Old 07-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

Wyoming Route 191 vs. 287

My daughter and son-in-law are headed west from Michigan to Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Teton NP. They are considering leaving I-80 and heading north to the park along Route 191 out of Rock Springs, WY or Route 287 from Rawlins, WY. They would prefer the "flattest" route possible or at best, the least number of switchbacks. From Google Earth, both routes appear to follow valleys/canyons for the most part. Any suggestions for the better route and/or pros/cons of each one? Thanks in advance for any help.

5water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
Gold Tee Box

We've driven 191 from Rock Springs to Jackson, and it's a good drive. In fact you cross a wagon train trail if you want to stop.

After Jackson, it's also a very good drive thru the Teatons and into the park, not to worry.

60+ campgrounds/400+ nights, 20K+ Miles towing since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

191 from Rock Springs will be somewhat flatter - 287 will go over Togwotee pass which is not that bad. If it were me I would go out on 287 and back on 191. Both routes are scenic. The east to west route over Togwotee seems less steep going up and the road is fairly new. 191 is a narrower road around Pinedale but not bad. I have travelled 287 or portions of it much more often than 191 so I may have some bias there. 287 will allow access to the park without the craziness of Jackson but again I am biased having frequented Jackson before it turned into a zoo.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

I've never taken 191, but I can tell you that if they don't take 287/Togwotee Trail, they will be robbing themselves of an outstanding piece of scenic road! The route isn't bad at all for towing, but it would depend on what time of year they intend to travel; as the pass can close due to weather early and late in the season. A quick check on conditions with WY DOT before heading out of Rawlins is always a good idea (dial 511).

This is my favorite drive in the entire country. And a stop in Dubois along the way for breakfast at Cowboys is always a treat! Oh, and don't forget to stop in and see the world's largest Jackolope….
Oldbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #5

We just did 287 from Rawlins on I-80 through Grand Teton NP into Yellowstone NP. It was an easy and scenic drive pulling our camper.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: 2017-39, 2018-61, 2019-64
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

Have been on both a half dozen times in the last 6 months, both empty in just the pickup, pulling the heavily loaded toy hauler, or driving the motor home. Both roads are great and will cause no problems.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote