Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

1/2 time oven/microwave

My microwave is crazy...the lights, turntable and the fan work, but the thing puts out no heat. Does anyone know what the problem is or how tough/costly it is to fix it. Thanks for your input!
stylinstephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #2

Actually, the microwave oven does not "put out heat" per se. It functions by the Magnetron tube in the unit generating microwaves that agitate the molecules and moisture within the item to be cooked, to the point of generating heat within the item. Your oven may have a defective magnetron or transformer, if all other power functions continue to work. Also may be something as simple as an internal fuse.

My guess is that it would likely cost more to repair than to replace.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Does the microwave part work? I just installed one last fall and haven't used the half time feature yet.
My guess would be a fuse inside the unit.
would need to know what isn't heating.
If u feel comfortable going inside, I would suggest seeing if something isn't making connection.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #4

I see that I might have misread the original post. Seems that the o/p was referring to a combination convection/microwave oven, not just a simple microwave oven. My bad - never heard it referred to as a "1/2 time microwave" before. Sorry about that

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #5

Made by Apollo. Before I bought one couldn't find anyone that had one. After I installed mine, found that they appeared in travel trailers a couple yrs ago. Usually u heard from those. That had problems. It was the only over the range con/microwave that would fit that I could find. Only time will tell if it will hold up.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #6

The Apollo things have been very problematic based on all of the posts about them failing. Put a regular microwave in and move on. Might take a bit of modifying, but well worth it in the end.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

After having our Apollo fixed several times, I finally fixed it by putting it in a dumpster and buying a microwave at Target. That Apollo was just an agravating piece of junk.
tazzerbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzerbp View Post
After having our Apollo fixed several times, I finally fixed it by putting it in a dumpster and buying a microwave at Target. That Apollo was just an agravating piece of junk.
out of curiosity, what problems did u have with urs? would like to know what to look fdw to.
i had talked to one person that had one and he was happy. it was only after spending the money that i started seeing problem post.
i've used mine on two outings but was afraid to try the combination (half the time) feature because i had it installed on a 15 amp breaker. day before yesterday, i ran the 20 amp circuit. will give it a test at the end of the month.

my biggest fear is having problems with the control panel. went thru this with a sharp conv/microwave several yrs ago. the last time it went out, i tried to buy one and the part cost more than the appliance. on it, the fan and light would come on for no rhyme or reason. i would thought a heat sensor but the repairman changed the control panel (twice under warranty).
Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
I see that I might have misread the original post. Seems that the o/p was referring to a combination convection/microwave oven, not just a simple microwave oven. My bad - never heard it referred to as a "1/2 time microwave" before. Sorry about that

...VTX-AL
Just checked mine and it sais "1/2 Time Oven TM by Apollo", never noticed it before.
NSX1992 is offline   Reply With Quote