Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

Yellowstone in late July

We'll be pulling up to Yellowstone from Salt Lake City the last part of July, staying in Fishing Bridge campground. (Chose this one because it's in the park and offers full hookups.)
Likely to go up I15 through Idaho and in through West.
We're excited to go as we have been planning a trip there for some time, just wondering if anyone has any insite on the campground? Been there done that?

CG is hard sided trailers only because of frequent bears.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Team

hope you have reservations already.

for us, we didn't like how close the sites are at FB, plus no campfires are allowed.

we liked Madison and Grant and Canyon much better. but we are experienced dry campers and don't require hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

We stayed in West Yellowstone over the 4th of July last year.

Spent some time looking RV grounds over, they all look tight.

Take a few minutes to walk thru the RR Museum in town.

If I may suggest, take a small - medium cooler with drinks, they are kind of spendy at Old faithful.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

We have had reservations since Jan, so we are good to go. Thanks for the suggestion on the cooler and drinks, we'll do that to save some $$$.

I really want to see some wildlife (bear) so I'm excited. If by day 3-4 I don't see anything, I may stick a couple of beef sticks in my kids back pockets and see if that helps.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

best suggestion for seeing wildlife is this, ask the rangers where they have been spotted recently. Then after supper, drive along the road in that area. You will know where they are based on the people on the side of the road.

if you can, borrow a couple of pairs of binoculars too, so everyone gets a good look and no one feels left out.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #6

We stayed in FB with our previous TT (2012 RPod) and loved it, especially the scenery. If possible take the family on a Yellow Bus Tour. The tour guide takes the tour to out of the way areas to see lots of wildlife. Be sure and pack warm clothes: we had hail in July

Historic Yellow Bus Tour - Yellowstone National Park - Reviews of Historic Yellow Bus Tour - TripAdvisor
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

We stayed there last September. Campers are VERY close together. But we didn't spend time sitting around the site (we were out exploring the entire day) so the closeness didn't really matter. Showers are clean. Staff was great to work with. We didn't have any bears in the campground but did see a family of 3 along one of the roads. The park has a rule about unattended dogs left in campers for the day. So our dog didn't travel with us on that trip. Crowds were non-existent due to our timing of going after Labor Day.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

Fishing Bridge June 7, 2011

We left, by the time we were at the entrance the gates were closed . It was beautiful. We had no snow tires or chains, a bozo no-no
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	send1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	80826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	80827  
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

wow, it snows that much in Yellowstone in june and july??
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
Senior

Lamar Valley is supposed to be the best area for wildlife.
wrottdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #11

Our home is in Louisiana. We've made the trip several times, with and without grandgirls (now 11,13 & 16) in both a "C" and a "5th" wheel. July is crowded, but doable for a passenger car (we tow a Malibu) or a very small (25' or less) "C". Carrying an ice chest is good advice. Lot more places to picnic than to obtain food & drink, not to mention cost.

We prefer Buffalo Bill State Park, on the east entrance, about 40 miles out, and near to Cody, Wy, plenty of spaces but only limited hookups. Everything is available in Cody, including Walmart, and prices, including fuel, are very reasonable. As for the snow, on our last visit had about 2" of hail in the middle of one day, but no snow.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #12

Cody is one cool stop. If you like the old west you'll love Cody. Don't miss the musium. Plan 2 days
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPYES View Post
wow, it snows that much in Yellowstone in june and july??
It can! Especially in June.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
We have had reservations since Jan, so we are good to go. Thanks for the suggestion on the cooler and drinks, we'll do that to save some $$$.

I really want to see some wildlife (bear) so I'm excited. If by day 3-4 I don't see anything, I may stick a couple of beef sticks in my kids back pockets and see if that helps.
This isn't too far fetched. We've seen Park Rangers go after parents who were trying to stick their kids on the backs of buffalo grazing in the meadows for photo opp's. Oh, the bears love peanut butter.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
BuckeyeGal

Fishing Bridge

FB is great. Yes it s tight fit, but we enjoyed it a lot. One tip: take extra length of sewer hose; hook ups are at very back of the sites. Also some sites slope away from sewer. Good luck

Tvc
buckeyegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #16

Stayed and Loved It

We stayed there in July two years ago.... I will mimic that which has already been said. The sites are VERY tight! There was a tree directly in front of our spot, making us take well over an hour to try and back in.

That being said, so long as you can fit on the site, you should be good. We stayed for 3 nights and never really spent any time other than "sleep" time at the campground (I probably would have been disappointed if we had).

We did see a couple of bears (running away from 100's of sight seeing people). We didn't see as many as we would've liked. It was an amazing trip, I hope you enjoy yourselves!!
just4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #17

We stayed at FB in late July 2013. Tight sites for our 35' Windjammer, but otherwise no problems. Yellowstone is crowded and busy in the summer but it is still one of our favorite parks. We put many miles on the TV running all over this national treasure. Take lots and lots of money!
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #18
I Break Everything

We stayed in late July about 4 years ago. We made reservations at Fishing Bridge the day reservations opened. It was pretty amazing. The only snow we encountered was under a few trees. It was shorts weather for sure on our trip. Mosquitoes were out in full force in some places. We'll be going back one of these days, we were only there for a week. It did get into the 40s at night

We headed up Northwest from central Texas, then over to South Dakota then back down. We didn't run into any snow. We really liked Fishing Bridge. There are some that say it's just a huge parking lot and close together. Yep, close together, but not so much we couldn't get slides out and be comfortable in the evenings. You will rarely be in your RV, except maybe for lunch and the evenings. We didn't experience bears in the campground, but did elk and bison. We did see bears, in Lamar Valley I think.

We did all the, "cheeseball" tourist things. We did the covered wagon dinner, saw about 30 badgers on the way. You can take a small cooler with you to the dinner destination, it's not advertised though. We went to the resorts, stores, geysers. We crammed as much in as possible. We had dinner at Old Faithful Lodge Bear Pit Bar, I think one was the Lake Lodge - it was a little fancier. We rented a small boat and spun around Yellowstone Lake. This picture is of our cat, he started puffing up while looking out the window. I checked out what was upsetting him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jerry bison.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	80828  

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #19

Did FB in Yellowstone for 6 nights 3 years ago! Love the park, very large. Sites are tight did mostly sleeping there. Got a light snow one night in mid June. One tip I will pass on, if you qualify for a senior pass get one, otherwise get the Golden Pass ( was called that at one time). We went in and out each park enterance at least once. When we stayed there, there was a charge each day per person, with the pass you enter any park for free. Also good for half off camping at COE sites which are plentiful in TN. Fuel is much cheaper outside the park, about 50 cents a gallon cheaper if I remember correctly. Love the park, lots and lots to see if you do all the loops! Did 7 days, good have stayed longer! Enjoy it, one of the better parks we have visited. On the bear sittings, in late afternoon folks gather by the groves to site bear, atcouple of times spotters let us view through their high powered cameras from 500 yards or so out. Same with the mountain goats on north side of park. Free range buffalo seen to block inter loop in late afternoon as well, quite a traffic jam as they do tend to take over. If you have the time, we saw bigger groups of buffalo at Cluster park outside Rapid City as well as wild donkeys.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #20
Traveling Two

Spaces are too close. Would not stay there again. Going to look at Canyon next time.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote