Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 10:44 PM   #1

Yellowstone south entrance then how to get back to IL

We are at west Yellowstone now and want to drive through the Tetons on way back to IL/WI border. I80 once we get on it runs the length from Wy to IL.
Looking for advice on how to get from Tetons to I80.
I’m 31 class A with f150 toad. Looking to avoid switchbacks and steep grades if possible.

2 routes I see. Hwy 26 from through Moran to Casper them take I25 to I-80
Other route is 191/189 south of Tetons and hit 80

Anyone have a suggestion or feedback on either route?

Did the climb from Bozeman to W Yellowstone on way in. That’s a narrow 2 lane at about a decent grade for like an hour ( felt like)with poor turnouts to let traffic by. I’m all for using the engine to brake but I don’t want to be trying to go into a turnout on the way down to let traffic by. There is NO passing lane on this stretch One lane with shitty small turnouts is less than ideal that’s why I’m looking at south entrance.

Thanks!
Aulli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:06 AM   #2

If not wanting to see the town of Jackson US-287 (Moran Jct) to Rawlins (I-80). If wanting to see Jackson 191 to Rock Springs (I-80).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #3

Stick with your plan of Hwy 26 from through Moran to Casper them take I25 to I-80.
Jackson isn't worth the out of the way trip. It's a tourist trap for the $.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #4

The best views and photo op for the Tetons are on the Teton park road. You can loop through, come back to 191 at Moose then to Moran junction heading back east on 26 coming out a Rawlins an onto I-80.
Jackson has turned into a high dollar mosh pit and all of the RV parks are jammed wall to wall. I was there twice in the last ten years and had a good time in spite of the crowds. But I remember it as a child way back in the 50's and it's not the same nowadays.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
TRD

We are from SW Michigan...
We drove with 25' TT from West YS. then down to Jackson. Yes, it's a high priced stop. We stayed 2 nights in Jackson. But I would have always kicked myself if I didn't go. We had fun seeing the tourist trap spots like the Million Dollar Saloon and the Town Square, but also Beautiful places like Jenny Lake, historical stop at Schwabacher Landing and Mormon Row.
If you bale out at Moran, you miss some beautiful scenery! We then went down to Rock Springs and on to Cheyanne.

P.S. This may be too late for you, but the GyPSy iPhone app was fantastic for Yellowstone and the Tetons. It gives you a self guided tour of the parks using GPS to know your location and provide driving instructions with POI's you would never get from most books. Check out the reviews for GyPSy.
2018-12 days/2019-83 days/2020-12
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote