Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #1

West Yellowstone

I am just wondering if anyone on this wonderful forum is camping in the west Yellowstone KOA this week? My family and I are here until Wednesday and I was wondering if anyone was here as well so I could FINALLY meet some of the amazing people on this forum! If anyone is here I am in spot number 4 drop on by and have a brew and meet myself and my family!!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #2

Although I am NOT camping at the KOA, I would love to next summer. We would be traveling from NY and would love to know your thoughts on it.
I'm trying to plan a trip to Mt. Rushmore and then to see Yellowstone. I'll have two almost 11 year olds with us, and figured a KOA would give them something to do other than look at all that mother nature has to offer..
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

so jealous - we wee there a couple of years ago and stayed at that KOA. The trip was pretty fantastic.
That is a nice KOA but it was one of the pricer ones we stayed at.
ACca51, we went from Maryland to Yellowstone and did KOAs the whole way. we also stopped at Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. We used the KOAs because they are usually near the interstate and easy to get to (very well marked) and all had swimming pools. We planned our trip so we were in camp early enough so we could get set up and give the kids some swimming time. Our youngest was 12.
Things to beware of when planning the trip,
#1 is holiday weekends - KOAs have a three night minimum for holidays and they are usually packed
#2 is Mount Rushmore, leave the trailer at the campground to visit, they have really limited parking for long vehicles. we had originally planned to spend the spend an entire day at the badlands (we had two nights at the badlands KOA) and then swing by rushmore on the way further west (with camper in tow), but read in the AAA guide to not do that, so changed our plans to do the rushmore in the am and then drive through the badlands loop on our way back to the Badlands KOA. that was a good tip from AAA. We did stop at Wall Drug on our way out from there to Sheridan. The kids will get a kick out of Wall Drug.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the great advise. In 1969, I went with my parents across country towing a pop up. I remember many KOA's along the way. How long did this trip take you? I've really only got about two weeks to fit this in. I like the idea of getting in early and letting everyone relax before starting another leg of the trip. I had not thought of the badlands but would nw like that to be a part of it also.

I appreciate your info and thoughts.

Andy
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #5

We did it in two weeks. Took 5 days to get out there and 4 to get back with 5 days to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton. It is not a lazy trip for the two week time frame. We chose west yellowstone koa for its proxmity to the park and amenities. We did do the KOAs the entire way as they are a known quality (not always the best but good enough) and they are usually easy access from the interstate. We had reservations the entire way. (And we have a popup.) Lol
Old 06-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aca651 View Post
Although I am NOT camping at the KOA, I would love to next summer. We would be traveling from NY and would love to know your thoughts on it.
I'm trying to plan a trip to Mt. Rushmore and then to see Yellowstone. I'll have two almost 11 year olds with us, and figured a KOA would give them something to do other than look at all that mother nature has to offer..

It was an amazing trip! If you are going to do Yellowstone make it at least a four day trip because it ALWAYS takes longer than expected because of all the traffic jams due to animals. But 4 days would give you plenty of time to take it easy thru the park and do both loops and be able to see everything that you want to see.
The KOA campground was very nice and the crew that worked it were very nice and easy to deal with as well. There is plenty to do at the campground for the little ones including mini golf. My 6 year old was never bored even going thru the park he was amazed and in awe! HIGHLY recommend this trip to anyone even thinking it would be fun!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

Woohoo! Glad you had a wonderful time. Your experience sounds very similar to ours and I would love to go back. Everything was amazing. Did you get to Grand Teton?