Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 11:21 PM   #41

Dont poke the Bison they will poke back and you will lose
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
"have never even been asked my name, much less had anyone take the time to try to look me up on any "allowed/not allowed" list."

Ummmm, when you show your "Senior" pass (along with your drivers license) to get "free" access, officials KNOW that you're in the park. I expect that cameras at all points of entry capture the make, model, color and plate# of your vehicle so, Rangers did NOT have to "ask" for your information because YOU freely gave it to them upon entry.
Really? Last time I was a "senior", I was in high school. I did visit the Grand Canyon that year, but i am pretty sure that no one checked the level of education that I had attained up to that point.

Last year I took my daughter and two of my grandsons on a road trip to Great Basin, Arches, Canyonlands, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, and Grand Canyon NPs, along with Four Corners, Monument Valley, a bunch of national forests, a couple of national recreation areas - and the only ID I was asked for at any of those places was green, and had Jackson's picture on the front.

And I seriously doubt that every national park is tied into each state's motor vehicle database, or even NCIC. They may have a photo record of who *was* there, but there is no checking in real time to see who *is* there.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #43

Handed these out on my trip back in the early ‘90s. I saw a man with his coaxing his young children to come closer while he was standing a few feet from what looked to be a cow with a couple calf’s with only a small pine tree between them for cover. All I could think was don’t get your kids killed right in front of me you idiot. People don’t seem to be getting any smarter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B45D6B24-2DDD-431D-994B-E9C4D8537CE0.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	233066  
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Death fixes stupid.
Unless they had a bunch of kids and the gene pool lives on.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
and the only ID I was asked for at any of those places was green, and had Jackson's picture on the front.

And I seriously doubt that every national park is tied into each state's motor vehicle database, or even NCIC. They may have a photo record of who *was* there, but there is no checking in real time to see who *is* there.
Unless you're being sarcastic...

I think he was referring to the "Senior Pass" that's available for purchase and gets you into many National Parks and gives 50% off on camping. Those are registered with a number and we've had to present our drivers license and they checked the pass with some type of 'reader'. The same would be true of anyone who had another type of pass.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:42 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post

I think he was referring to the "Senior Pass" that's available for purchase and gets you into many National Parks and gives 50% off on camping. Those are registered with a number and we've had to present our drivers license and they checked the pass with some type of 'reader'. The same would be true of anyone who had another type of pass.
I *was* being sarcastic. I originally stated that I had never been asked for ID when entering a NP. The person that I was responding to implied that I was wrong, because you have to hand over your driver's license with your "senior pass".

I don't have a "senior pass". I am not eligible for a "senior pass", and won't be for several years.

To summarize my whole point, someone said that these people should be permanently banned from national parks. I wondered how that would work, since in my experience, they don't seem to keeping records of who is entering or leaving the parks. Someone then suggested that they *do* know who is entering the parks, because you have to show ID when you use your senior pass.

But you don't have to have a pass to enter the parks. Even if you have one, you don't have to use it - you can just pay cash.

They may or may not have cameras on the entrances and exits, but those would only show who had been there, as there is no way they are monitored in real time, to know who is actually currently *in* the park. Heck, the parks barely have enough budget to keep the lights on and the bathrooms clean-ish as it is - They are not going to have high speed network access to crime databases, or car registration databases, or anything along those lines.

So while it's great to say "ban the idiots", I just can't see any realistic method for enforcement.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:01 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
So while it's great to say "ban the idiots", I just can't see any realistic method for enforcement.
I get your point. About the only thing they could do would be to arrest you for 'trespassing' if you did something to attract their attention. Of course, idiots being idiots, the chances of them doing something to attract attention to themselves is probably predetermined.

I'm still wondering if the man that stood there and encouraged her by filming her approaching the bison is going to suffer any consequences. He'll probably end up putting his video on "America's Funniest Home Videos" and make a fortune.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:10 AM   #48

I heard...

She apparently didn't know all the laws, but thought she had herd immunity.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #49
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic7320 View Post

That made me LOL.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:18 AM   #50
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post

Furthermore, all LE have access to motor vehicle databases and NCIC. I believe that park rangers are considered LE. Of course, there are rules regarding the circumstances under which LE can access this information. They cannot do it willy-nilly.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #51

We used to stay in some questionable hotels when I was still working. I just came out of the shower and there running across the floor was the longest wild rat I'd ever seen. Or maybe a wild weasel.

Naturally I covered myself in case he was rabid and charged me. Then I realized it was a ferret. One of the hotel employees hadn't been able to find him in their apartment for a couple of days, so yeah, he probably was hungry, so my first instincts were probably ok. It was in Montana. Glendive.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic7320 View Post
Now THAT is funny!
Old 07-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #53

So did it strike anyone else as strange that there were all these people close enough to see, hear, and even record what that lady was doing, but NOBODY tried to stop her?

We were riding through the park early one morning and there was a MASSIVE lone bull bison ambling down the oncoming lane of the road (as they often do). There was also a foreign tourist who had parked his little rental car and was RUNNING alongside the roadway with his phone trying to take pictures of the bison. He was all excited, smiling, and pointing with glee at the animal as we approached. I quickly glanced at the bison and saw its eyes rolling back at the man, and its nostrils starting to flare, so I asked my husband to drive up between the bison and the idiot. Pretty sure we saved his life. But I didn't bother to roll down the window to explain why what he was doing was dumb (he might not have known English anyway). That, and we didn't want to linger. But we did watch as we slowly drove beyond to make sure the man had ceased his chase. Having ruined his photo op he was headed back to his car.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #54
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
How do some people reach adult age, without getting killed by a bus? The stupid runs deep.
I ask myself that question on a daily basis. Lol.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
Here's your sign!
Laughed out loud. Thanks

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #56
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
So did it strike anyone else as strange that there were all these people close enough to see, hear, and even record what that lady was doing, but NOBODY tried to stop her?

We were riding through the park early one morning and there was a MASSIVE lone bull bison ambling down the oncoming lane of the road (as they often do). There was also a foreign tourist who had parked his little rental car and was RUNNING alongside the roadway with his phone trying to take pictures of the bison. He was all excited, smiling, and pointing with glee at the animal as we approached. I quickly glanced at the bison and saw its eyes rolling back at the man, and its nostrils starting to flare, so I asked my husband to drive up between the bison and the idiot. Pretty sure we saved his life. But I didn't bother to roll down the window to explain why what he was doing was dumb (he might not have known English anyway). That, and we didn't want to linger. But we did watch as we slowly drove beyond to make sure the man had ceased his chase. Having ruined his photo op he was headed back to his car.
Did that a couple of summers ago when we went to Custer State Park, SD. There was a herd of at least 50 bison blocking the road. Though there were signs every 100 feet or so, people were getting out to take pictures. Told the violators they were supposed to stay in their vehicles and not to mess with the wildlife. Was told to shut the F up, this is a free country and we can do whatever we want.

The bull in the second picture just stood there while everyone drove by.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180922_135155867.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	233084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180922_135547922.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	233085  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post

I think you hit on one possible reason.

Also, some feel the world is getting to crowded with idiots and things like this help reduce the problem.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geobound View Post
Maybe she thought it was one of her children leaving and just wanted to say Bi Son?
I love a good pun.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #59
REL

Attached Images

REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #60

They say that some people are a few french fries short of a happy meal. I say there are those that are just the bun in the box.

Just north of Cherokee NC last August I took this picture from inside my car with the windows rolled up not even 10 feet away. We were stopped in traffic because of the herd of Elk. What you can't see in the picture other than the cows belonging to this handsome guy, just off to the left, is two women, yes from California, even closer with their back to this Elk taking selfies. They were lucky and the ranger broke it up before the Elk did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	elk.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	233140  
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote