Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #1

Traveling to Colorado

Hey all, I'm thinking of taking a trip around March from Georgia to Colorado. I'm looking for info if the highway grades and elevations will be an issue. My pull truck is an '06 Silverado HD 6.0 gas, 4:10 gears, headers, an after market large trans cooler and a cold air intake. My 5th wheel weighs close to 12k. Thanks in advance to any info anyone may have that's traveled the Colorado area.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #2

I live in Colorado. Grades in the mountains are generally 6% or less on the main roads. In general, your rig should be capable of 60+mph up a 6% grade to not be THAT GUY holding up the traffic. Two lane roads in rural areas can be marked as high as 70mph (just like Texas), with 60 or 65 being more normal. Tend to be not nearly as many speed-limiting sharp curves as in the Smokies, but there are some exceptions (Hoosier Pass into Breckenridge comes to mind). Grades are longer - 10 mile long grades are not unheard of. 6-7 mile long grades are normal.

Altitude doesn't make as much difference at highway speeds as you would think, as air resistance of your rig falls off just as fast as power. Your gas mileage will improve at altitude thanks to reduced air resistance and power available.

Colorado is known for high winds and quick-changing weather (although winds are worse in Wyoming and Montana). Temp changes of 40 degrees in 30 minutes happen. Thunderstorms in the summer are quite violent, and tornadoes form over the flatter Eastern plains. 60MPH gusts have been known to push trucks and big rigs over on their side on the interstates on a regular basis. If the high wind warnings are up, SLOW DOWN.

Watch TV temps (less dense air doesn't cool as well), and enjoy.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

March can be very snowy in colorado and many campgrounds will be closed. Depending on where you are headed in Colorado and the route to get there will determine the inclines to expect. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #4

Didn't catch the March time frame.

March is snowiest month in Colorado (like most of snowy US). Most Forest Service campgrounds and many State Parks don't open fully until May. State parks that do stay open all year have only a small number of sites open. Reservations are required for all state parks (can be made same day). Carry water because water will be shut off until May except at heated buildings at most locations.

Be prepared to modify schedule and shelter in place - you DON'T want to be on I70 when the snow starts falling (or for a day afterward). Colorado and Wyoming regularly close large portions of interstates and major highways during moderate-to-severe snow storms - or for traffic backups because too many vehicles got stuck in the snow.

If your truck is not 4WD, you will need to carry chains (by law) or have actual snow tires.

We do camp in the winter months, but being local, we have the advantage of being able to pick good weather windows. If expected snow shortens our trip, it's not a big deal to hightail it home in advance of snow.

hope this helps
Fred W
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #5

Thanks all for the great information. With the bad weather during March in Colorado and many parts of the country I wont do this trip until around late April, early May. I plan on stopping at parks along the way so I could also spend two months taking my time to get there.

Retirement life........
Old 01-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post

March is snowiest month in Colorado (like most of snowy US). Most Forest Service campgrounds and many State Parks don't open fully until May. State parks that do stay open all year have only a small number of sites open. Reservations are required for all state parks (can be made same day). Carry water because water will be shut off until May except at heated buildings at most locations.

Be prepared to modify schedule and shelter in place - you DON'T want to be on I70 when the snow starts falling (or for a day afterward). Colorado and Wyoming regularly close large portions of interstates and major highways during moderate-to-severe snow storms - or for traffic backups because too many vehicles got stuck in the snow.

If your truck is not 4WD, you will need to carry chains (by law) or have actual snow tires.

We do camp in the winter months, but being local, we have the advantage of being able to pick good weather windows. If expected snow shortens our trip, it's not a big deal to hightail it home in advance of snow.

hope this helps
Fred W
My truck is 4WD but staying away until snow season has gone.

Retirement life........
Old 01-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Thanks all for the great information. With the bad weather during March in Colorado and many parts of the country I wont do this trip until around late April, early May. I plan on stopping at parks along the way so I could also spend two months taking my time to get there.
This was May 18, 2017, in Denver. Just keep track of the weather.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_104616_001.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	245426
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
This was May 18, 2017, in Denver. Just keep track of the weather.Attachment 245426

I'll be taking my time staying at parks getting there. Possibly late April, early May to avoid what you posted.

Retirement life........
Old 01-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #9

After working in every western state, I believe Colorado has more difficult roads than anywhere else in the Lower 48. March is too early unless you want to go skiing.

The grades in Colorado are long because of all the elevation gain and loss. The interstate over Loveland Pass is over 11,600 feet. The one grade from the west side of the pass used to take us 45 minutes in a loaded log truck. Seven percent is common. On state highways the grades can be 10 % or more. On remote roads they are much higher.

When I first moved to the state, I planned a trip to Lake Granby for Memorial Day. It is not that high. We came over a rise and saw the lake for the first time. It was frozen and covered in snow.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
After working in every western state, I believe Colorado has more difficult roads than anywhere else in the Lower 48. March is too early unless you want to go skiing.

The grades in Colorado are long because of all the elevation gain and loss. The interstate over Loveland Pass is over 11,600 feet. The one grade from the west side of the pass used to take us 45 minutes in a loaded log truck. Seven percent is common. On state highways the grades can be 10 % or more. On remote roads they are much higher.

When I first moved to the state, I planned a trip to Lake Granby for Memorial Day. It is not that high. We came over a rise and saw the lake for the first time. It was frozen and covered in snow.
Thanks for the grade info. My plan is to leave Florida the end of March and arrive in Del Monte, CO around the first of June staying until the end of August.

Retirement life........
Old 01-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the grade info. My plan is to leave Florida the end of March and arrive in Del Monte, CO around the first of June staying until the end of August.
Where in CO is Del Monte?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Where in CO is Del Monte?
Del Norte. Sorry

Retirement life........
Old 01-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Del Norte. Sorry
From Florida there is only one pass that may come into play and that's Raton but that can even be bypassed. Don't know what your concerns are because there are no other passes to cross into Del Norte. It's a flat gradual climb (hardly noticed) out of Walsenburg on 160. No issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
From Florida there is only one pass that may come into play and that's Raton but that can even be bypassed. Don't know what your concerns are because there are no other passes to cross into Del Norte. It's a flat gradual climb (hardly noticed) out of Walsenburg on 160. No issues.
I decided on Del Norte after the original post for that reason. I can use just my truck to explore higher elevations.

Retirement life........
Old 01-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post

hope this helps
Fred W
Some States require even 4WD's to chain up if towing a trailer. As they are over 10,000 gvw combined.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some States require even 4WD's to chain up if towing a trailer. As they are over 10,000 gvw combined.
My plan is two months of traveling from Florida arriving in Colorado around the first of June.

Retirement life........
Old 01-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #17
Scoundrel

Del Norte is easy to get to and from there you can take plenty of day trips around the southern part of the state and see some awesome, unspoiled places. If you familiarize yourself with this website below it will give you all the road conditions info you will need to have a safe trip.

Enjoy.

https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #18

If going to DelNorte, Highly recommend Woods & River RV Park. Get a site right on the Rio Grande and fish from your RV! Nice wooded sites and a path that runs along the river. If you have any RV issues, Colorado RV Center is 6 miles away.
Dreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
If going to DelNorte, Highly recommend Woods & River RV Park. Get a site right on the Rio Grande and fish from your RV! Nice wooded sites and a path that runs along the river. If you have any RV issues, Colorado RV Center is 6 miles away.

Woods & River RV Park is the one I'll be staying for close to 3 months. I've been in touch with them by phone. Looks like a nice park with a strong Verizon signal for my phone and Jetpack.

Retirement life........
Old 01-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #20

I have worked around Del Norte, and used pack mules with the Mule Shoe a local outfitter. March will be in snow. It is a great part of the state.

June 1 is a much better plan, but the higher mountains in the San Juans will likely still be in snow depending on the seasonal snowfall amounts.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel