Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #21

Totally depends on where you travel. I'm an Escapee and stayed in Pahrump, NV for a week at an incredible low rate, then last Feb. in North Ranch (Congress, AZ) at $325. + electric for a month. Also have Passport America and, yes, I did drive 15 miles west of Kingman to get to a great park, but you can stay there for 3 nights at half price! I've used it 3 times in the past year when I'm traveling to/from Arizona.

I've looked at TT and they don't have parks where I go. I've stayed at 3 KOA's and they were expensive, old, narrow and short sites. I don't use pools or play games, so that's only important if it's important to you.

Not necessary to make a life long commitment to any club...try a couple,
see how they work for you. Just make sure you can use them enough to pay for the yearly dues. Break even and you're good to go.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #22

Happy Camper is my favorite. Saved the annual dues amount in just a weekend.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #23
Fulltime family RVer

The best one is the one you'll use.

Twice now I've bought KOA memberships and twice now, I never made back my initial $20 or whatever. So buying their membership actually costed me extra money.

I'm a fan of Thousand Trails because they generally work for us. In 2017, we used 46 nights. But we fulltime and will spend 1-2 weeks at a shot at the parks.

Passport America is typically awash for me. I barely make back what I spend but that's because we rarely spend just a couple of nights somewhere. Many of the times I've tried to use it, it turned out that the weekly rate was cheaper.

As I said, it all comes down to what you'll use. Here's a list of clubs and their benefits:
Various Memberships for the Weekender and Fulltimer | Learn To RV
Old 11-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #24

Ditto on comments about where you stay and length of stay. We had Good Sam last year and covered the southwest to Minnesota, to Maine down the east coast, to Florida and west back to Colo. GS was everywhere, but it's only 10% savings, basically a bit more than the taxes. It paid for itself several times over of course, but nothing drastic. Check the 1 week stays, savings are substantial! THEN it starts adding up.

KOA's were expensive, didn't fit our needs being centered more for families with said amenities we didn't need or use.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #25

We have had Passport America for several years and have saved the membership cost many times over. Passport works best for traveling long distances where you are stopping for a night or two here and there, for us it works great!
+1 on KOA'S being expensive! When we decide to stay more than a few days we might get something different
Old 11-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Unless you full-time, we think Good Sam has the most usable discounts, at the most places, for the membership fee.
I'm

We dry camp more than camp ground with hookups, but we are doing well this year with Passport America. Been able to use it many areas. Half off regular price. Cost was only $39 at CW for 15 mo. Have Good Sam but usually the saving is as good or nearly with my AAA auto club card.

For full timers who like hookups Thousand trails seems to give you youR money's worth. Our friends seem to use theirs about 100 nights or more and pay little above free.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #27
dfp

Passport is great but also consider FMCA. FMCA has many benefits but note that they include a fully paid medical emergency evacuation for both the member and spouse and rig as part of the membership. Also note that they have just recently voted to include all towables.
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
Passport is great but also consider FMCA. FMCA has many benefits but note that they include a fully paid medical emergency evacuation for both the member and spouse and rig as part of the membership. Also note that they have just recently voted to include all towables.
Do you have anything from FMCA about allowing the towables? I'd also heard that a few months ago, ask about it on a different forum and got shut down quick with folks who said it was a Motor Coach association - period. I wrote to FMCA asking about towables and never received an answer.

They do have lots of nice benefits. If there's a link we can visit, I'd like to have it.

Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #29

PPA & Escapees pay for themselves after using them 1-2 times! That is what I call Value! Youroo!!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #30
dfp

Dear OldGal3,

I just received an email from FMCA today saying that the vote to include all towables had been approved. The President John Walker said that it was going to take them a few days to get organized and sort out the details. Go to Google and look up FMCA and you should be able to find all that you need.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Dear OldGal3,

I just received an email from FMCA today saying that the vote to include all towables had been approved. The President John Walker said that it was going to take them a few days to get organized and sort out the details. Go to Google and look up FMCA and you should be able to find all that you need.
Already some chapters are not going along with national. You will still be able to join national but maybe not a local chapter. They still do not want towables, just their money in order to survive.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Already some chapters are not going along with national. You will still be able to join national but maybe not a local chapter. They still do not want towables, just their money in order to survive.
Yep...gonna be a big adjustment for most in FMCA. We were at an RV park 2 years ago that was having an FMCA gathering while we were there. Folks were very nice until they found out we had a 5r, then the conversation was abruptly over. Pretty elitist organization we have brushed up against several times.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #33

After using Passport America for three years, we liked it so much, we renewed and upgraded to the Lifetime Membership, .... because of all the positives about the program, PLUS, the Lifetime Membership is onetime transferable, ... when we get tired of having fun, we can pass it on to my son and hope they enjoy it as much as we did, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Yep...gonna be a big adjustment for most in FMCA. We were at an RV park 2 years ago that was having an FMCA gathering while we were there. Folks were very nice until they found out we had a 5r, then the conversation was abruptly over. Pretty elitist organization we have brushed up against several times.
Most are fine when alone but a clan or tribal mentality comes over them in a group. Don't see that in MH owners that do not belong either.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Dear OldGal3,

Thanks so much - and for all the other FMCA comments. I'll be sure to check it out. I'd read about some of their benefits (tire deal was a big one as I remember) but put it on the back burner when I didn't get any response from them.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #36
dfp

As CaptnJohn says there will need to be adjustment. I had to make an adjustment belonging to a Safari Trek Club for many years but now driving a Georgetown. Further, one does not need to join an already established local club, start a new one.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
How true is that... They can't survive otherwise so they'll gladly take your money. Funny when I read above that they would not allow it or it was voted down.. The "voters" are the board of whomever owns the company, they do not care what the members want, they have their money... They want the extra money from us trailer trash.
Quote:
I do not say this to start a war but that seems to be the case with many motor home folk we have met. Used to be a few even on here that were elitists. Do not know if they were booted or just left but a few times we've talked to people who have big class As when they learned we had a small tt they moved on.. It is funny people have been a bit more talkative to us in just the short time we had the 5er. Instead of us commoners talking now the big boys wave to us! LOL

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #38

We live in an RV Resort full time when we are not traveling, which is rare. We own the lot and have a small casita on it which is fully equipped. A section of the park is limited to MHs only as it was designated years ago when the park was first developed. The non-exclusive lots in the park turn over very well upon resale while the MH only sites stay on the market forever. The park is seriously considering changing the silly designation in order to facilitate the re-sales. When first developed I guess they figured the MH people didn't want to mix with us peon 5th wheel owners. But we all get along together very well. BTW it's a great way to live.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #39
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
How true is that... They can't survive otherwise so they'll gladly take your money. Funny when I read above that they would not allow it or it was voted down.. The "voters" are the board of whomever owns the company, they do not care what the members want, they have their money... They want the extra money from us trailer trash. I do not say this to start a war but that seems to be the case with many motor home folk we have met. Used to be a few even on here that were elitists. Do not know if they were booted or just left but a few times we've talked to people who have big class As when they learned we had a small tt they moved on.. It is funny people have been a bit more talkative to us in just the short time we had the 5er. Instead of us commoners talking now the big boys wave to us! LOL
It's all about money. Not as many new MH members so suck us poor TT trash into the mix. Ha don't think so. The only club to belong to is one that has only one rule and that is to have no rules later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 46
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #40

To Doc73 you must have run into some real snobs. I'm in a motorhome and I could care less if your in a 44ft motorhomr or a 1968 16ft trailer I'll talk to anybody that's decent.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote