Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

Yellowstone/Tetons 2013???

We just got home from two weeks in Cimmaron Canyon State Park, New Mexico. Now we are trying to plan a trip for next summer. We have never been to Yellowstone, and now that the kids are bigger we are planning on going there and the Tetons. We live in the DFW area. I know we need to plan on at least 2 days up and 2 days back travel time. We like to stay in state park/national forest campgrounds for the lower cost. We don't mind primitive camping as long as water is close by. Any suggestions on where to stop going up or coming home? Also any suggestions on where to camp once we get to Yellowstone or the Tetons. There will be 3 or 4 RV's in our travel group and we would like to stay close together. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
starnes550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

It would help to know what type of TV you have, pop-up, TT, fifth wheel, Class C, etc.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Sorry about that. We have a 2012 Rockwood 2702 SS. Our TV is a 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab. The other folks with us have similar sized rigs.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

starnes550,
We returned from a 4400 mile trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. I live in Arlington and we drove 600 to 700 miles a day up and back. Two days is a haul, we did it in 2 1/2 each way. If you look online at the national park, they are first come and no reservations.We
stayed @ yellowstone was nice and very busy with children. We stayed overnight @ KOAs the entire way and it took the hassle out of finding a spot. It was very busy at both natioal parks (lot of campers at both places) The trip was wonderful!!The reason I replied is to let you know of what we never saw any open camping in either park.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Jestercyco,
Thanks for the info. We were planning on stoping twice on the way up and back, so 2 1/2 days each way. Found some KOA's along the way and are considering them. Have read that sites in Yellowstone are pretty tight in some campgrounds, but a few campgrounds have larger sites. We may try to find a campground outside the park and just drive in each day to see the sites. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnes550 View Post
......... Also any suggestions on where to camp once we get to Yellowstone or the Tetons. There will be 3 or 4 RV's in our travel group and we would like to stay close together.
I just returned from a trip from Phoenix to Salt lake City to Jackson Hole WY to Colter Bay Campground to West Yellowstone and the Grizzly Campground.

When you get inside The Grand Tetons or Yellowstone expect to pat from $55 a night and up. You really don't get much for your money.

Colter Bay inside The Tetons National Park is OK for a trailer but was a little tight for a tall motorhome. Just trees, dirt and unlevel spaces. All it has is its in the woods and close to Jackson Lake. Lots of Forest Ranger movies, briefings, talks and even some hiking. We spend 3 days but 2 would have been OK with us.

If you plan to stay inside Yellowstone most campgrounds are rustic and many dry camping areas. We decided to stay in West Yellowstone outside the west entrance at The Grizzly Campground. For $55 you get a level space, grass trees and full hookup with free wifi and cable TV. We stayed 4 nights and it was worth it. Lots to do and see in W Yelowstone and you also have grocery stroes, restarants and lots more. Not a big town but you can buy your souviner cheaper.
Fuel prices were reasonable for the area.

If you are coming into Jackson Hole WY and then north that is a nice busy town with everything you could want. I'm sure you can setup there and drive north into The Tetons if you like.

I'm sure you will find more info from others

Bottom line is to make reservations as soon as you know your firm dates.
That also depends on what time of the year you are heading there.

Good luck

Here is a link to my original message asking for help also before the trip

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tone-25237.htm
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

Thanks Iggy, I figured the rates would be high. That's the 2nd time I've heard Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone mentioned. I'll check them out. Thanks again!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #8

stayed at fishing bridge rv park in YellowStone, 2009, was nice and convenient, however spaces were on the small side, have fun and at that you will
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #9

Check out Bakers Hole CG outside of West Yellowstone $16/night. Gros Ventre is an excellent place to stay outside of JacksonHole Wy. for $20/night. If you plan on coming out the east entrance there are several forrest service campgrounds like Eagle Creek for $15/night.
cellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #10

Grizzly is a great campground - well worth the money!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnes550 View Post
We just got home from two weeks in Cimmaron Canyon State Park, New Mexico. Now we are trying to plan a trip for next summer. We have never been to Yellowstone, and now that the kids are bigger we are planning on going there and the Tetons. We live in the DFW area. I know we need to plan on at least 2 days up and 2 days back travel time. We like to stay in state park/national forest campgrounds for the lower cost. We don't mind primitive camping as long as water is close by. Any suggestions on where to stop going up or coming home? Also any suggestions on where to camp once we get to Yellowstone or the Tetons. There will be 3 or 4 RV's in our travel group and we would like to stay close together. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Two days from Dallas Ft Worth to Yellowstone is around 700 miles/day!

We have driven US 287 from DFW to I-70 near Denver. Mostly four lane divided in Texas and then two lane.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Grizzly is a great campground - well worth the money!

Grizzly Campground pics. Safe and secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone_July2012 110.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	17452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone_July2012 114.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	17453  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #13

Lots of good info folks, thanks. Keep it coming.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #14

Grizzly has the cleaness restrooms i have ever seen.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #15

we went in 2002 so my info is old. we stayed at cody because of the cost; problem is that u are still a long way from yellowstone.
jackson hole is expensive and abt the same distance (as cody) but u go thru the titons to get to yellestone (very scenic).

ok, it took us 3 days to get up there from ne la. KC was first stop. we could probably have made it to rapid city the second day but it was late and we stoped east of there (murdo comes to mind...there is a car on a pedistle there and a car musium).
we liked mitchel (corn palace) and got a free glass of ice water at wall. south dekota was out favorite. (Custer St park, hot springs, mt rushmore, and crazy horse). yellowstone was a little disapointing after that...but still worth the trip.

a must see at yellowstone is beartooth pass that goes into the NE entrance of yellowstone. that made the trip for us (don't pull thru there, it has some tight curves). the road is US 212.

we also made a trip across US 2 thru ND to glacier. my advice, if u get off the interstate, fill up when u get a chance. on 2, the stations (for diesel) were few and far between. interstates aren't a problem.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #16

I'll 2nd Grizzly, great place, and outside of Jackson Hole there are a few that are Great, resinable in price.. Verginian is Good but at $70 a Night it get pricy.. Do your homework and you could find great deals from online

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote