Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Yellowstone camping

What a park!!!!!!!!! The only drawback was the campground at Flagg Ranch.
Seems the neagtive reviews were correct for the most part. Check in was disorganized and very haphazard ( credit cards left out on the counter with a load of people around), no idea of what sites were available or even if we had reservations. Three couples, requested sites together, ended up at opposite ends of the campground. Service was poor, restrooms filthy, showers worse. Rest rooms were cleaned one time the entire week, trash emptied twice. Not very good for $65 a night.
However if you like the parks then this is the place as it is 2 miles from the south entrance to Yellowstone and just north of Teton.
Anyone have CGs in mind that have full hookups near Yellowstone or in the park that are good?
motcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

We have stayed several times at the KOA in West Yellowstone and have loved it. It is very nice and has a lot of extra things to do there as well. There is also a campground by the Fishing Bridge. Need to have hard sided campers because of bears. Haven't stayed here, but have driven by it. Hope that helps.
ratherbecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

When we stayed at Flagg Ranch in 2010 those were the same complaints we had. I had heard that a new manager had taken over and improved the campground since our visit but it sounds like that isn’t the case. I’m sure they rely on their convenience to both parks for their business. Do they still only have 20 amp service or have they upgraded? We used Flagg Ranch to visit the Tetons and the south half of Yellowstone.

The only campground I can highly recommend for visiting Yellowstone is Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone Montana. The RV park is just a couple of blocks from the entrance to Yellowstone.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Grizzly is by far the most recommended campground, for hookups.
inside YNP, for hookups, Fishing Bridge is your only choice and it's tight.
personally, i would never stay there, i'd rather dry camp than be packed in like sardines.

we liked Madison for the west side and Canyon for the other side, but we're used to dry camping.

i'd never stay at Flagg. i chose to stay in YNP, to visit YNP and in Colter Bay to visit Grand Tetons.
i saw no advantage to staying at Flagg, not for location, price or reviews.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

I know this thread is several months old but I wanted to add another consideration for campers looking at Yellowstone. We stayed at the KOA south of Livingston MT for a week this past summer and loved it! It's a typical KOA but right on the Yellowstone river for fishers/swimmers/kayaking/kids. Indoor swimming pool, kids activities, etc. The north entrance to Yellowstone is 50 minutes away. Granted this is probably too far north for the south loop of Yellowstone but it's close enough to do the north loop. There's also another RV park about 20 miles closer to Yellowstone south of the KOA that looked okay but somewhat sparse on amenities as we drove past.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Flagg ranch also had a strange sewer pipe and electric hookup. When I went to hook up to the electric box it took me a minute to find the outlet. It was on the bottom of the box. I’ve never seen that before or since.

The sewer had two openings, one on the top that was too high for my black tank to drain, and one on the side that when used I had to hold my foot against the sewer hose connector while the tanks drained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5650.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	22247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5651.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	22248  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL