RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #1

Where to camp in California?

Just to clarify a little. I am a salesman, not a carpenter or electrical engineer. Last week I figured out how to correctly use the thermostat so the furnace would heat without having the AC unit also blow air. Yeah, it was really simple, put the fan on auto and adjust the furnace to the desired temperature. I got an adaptor to manage the grey water. I discovered (for me a discovery, in retrospect pretty obvious) how to light the pilot and run the refrigerator on gas. I share all this because its really simple and basic, and its where I'm at.

The forum has been super helpful, some of the posts I understand, some of them I think "wow, that dude is super smart", but I seem to be learning pieces here and there as I read through things. For example, it never occurred to me that I might be able to simply leave the table in the up position and not deal with those confounded legs. I'll look into this soon.

Thank you to whoever it was who suggested camping in the driveway and getting familiar with various systems that way. Your suggestion helped me get dialed and made a big difference.

Perhaps I'm a visual learner, pictures make a huge impact when I try to learn new things. Once again, thank you everyone for your patience and your willingness to share your solutions and insights. QUESTION: I live in California and all the campgrounds are shut down, where do I camp? The driveway is loosing its appeal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	245637  
sacramentocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
J&J Camping

Could also try a Walmart parking lot or a crackle barrel
itsjb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjb5 View Post
Could also try a Walmart parking lot or a crackle barrel
.....but only overnight!

Itís not a long term solution to camping vacancy issues.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
.....but only overnight!

Itís not a long term solution to camping vacancy issues.
Right? I have RV Parky and it shows tons of overnight options, but due to COVID all campgrounds are closed. I think the fact I can get a hotel and take out food at a restaurant but can't camp outdoors and eat in my kitchen and use my own "bathroom" is a good indication of what's wrong with the USA's response to COVID but THAT is a topic for a different thread.

We're going commando camping with the van in the S.F. bay area this weekend. Its a different type of adventure, but we'll get to see the bay, hike in Tilden park, perhaps drive through San Francisco, and most importantly, spend the weekend away from home.

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY! YAY! <-- no campfire
sacramentocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #5

Nice photo....as for California, you couldn't pay me to go there right now given the excessive lockdowns. But like others said, for one night you have lots of options, Lowe's and Home Depot often let you stay overnight like WalMart and Cracker Barrel. Also some rest areas are viable.
Jim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramentocamper View Post
Just to clarify a little. I am a salesman, not a carpenter or electrical engineer. Last week I figured out how to correctly use the thermostat so the furnace would heat without having the AC unit also blow air. Yeah, it was really simple, put the fan on auto and adjust the furnace to the desired temperature. I got an adaptor to manage the grey water. I discovered (for me a discovery, in retrospect pretty obvious) how to light the pilot and run the refrigerator on gas. I share all this because its really simple and basic, and its where I'm at.

The forum has been super helpful, some of the posts I understand, some of them I think "wow, that dude is super smart", but I seem to be learning pieces here and there as I read through things. For example, it never occurred to me that I might be able to simply leave the table in the up position and not deal with those confounded legs. I'll look into this soon.

Thank you to whoever it was who suggested camping in the driveway and getting familiar with various systems that way. Your suggestion helped me get dialed and made a big difference.

Perhaps I'm a visual learner, pictures make a huge impact when I try to learn new things. Once again, thank you everyone for your patience and your willingness to share your solutions and insights. QUESTION: I live in California and all the campgrounds are shut down, where do I camp? The driveway is loosing its appeal.
As a happy refugee from California, you should be able to camp in National Forests, which are all around you. Since they are Federal, don't think Gavin has any say.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #7

Most private RV parks are open following COVID 19 guidelines. You just need to call them.
Try the Jellystone Park at Terminus CA just west of Lodi on the Delta very nice clean park.
Have a safe adventure
2017 Mini-lite 1905
2015 Toyota 4 Runner
Fivebuccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

Smile

There are private parks open in Ca, including Thousand Trails which do offer sites to non-members. Good luck and happy camping!
Road dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #9

I think only the private campgrounds are open. We did Anza Borrego Highway west.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #10

If your close to Anaheim, canyon rv...we go there alot and its private and open....Click image for larger version

Name:	20201215_145610.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	245656
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #11

Red face Boondocking

I've lived in California all my 72+ years, it is a beautiful, wonderful state. It seems like wherever you live here, there are multiple recreational opportunities and different things to do within easy driving distance. Only drawback is some of the people and the politics.

As mentioned, the only campgrounds that are open are private ones. Check https://www.campgroundreviews.com/ and see if anything shows up that catches your eye. They have website links for the various parks. They even list some of the boondocking sites.

Boondocking is the best option if you have anything in your area. Not as level and paved as Walmart's, but quieter and you can stay more than one night! Just make sure you are on public land and not private since they are sometimes side-by-side. It's a great way to put what you've been learning in the driveway to use.

Best wishes

Paul & Sherida Hodel
Fur-Babies: Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo & Moses the Black Cat
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
Sold TT: 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trails ST19
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #12

private campgrounds or federal land. State Parks are shut down. Makes no sense though does it? Not like campsites are less than 6' apart.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanj56 View Post
If your close to Anaheim, canyon rv...we go there alot and its private and open....Attachment 245656
That's a great park but it's a long way from Sacramento for the OP. We'll be there in a couple of months.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramentocamper View Post

Browns campground Bishop ca
2012 Dodge Challenger
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #15
Site Team

Folks, the OP lives in the Sacramento area. So places 500 miles away may not be helpful.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
private campgrounds or federal land. State Parks are shut down. Makes no sense though does it? Not like campsites are less than 6' apart.
I know that Yosemite has shut down camping and other lodging, although the park remains open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #17

Didn't realize the OP said within 500 miles, must have missed it. Then again Bishop is only about 275 away.
2012 Dodge Challenger
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Didn't realize the OP said within 500 miles, must have missed it. Then again Bishop is only about 275 away.
I did say "may" not be helpful.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #19

Try www.boondockerswelcome.com
All private and up to each owner.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I did say "may" not be helpful.
Click image for larger version

Name:	smilly face.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	245666
2012 Dodge Challenger