Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

Yuma this Feb.

We just booked a site for part of February in Sunny Yuma. We have made many a long trip with trailers but usually prefer to keep it winterized with the thought of driving on ice. The furthest we drove in winter is straaight south to Florida. And hey i'm from Canada no problem with driving on ice or snow. We just got back from a 3000 km trip over Lake Superior. Yes we saw lots of snow just not towing. So we will cross into Michigan and head straight south. If its cold we will try to head as straight south as possible before heading west and we may need a night or 2 in a hotel or the unwinterized trailer. We ussulaly camp till temps reach mid 20's F. If weather is nice we can skirt acoss the U.S. on a southwest direction. We will be watching the weather every day and if we run into any bad weather will will hunker day for a day or 2 or try to head south of of it.

These are the options I am thinking of.
1/ Take the most direct route south to I20 and then head west.
2/Detroit to Indiana through Arkansas to Dallas Fort Worth and El Paso.
3/ The most direct SE to and through Kansas and Northern New Mexico but I am not expecting that to be a viable winter route.

I would be open to ideas and experience on these routes. I also would like to know what are the best resourses to watch and plan and alter my route. This would be based on weather outlooks and temperatures and wind maps as well as weather makers moving across the U.S.

Having watched the last few weeks of weather northern New Mexico looks like it woas not a great open and the choice would have been to get straight south and skirt across. Dipping down to I10 might have ben and option but lengthens the trip.
I have attached a few pics from Our Lake Superior trip because they are pretty but also I did not want to pul the trailer in any of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	194331   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	194332   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	194333   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	194334  
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

Ok no replies. Too much info and no specific question? I can't edit down the original post so let me ask this question in regard to a trip that will take us through the Midwest and across the south. What would be your favorite weather resources. I like to see temps and snow and rain. I think wunderground just neutered the intellicast site in merging the too. This map used to be a one click link to give me a clear pic of the current state of things.

Also anyone from Michigan in Yuma? What's your preferred route?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.gif
Views:	63
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	195008  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
WFD

While we are not from Ontario, but Manitoba, we have driven to Yuma many a time. Once you get to midwest you could possibly tie in to same route. We go as straight south as possible. We take I-29 south and then cut over to US81 and that ties into I-35. We then go cross country on Hwy 54 through NE and KS and tie into I-40 in Tucumcari, NM and west to Albuquerque. Once there we take I-25 south, and that is a beautiful drive for us, weather usually warms up in a hurry down that route, and we catch up with I-10 taking us through Tucson and then I-8 into Yuma. The odd time around Albuquerque we have come across some cool weather, sometimes snow, but have lost that pretty quick going down I-25. More concerning is your threat of snow/ice in the NE/KS areas. Just watch the weather forecast, download a good weather app, and keep your eye on forecast. If it's clear skies, the make hay, if bad weather in forecast, be prepared to hang tight somewhere and wait it out.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #4

Hi WFD,
Thanks for the reply. Your starting point is much further north and west than ours. At this point it looks like we may try to head as straight south as possible to get out of the cold and dewinterize. the cut some miles if weather is good we may head south west toward Dallas FW area. Then south and skirt across Southern NM. through Tucson. We have lots of time so we may boot it down south to above freezing temp and then we will have a few days to kill in NM or Tucson. If we hit bad weather we can use those days to lay low in the trailer of find lodging if needed.