Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Traveling to Yellowstone Best Route

Hi all
We will be traveling west to Yellowstone National Park and then on to Salt Lake City. We have a 39' Wildwood Heritage Glenn 5th Wheel. We will be in Rapid City, SD. and I would like some input as to the best routes to Yellowstone out of Custer City, SD. We are staying at an RV park there and then heading west. Also RV park recommendations would be helpful. We have a reservation in Cody, WY so far. Any hepl and input would be great.

Thanks
Leeman
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

I would take I90 to Buffalo WY, then 14 through the mtns and over to Cody; HOWEVER, I tow a 21 foot popup and love curvy high mountain roads with steep grades. So with a 39 footer, you might want to take 16 at Buffalo through the mtns then just before Cody jump on 14.

From Cody, just drive into the East entrance/exit of Yellowstone via Hwy 14. This is a nice 2-lane hwy that is easy to drive.

Can't recommend any RV parks since I only camp in FS/BLM lands.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks that what I was looking at as far as route 16. The roads are different in life than looking at a map.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #4

I have a 40' pusher with a tow and I've taken 14 many times... Just take your time and enjoy - use that engine on the descents and you should have no issues.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

We were in Yellowstone earlier this year. I would NOT recommend Fishing Bridge campground in the park. It is expensive and the back sites are not in good shape. We passed through west Yellowstone and suggest you look there for a suitable campground. If possible get the senior pass to avoid paying each time you enter the park.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

I agree with Strigflag. The road from Cody to Yellowstone is an easy drive. If you do not already have reservations at Fishing Bridge campground they are almost impossible to get on short notice. I do not think any of the other campgrounds in Yellowstone can handle a 39' 5th wheel. Stay at one of the commercial campgrounds in West Yellowstone. Then it is an easy drive to Salt Lake City from West Yellowstone.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

Easy, but might be long from W. Yellowstone to SLC. Paving on Hwy 20 south of Island park can cause up to a half hour wait; at least that is what I encountered last week when visiting Island Park.
Still faster than any other route, and maybe they are done by now.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

As far as West Yellowstone, Grizzly is a very nice park to stay, and you can visit western and southern parts pretty well. A bit too far to drive to eastern end of the park from there. For the eastern end, Fishing Bridge is good if you can get reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

There are two KOAs in West Yellowstone if that is how you fly.
We've had good luck with both, mountainside is or preference.

We tour all of the loop road from there, just leave early to avoid the crowds.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

How about traveling from west Yellowstone towards Grand Tetons on 89 then on to Jackson Wyoming. Is this road good for pulling a 5th wheel?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
How about traveling from west Yellowstone towards Grand Tetons on 89 then on to Jackson Wyoming. Is this road good for pulling a 5th wheel?
Yeah... the roads are real nice... and you won't be going very fast since all of the area is scenic...
I did that route on June 20th...
I stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA and I was very happy with them. If you are in a hurry to get to Jackson, then leave early in the morning... before the tourists and sight seeing buses start moving.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

We were able to get reservations at Fishing Bridge in May for July, maybe someone canceled but being the only park with hookups it was okay. It is definitely not a place to hang out in, you will want to explore Yellowstone from there.
However the Grand Tetons are amazing and don't miss Jackson Hole. They have RV parking in a commercial lot with plenty of room and it was definitely a must see for us...you won't be sorry.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #13

A very scenic campground between Yellowstone and Jackson is located at Coulter Bay on Jackson Lake. Great place to wake up very early and take sunrise photos of the Tetons with the lake in the foreground! We have generally seen moose at Coulter Bay too.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #14

Not sure where you are going after Jackson but if you go across the Teton pass be careful. Up and down are a healthy grade. Gear down as much as you can and take it easy on the brakes.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #15

Teton has some of the steepest grades (10%) in the USA, but a fun road with some fantastic scenery. But it would be out of the way if you are coming down through Jackson and then heading to SLC. Stay on 89 and go over Hoback pass.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #16

Agree that US 89 is the way to go. Had no problems with it when we towed our Mini Lite through there.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #17

Thanks for all the advise. I think we will be taking 89 to jackson and then on to SLC for a week.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #18

There is a campground called Indian Campground with a good steak house across the street.... Right in Buffalo....
There is a KOA in Buffalo as well... many options off of I-90
From Buffalo we took hwy 16, then north on 20 to Greybull and then west on hwy 14.... to Cody...it was an easy pull...
I'd avoid the BigHorn mountains pulling something long... it's a great run on a Harley but I remember thinking I wouldn't pull my trailer through there.... that's a big hill.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
A very scenic campground between Yellowstone and Jackson is located at Coulter Bay on Jackson Lake. Great place to wake up very early and take sunrise photos of the Tetons with the lake in the foreground! We have generally seen moose at Coulter Bay too.

Great campground at Colter Bay, they take big rigs there, just dry camping. A beautiful place

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #20

Colter Bay RV Park has full hook-ups.... Coulter Bay Campground is dry camping... Both take big rigs.... We were at the RV park last month and love it.... It's one of our favorite CG's up there.... Another about 1.5 miles from the South gate is Flagg Ranch which we also stayed at last month.... We use it as our base camp for going in and out of Yellowstone.... You'll need to make reservations for both... We've stayed in both at least 6-7 times....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel