Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #21

Years back we went through the tunnel with a small trailer but had to wait for?( don't remember what) went through, pulled off to the side and enjoyed the view. Notice some water dripping from under the truck, looked underneath, water pump. Drove to Hurricane to a NAPA store, bought a water pump, drove to St George found a park and changed the pump, lucky for us a small auto parts store by the park and continued our journey. Tunnel?? Oh ya nice tunnel ;o)
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #22

If anyone want to see all the Utah NP take a look at my suggested map and route.

Lots to see in all these areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	235013  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If anyone want to see all the Utah NP take a look at my suggested map and route.

Lots to see in all these areas.
No Capitol Reef? Not staying in the NP campgrounds?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #24

I like the idea of visiting Utah. I was considering the Pacific Northwest area, but with Covid Utah seems like a good choice right now. I'm not looking for anything populated to visit and your post looks right up my alley. Thanks for the post.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I like the idea of visiting Utah. I was considering the Pacific Northwest area, but with Covid Utah seems like a good choice right now. I'm not looking for anything populated to visit and your post looks right up my alley. Thanks for the post.
The only problem is Zion is just jammed with people. I would actually skip that park.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The only problem is Zion is just jammed with people. I would actually skip that park.
It all depends what time of the year you go.
What month did you go?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #27

Quote:
It all depends what time of the year you go.
What month did you go?
October

And right now its way worse than it normally is because of Covid.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:31 AM   #28

We went once at Christmas time. It was raining when we entered the lower end of the tunnel, and snowing when we popped out the top! We played in the snow for a while then back into the tunnel. Snowing when we entered the top, raining when we exited the bottom!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #29

For those of you that have been through the tunnel, did you notice all the scrapes along the tunnel walls from oversized vehicles? I would imagine that can really do some damage.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:36 PM   #30

We did Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Mesa Verde two years ago. Grand Canyon was crawling with people like ants. The others were busy also, but nothing like the Canyon. My favorite thing was the "Narrows" in Zion. We were camped outside the park so decided our first day there to just ride the shuttle all the way through and listen to what the recording said at each area. The road stops at the Narrows and you have a very easy 1 mile walk to the Virgin River. From there it is wading if you want to go further. I couldn't stand it so went back on the shuttle and next day by myself and waded another mile or so up the river. A really unique experience. Don't do it in the spring, however. Flash floods are a serious danger because you don't know what the weather is doing up stream and there is no place to get off the river if it starts to flood. Of course they monitor it and keep folks from going if the threat is too great. But a wonderful experience.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
Don't do it in the spring, however. Flash floods are a serious danger because you don't know what the weather is doing up stream and there is no place to get off the river if it starts to flood. Of course they monitor it and keep folks from going if the threat is too great. But a wonderful experience.
It's actually just as big a problem starting soon because of the monsoon season that is close to starting. Especially late August into September.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #32
Site Team

I watched a YouTube video today of a couple driving through. Said permit was 15-20$, and they only allow RVs through up til a certain time each day.
Quote:
Zion NP Utah

This is the Zion NP Tunnel that is really cool to drive in a car thru and back.
If you have a large RV and want to try this going 1 way to get out or in the park you need to pay for a permit so they allow 1 way traffic while you drive thru.
I was following a Airstream trailer and had to stay centered on the center line.

No lights inside the long tunnel but have access windows cut out of the sides to allow air flow and a little light.

Here is a video on Youtube. >>>>>>> https://youtu.be/Ni_UcpyCaRY

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I watched a YouTube video today of a couple driving through. Said permit was 15-20$, and they only allow RVs through up til a certain time each day.
Yep..it's a PITA and is why we chose not to do it when we were there.

We did a day trip and went through the tunnel with just our vehicle. Just as great an experience and its free.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #34

About five years ago we got to the tunnel entrance in our 24 foot class C. A ranger stopped us and asked, "can I see your tunnel pass?" I said, "our what?" We had been waved through the check point where you're supposed to get measured and pay. I thought that was a little weird, but also thought heck, they must know what they're doing. Anyway, when I told the ranger what happened, he rolled his eyes, got out a tape measure, collected the fee, and let us through. Utah National Parks are not to be missed!
vi11agep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah