 or is the longer way from Flagstaff, I40 over to 64 better? Looks to be 10-15 miles further that way.


Thanks.
__________________
Outsider
2007 F150 w/5.4 V8
2015 Coachmen Clipper 16B
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,833
It does look like you will have to go further south as the road is closed inside the east gate. It looks like it on Google.

Fuel up SW of Cortez CO at the Indian Casino truck stop.
I was just up there earlier this month. Cortez to Flagstaff to Phoenix.
Oh their are plenty of gas stations on the way that are cheaper inside the reservation.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS (Large box with wheels) 76,100 miles
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
You will be just fine either way.I-40 about 8 miles further but higher speeds on interstate.Nice drive up the 180.You are already on the plateau so no major climbs.
Wildcat Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It does look like you will have to go further south as the road is closed inside the east gate. It looks like it on Google.

Fuel up SW of Cortez CO at the Indian Casino truck stop.
I was just up there earlier this month. Cortez to Flagstaff to Phoenix.
Oh their are plenty of gas stations on the way that are cheaper inside the reservation.
Are they permitting stops on the reservation with covid still active?
Wildcat Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Buckeye View Post
Are they permitting stops on the reservation with covid still active?
Yes you can stop at gas stations which were open and the side of the road but nothing was open earlier this month.
Updated information about the Navajo Nation NE Arizona. Use link below.
https://www.navajo-nsn.gov/
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS (Large box with wheels) 76,100 miles
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: payson, az
Posts: 2,839
either is fine. if you go i-40 to williams you can mostly avoid the flagstaff city streets. the 180 route will require some travel on flagstaff city streets.
__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
Going to Grand Canyon tomorrow from SW Colorado. I hear that the east gate is closed so I'll be headed to the south gate. Looks like I'll have to go down to the Flagstaff area and then back up. Is 180 up to 64 OK pulling a small 16 foot camper with an F150-5.4 V8 or is the longer way from Flagstaff, I40 over to 64 better? Looks to be 10-15 miles further that way.


Thanks.
Go to nps.gov then put in Grand Canyon. Site will give all restrictions
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Wherever we’re parked
Posts: 87
We went to the GC August 11th but we stayed in Williams at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park and rode the train. A very memorable experience.
__________________
Always at home regardless of where we are
OLEJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,059
Quote:
we stayed in Williams at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park and rode the train. A very memorable experience.
X2... very nice and memorable trip for the wife and I also... we did it between Christmas and New Years some years ago. Highly recommended
__________________
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. " - Ronald Reagan
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
travel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.