Old 10-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

1st season in our GT5 36B5 report

Well today marked the end of the 2019 season as I dropped our coach off at the Ford dealer. On our trip to to Myrtle Beach and Hunting Island, the coach developed a loud differential hum under torque.

I had a remote mechanic come out and check it out while at Hunting Island and he did see anything obvious like a differential oil leak. I decided to keep the vacation going and drove it home back through the Smoky Mountains. Took it to the Ford dealer end of June, he verified it was the differential and also showed me lots of metal shavings in the diff oil.

It would have been 3-4 weeks or more down time if I had them perform the rebuild at that time. He said if it was him, he would just keep driving it unless it become very loud/hot and have it repaired at the end of the season. That's what I opted for as Ford would NOT do the right thing by the customer and send a complete diff/housing that they could bolt up in no time. Thus, I purchased a Chevy tow vehicle instead of the Ford Edge I was eyeing. So yeah, I put another 4000 miles on it with an annoying loud HUM. Radio turned up was the fix LOL!!!

So happy to report we love our 2019.5 36b5 after 5200 miles this season. Had a few things to fix in the house, but nothing I couldn't handle myself. They did forget a few screws on the wheel trim on the passenger side as well. I am glad our coach drives very well without any chassis modifications at this time.

Planning a trip out west to Yellowstone next June for a couple of weeks, so that's something to look forward to through the winter.

2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
NXR

Nice. This should give some assurance to people who are worried about quality problems. Did you ever have to take it back to the dealer for repairs?

And I'm sure the price had nothing to do with your decision to purchase a Chevy.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	217911  

Old 10-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

Just because they aren't repairing it the way you want doesn't make it bad. They have certain ways to do things. They are going to fix it so I don't see an issue.

As far as the toad goes, good luck! Hope you don't forget a step!!!

Hopefully you have a problem free trip to Yellowstone. It's very beautiful there, don't forget to see the Tetons and drive to Jackson Hole

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Nice. This should give some assurance to people who are worried about quality problems. Did you ever have to take it back to the dealer for repairs?

And I'm sure the price had nothing to do with your decision to purchase a Chevy.

Ray
Nothing that required the dealer to repair in regards to the house. Most issues were just poor QC and carelessness of the factory workers.

The Chevy was a little less, but was still upset with Ford so that took the Ford products off the list. The Chevy is nice and easy to tow. Very happy with it so far.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Just because they aren't repairing it the way you want doesn't make it bad. They have certain ways to do things. They are going to fix it so I don't see an issue.

As far as the toad goes, good luck! Hope you don't forget a step!!!

Hopefully you have a problem free trip to Yellowstone. It's very beautiful there, don't forget to see the Tetons and drive to Jackson Hole
Yes, we are in the process of planning out the must see sights while we are out there.

Flat tow with the 2019 Equinox is easy peasy. Hook up tow bar, turn on the Duo Stay and Play braking system, put vehicle in N, push the ignition once and you are ready to go. But you are right, have to have a routine and stick to it.