Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
Censored Member

True Story. Back in 2004 I was hiking the Mount Washburn trail in Yellowstone hoping to get to the lookout at the top of the mountain. Being a flatlander I was huffing and puffing on this hike. About three fourths of the way to the top I turned on one of the switchbacks there was a grizzly bear and two rather large cubs on the trail coming toward me. We all stopped moving at the same time with the mama bear about 25 yards (it seemed like 5 feet) from me. As I recall I muttered a mild curse word and once I gathered my wits about me I began walking backward away from them. Mama took a few steps in my direction and let out a huge huff of air. I began talking in what I hoped was a soothing voice saying no no mama, I won’t hurt you, over and over. I guess that worked because she stopped moving toward me and turned off the trail and headed back up the mountain with her two cubs behind her.

I have no idea how far I walked backward on the trail but eventually I got up the nerve to turn around and I began a fast walk/slow jog back down toward the trail head. My heart was beating so fast I thought for sure I would have a heart attack. I didn’t feel safe until I actually had the trailhead in sight again. It was about this time that I realized that at some point during the encounter I had actually peed myself.

It’s funny, every time I think about that encounter the hair on the back of my neck stands up. Fortunately I don’t pee myself. That was the most scared I have ever been in my life.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #22

Here's your sign!
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #23

She needs to be classified as an ID-10-T.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #24
Back On The Go

Hey, does anyone recognize which RV park that is in Yellowstone? It's been a while since I have been there, never in an RV, but that looks like spaces that are larger and more separated than any I remember seeing. Thanks.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Let natural selection take over.
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Don't they get a fine and evicted from the park for interfering with wildlife? They have already proven they can't be trusted near wildlife, why stop at just Yellostone, ban the couple from all national parks at least for a year.
That sounds good, but how would that work, exactly? I have been to dozens of national parks, and have never even been asked my name, much less had anyone take the time to try to look me up on any "allowed/not allowed" list.

They could revoke my annual pass, I suppose, but what would stop someone from just tossing the attendant 30 bucks or whatever at the gate and driving on in?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #27

I volunteer with NPS. You absolutely would not believe the stupid things people do, in every park. Approaching wildlife, trying to feed them, selfies with them, you name it, they do it. We post signs everywhere, warn people as they enter the park, warn them on the trails, doesn't matter. Some people are just slow learners. It's unfortunate but things like this happen every single year, multiple times. We tend to blame it on city people (sometimes referred to as cidiots) unfamiliar with wildlife, but really, folks, how stupid can you be?
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
... there was a grizzly bear and two rather large cubs on the trail coming toward me.
It was about this time that I realized that at some point during the encounter I had actually peed myself.
You're still a manlyman in my book.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #29
Director, FROG

Here's another from last month near the Paint Pots in Yellowstone -- apparently at least the third to date this year, including an elk cow at Mammoth Springs protecting her calf. That makes the "petting zoo" lady at least the fourth, even with the crowds way down.

Bison Attack Story from Paint Pots

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #30

People just won't pay attention to notices put there for their safety. People can't read or comprehend what it means? It must be "fake news" so I can ignore the warning about wild animals as part of Yellowstone.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #31

When some people go to Yellowstone they get a disease called Dumb and Stupid. I saw a guy trying to bugle like a Elk the only thing that saved him was a tree.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
It was about this time that I realized that at some point during the encounter I had actually peed myself.
Better than option #2. After a few minutes in warm weather at least option #1 dries out.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
I volunteer with NPS. You absolutely would not believe the stupid things people do, in every park. Approaching wildlife, trying to feed them, selfies with them, you name it, they do it. We post signs everywhere, warn people as they enter the park, warn them on the trails, doesn't matter. Some people are just slow learners. It's unfortunate but things like this happen every single year, multiple times. We tend to blame it on city people (sometimes referred to as cidiots) unfamiliar with wildlife, but really, folks, how stupid can you be?
The sad part is that often when people get hurt by animals the animal sometimes ends up paying the ultimate price for the idiot's stupidity.

My late wife and I were driving through Wind Cave National Park one year when a herd of Bison crossed in front of us on the road. I was driving a fulll sized van and there was a bull in the herd that was so big he could look me in the eye with me in the driver's seat. My wife gasped and said "Holy ----, he's HUGE". Neither one of us had the slightest urge to try and pet him. In fact I was worried he might take issue with the van sitting there on HIS road

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #34

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB77AbyUAAACKKA.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	233033  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #35
jkoenig24

Death fixes stupid.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
That sounds good, but how would that work, exactly? I have been to dozens of national parks, and have never even been asked my name, much less had anyone take the time to try to look me up on any "allowed/not allowed" list.

They could revoke my annual pass, I suppose, but what would stop someone from just tossing the attendant 30 bucks or whatever at the gate and driving on in?
I guess it's the same as some hunter getting caught doing something that results in his hunting license / privileges suspended and loosing his gun. Just go grab another gun from home or family/friend and go hunting illegally. See it done quite a bit on Lone Star Law and North Woods Law.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #37
jkoenig24

"have never even been asked my name, much less had anyone take the time to try to look me up on any "allowed/not allowed" list."

Ummmm, when you show your "Senior" pass (along with your drivers license) to get "free" access, officials KNOW that you're in the park. I expect that cameras at all points of entry capture the make, model, color and plate# of your vehicle so, Rangers did NOT have to "ask" for your information because YOU freely gave it to them upon entry.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #38

DW, GSH & I were in YS NP In 2012 and there were several bus loads of Asian tourist taking pictures within 10-20 feet and I thought then apparently they can't read English and someday someone is going to get hurt.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My late wife and I were driving through Wind Cave National Park one year when a herd of Bison crossed in front of us on the road. I was driving a fulll sized van and there was a bull in the herd that was so big he could look me in the eye with me in the driver's seat. My wife gasped and said "Holy ----, he's HUGE". Neither one of us had the slightest urge to try and pet him. In fact I was worried he might take issue with the van sitting there on HIS road
I think we saw that bull when we were at Wind Cave National Park. When we saw him, he was sitting on a hill overlooking the campground. He was so still, he looked like a statue. The ranger said he was guarding the herd which was grazing on the field behind him and out of sight. I've seen a lot of bison since then, but not one was a huge as the one at Wind Cave.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If that is their motorhome in the pic, it appears to be a Four Winds (Thor) so most likely not a member here in our forums.

This was intentional provocation by her, and I feel like they should be banned from Yellowstone as an example.
I thought that incidents like this always resulted in the offending person being banned from National Parks. If they renter any National Park and get caught it is a Federal Trespassing charge?
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote