Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #1

Yellowstone or Shoshone

Hey Folks,
I could really use some direction on planning a trip out west preferably to the Yellowstone National forest or Shoshone area with the intention of doing the wildlife thing, hiking a bit and maybe a little fishing or whatever the day brings.
We're pretty new to RV ing, only one shakedown trip in this NOBO, although I have spent a little time setting up the rig for off grid type camping.

That said, I think I'm pretty well set-up for Boondocking and prefer to go that route, but other than Campendium and the like, I'm a little worried about rolling out west only to be disappointed by perhaps poor planning.

My set-up is a Chevrolet 2500 HD 6" lift and a NOBO 19.3 with two (2) 40 gallon propane tanks, four (4) lithium lifePO4 100Ah batteries and solar with a Victron 3000 watt charger/inverter, controller and a Cummins 4500 Watt digital inverter/charger gen set.
I also added a 120 gallon water tank to the truck, black water caddy and the addition of 5000lb lift bags.
Clearance however on the rig has a lot to be desired, so I'm limited with that, but this will get me some boondocking experience at least.

So... Now with a few more changes, I'm looking at trying to get out west in August.

Any feed back on areas to go that have been confirmed would be awesome. Really looking for wooded stream type locations that someone can vouch for at least initially until I can do some recon myself.

Thanks in advance
longshot300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:40 AM   #2

The number one thing you want to do is research the National Forest MVUM maps for whichever NF you want to go to. From that you’ll know what roads you can disperse camp from, and how far away from the road you can go. (Most of the time it’s a 300 foot maximum distance from the road). If you’re hoping to disperse camp outside of Yellowstone and then drive into Yellowstone for a day trip just be mindful that A; Hundreds of other people have the same idea, especially in early-mid August, and B; some of the best dispersed camp spots could be a two hour drive just to the get to the park entrances. I use the MVUM’s, and then cross reference them to satellite maps to see what the area looks like.

As for the roads, while not paved, for the most part they are pretty good for dispersed camping. You will encounter washboard roads, and some times you will encounter washout ruts through the lesser used/maintained roads. While you might run into ground clearance issues from time to time, in the wooded areas you’ll likely run into height issues more because of overhanging and low tree branches, or an occasional tree branch/full tree laying across the road. I used to camp with a Jeep and an expedition trailer, and I always carried a small wood hand saw to cut down/cut up branches, a 20 foot 3/8” chain to drag bigger branches/trees off the road, and a couple of bridging boards to cross washouts or help with steep inclines/declines.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #3

Just remember when you are in the area of Yellowstone you may need to have a couple of cans of bear spray with you.

This sign was on the road to Yellowstone National Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_462.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	272629  
Old 05-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #4

Noted.....
It sounds as though it might be a better option to do a campground inside Yellowstone, do the touring thing there, then move off to dispersed grounds.

It doesn't make sense driving four hours a day or so back and forth to and from the park.
So.. I think maybe a Yellowstone campground of sorts then dispersed camping after.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:12 PM   #5

We boondock every July in the Island Park area. It is just 19 minutes from the West Yellowstone entrance, and the Henry's Fork river runs right through there.
rodigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #6

For people coming from the East, it takes some adjustment to all of the public land. There is no NF called Yellowstone, just the NP. There is a lot of beautiful country all around the Park. There are campgrounds, but plenty of boondocking opportunities. Order some National Forests maps and start studying them.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:49 AM   #7

Yea... good information for sure. We would obviously be coming from the east, so I guess it makes sense to boondock somewhere to the east, and use the east entrance to the park for part of the trip.
Then retreat to the hills off the grid sort to speak for awhile.

A bit overwhelming for sure trying to decide where to go and when ... I guess just pick a spot and go for it.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:48 PM   #8

The area between Cody and the east Yellowstone entrance (Hwy 14, 16, 20) has limited boondocking opportunities unless you want to drive far to the park entrance. (From Buffalo Bill Reservoir to the entrance is an hour, plus whatever time/distance from your camping area to the highway is). To the south of Highway 14 there’s basically nothing unless you camp down South Fork Rd, which you access from Cody. (So about an hour and half to two hour drive from your camp spot) My suggestion coming from the east would be to go up the Chief Joseph Hwy northwest of Cody and take that to Crandall Road. Crandall Rd meets Hwy 212, which then takes you to the NE Yellowstone entrance in Silver Gate. There are lots of both NF campgrounds and off the road boondocking spots/areas from all three of those roads. Depending on how close you want to be from the entrance, you can range anywhere from half hour to two+ hours of travel.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote