Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Where to camp at Mount Rainier National Park

We are planning a trip to Mount Rainier National Park with a 32ft Trailer. Any suggestions on where to camp? We can boondock and would prefer a more National Park type site. Any hook ups would be a plus. On a lake or river would be preferred. Whose's been there?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #2

It all depends on your entry point.
Here is what comes up if you use Google Map and a link to all the campgrounds.
https://visitrainier.com/stay/campgrounds/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	151507  
Old 09-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It all depends on your entry point.
Here is what comes up if you use Google Map and a link to all the campgrounds.
https://visitrainier.com/stay/campgrounds/
Yes, that map is what we need help with. Lot's of campgrounds. We are coming from the south.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

We have stayed a couple of times at Taidnapaum Tacoma City Light campground. It is off SR12 on your way to the park. It may be another hour or two from the main park visitor center, but it is a nice park that can accommodate your rig.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

Check the park's website for closures! The NE quadrant was closed for a fire when we camped in the park last week. So that left only two choices for campgrounds. We stayed at Ohanapecosh campground in the SE. It was very nice but there were space limits for length. My best recommendation is to phone the park and inquire the latest. BTW, there was no smoke on our route in or through the park.

The east to west drive through the park was AMAZING! The road climbs quite high (someone told me 8,000') and runs right along the bottom of the peak. You could even see steam venting from the mountain, and later a lenticular cloud fromed from the high winds on the peak. Many, many huge pullouts for viewing and photos (but can't boondock in the park, outside of campgrounds). Bottom line is even if you have some potential inconvenience, it's well worth it!

https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

We stayed at Ohanapecosh last year and highly recommend it. Campsites are surrounded by old growth Pacific Northwest rain forest. It is boondocking at its finest. Lots of trails even hot springs. Oh and there is a dump station.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

Trip Planning to Mt Rainier Natl Park

Hi. We have lived in Washington state for over 60 years in the Puget Sound area. The Tacoma Power company's park located on Riffe Lake near the town of Mossyrock, WA is a nice park. The park is undergoing some construction at the docks so the lake level is very low. There are very few places to shop it to entertain you if that becomes a desire.
There is a, I think, a better place to stay. It is located in South Pairie WA, it is near the town of Bonnie Lake Was which has alot if various stores, restaurants, movie theaters, service stations, RV outlet stores, and tire stores. It is located close to Buckley Wa (within 2 miles) and with in 6 miles of Enumclaw Wa which also has various shopping locations. The RV park is, South Pairie Creek Rv park in South Pairie Wa. It is located on Hwy 162 in South Pairie Wa. The telephone number is, 360-897-8465 talk to Mandi about reservations. The park is close to Mt Rainer National Park entrance on the north side. Access is through the Carbonado Wa side. This route takes you around the mountain back to the Paradise Mt Rainer National Park entrance. The route from South Pairie loops through a small old mining town called Wilkenson Wa. This also places you close to the Cyrstal Mountain Ski Resort and hundreds of hiking trails. Check with some of the local sporting goods stores and pick up maps for hiking trails and first service roads.
You might what to visit the Flaming Gorge Area on the Green River near Black Diamond Wa.
Enjoy the beautiful scenery....be aware of the heavy traffic in our area.
caburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #8

We stayed at Shady Firs Campground on rt 12 near Randel, Wa. in early June. Stayed 4 days and visited Mt St. Helens national Monument (about 1 1/2 hours away) And Mt. Renier (about half an hour away). Was water and electric and a dump station. I think we paid about $65.00 for the 4 days. Edit. Might have been Passport America rate.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty. Nick 22 y/o and Leif 3 1/2 yrs.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #9

On your way to Rainier, I suggest that you stop at Seaquest State Park and visit Mount Saint Helens. It is right across the street from the Mount Saint Helens Visitor Center which is about 5 miles east Interstate 5 in Castle Rock, WA. The campground has full hookups with pull-thru sites. It's in the woods, too.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
Aging Junior Member

We stayed at Mounhhaven Resort which is about 1/2 mile from the Nisqually (SW) entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park. Kinda small with only 16 RV sites, but all have full hookups and are nicely forested. They also have 9 camping cabins that make this place kinda homey. You can check em out at Mounthaven dot com or call them at (360) 569-2594 for current conditions, etc. Very nice place. We really enjoyed our time there.
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

Shady Firs, roomy and low cost. Nothing fancy. Close to Mt St Helens too.
pawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwilliams2049 View Post
We stayed at Ohanapecosh last year and highly recommend it. Campsites are surrounded by old growth Pacific Northwest rain forest. It is boondocking at its finest. Lots of trails even hot springs. Oh and there is a dump station.

We have decided to stay at Ohanapecosh. Any recommendations on where the largest spots are? We are looking at H loop right now?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #13
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
We have decided to stay at Ohanapecosh. Any recommendations on where the largest spots are? We are looking at H loop right now?

How was ohanapecosh?

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #14

Ohanapecosh is gorgeous

Ohanapecosh is a gorgeous spot with huge rainforest trees and moss carpeting the ground. Good hiking including a water fall and rustic hot spring. Some of the spots can be challenging if you have a bigger unit. Ours is 20. Services are minimal but the location more than compensates if you are self contained.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwilliams2049 View Post
Ohanapecosh is a gorgeous spot with huge rainforest trees and moss carpeting the ground. Good hiking including a water fall and rustic hot spring. Some of the spots can be challenging if you have a bigger unit. Ours is 20. Services are minimal but the location more than compensates if you are self contained.

25 not advised?

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #16

Ohanapecosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
25 not advised?
Go with their recommendations when booking. It just seems to me that the nicest spots are on the small side
Old 11-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #17

I stayed at Cougar Rock 3 nights. Loved it. No hookups but there are some sites that will work for 32'. If they say 30' max, claim to be that. I can get my 35' tip to tip trailer in sites claiming to be 30'. But, I was there in a Truck camper at about 22' so I could fit anywhere you can park a truck. I did have a reservation, since it is one of the popular national parks out there. Only thing I did wrong was not make reservations early enough, so I wasn't able to stay as long as I would have liked to. The park is super nice. I was there for the eclipse, which was about 96%, but still pretty cool. If you have never been there, I would also recommend Mt. Baker in the north and of course, Mt Hood south of Rainier.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #18

Taidnapaum Tacoma City Light campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
We have stayed a couple of times at Taidnapaum Tacoma City Light campground. It is off SR12 on your way to the park. It may be another hour or two from the main park visitor center, but it is a nice park that can accommodate your rig.
Yeah, we tried that a few years ago. Populated with Trailor Trash. Whole loops were taken over by groups of boistrous and obnoxious people. NEVER AGAIN!
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount