Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

1st Trip in the new coach is complete

Had a very successful first trip this past weekend. All systems performed as planned. After getting 130 miles driving on the freeway I have to stay it drives very well. I have been reading for two years about the complaints of driving a F53 chassis with owners dropping 10k in suspension upgrades. I experienced none of that. Getting passed by semis didn't really do anything at all. Never felt the coach was all over the road. The ride was not harsh and I never felt excessive leaning in the least bit. This all on a bone stock chassis. And I was most likely light as I had no water and a light load. The tires were 90 PSI for max loading, so yes, they were over-inflated for the weight. Still drove very well. In any event, the one casuality was the door closer/shock that got ripped off and the mount bent 2 times by the wind pulling the door open quickly.

Does anyone have upgrades to this? or remove it? Seems very susceptible to wind gusts.

Here is hoping trip #2 this weekend goes as good.

2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
NXR

Nice! Good to hear on all. Is that the entrance door with the damaged shock? If so it seems an odd place to put a shock. Any idea what your mileage was on that GT5? I'm planning for 6 MPG whenever ours gets delivered.

I'll need to get a small external propane grill like that. My Amazon shopping cart is about to get more full.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #3

Ray,

I was getting between 6 1/2 to 7 on my last trip but that was pulling a trailer of about 3K pounds. Some hills around Lake Mead from Vegas to Kingman. A little better going there then coming back but I had winds both ways... tailwind there and headwind back. About 125 miles each way almost all freeway.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
NXR

Nice. So maybe by me planning for 6 I'll get 8 and when the price of gas jumps to $4 I'll still be on budget.

Ray
Old 04-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #5

That's probably a safe bet. I'm figuring 6 1/2 to 7 is probably the best I'm going to get with that weight coach, especially when towing.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #6
NXR

BTW, how is the noise level on the highway? Can you easily have a conversation with the person in the other front seat or do you wish you had headsets? Have you used a phone app to look at the levels quantitatively?

We never drove the GT5 but drove a Winnebago Vista and it's noise level was on the high side. Unfortunately I did not think to check the sound level with my phone.

And Eddy, yes, my Amazon shopping cart is rapidly closing in on $2,500 because I don't have anything to transfer from an old RV.

Ray

Ray
Old 04-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

In any event, the one casuality was the door closer/shock that got ripped off and the mount bent 2 times by the wind pulling the door open quickly.

Does anyone have upgrades to this? or remove it? Seems very susceptible to wind gusts.

Here is hoping trip #2 this weekend goes as good.

[/QUOTE]

Mine did the same thing on our first trip. I reinstalled it a couple times and then eventually just took it off.

Did you have any problems using the Blackstone grill with the quick connect propane?
Old 04-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Nice! Good to hear on all. Is that the entrance door with the damaged shock? If so it seems an odd place to put a shock. Any idea what your mileage was on that GT5? I'm planning for 6 MPG whenever ours gets delivered.

I'll need to get a small external propane grill like that. My Amazon shopping cart is about to get more full.

Ray
No idea about MPG.. Just watch the needle move LOL! Yes, it's the shock on the entrance door. It's not gonna last long that's for sure.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
Old 04-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
BTW, how is the noise level on the highway? Can you easily have a conversation with the person in the other front seat or do you wish you had headsets? Have you used a phone app to look at the levels quantitatively?

We never drove the GT5 but drove a Winnebago Vista and it's noise level was on the high side. Unfortunately I did not think to check the sound level with my phone.

And Eddy, yes, my Amazon shopping cart is rapidly closing in on $2,500 because I don't have anything to transfer from an old RV.

Ray

Ray
Noise level is not bad until you start to climb a grade and the RPMs start to climb. Overall I would say the noise level is what you expect from a gasser. I am going to upgrade the two speakers on the radio as they are pretty tinny. Oh yeah, the Amazon cart has been a busy place of late lol!! I did plan on 4k in electronics and accessories. I am still a little under budget but that won't last.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks View Post

Mine did the same thing on our first trip. I reinstalled it a couple times and then eventually just took it off.

Did you have any problems using the Blackstone grill with the quick connect propane?
The 22 inch table top Blackstone grill worked EXCELLENT! I have a 12 foot hose and it does take some time for the air to purge when you first hook it up. So be patient. It's low pressure. Love it cause it's easy cleanup and is not messy like normal grills. Plus you can't beat bacon/home-fries/eggs in the morning on it!! I picked up a folding grill table at Walmart that is half metal and half plastic. This way you place the grille on the metal half and don't worry about heat.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

EddieJ......

Please tell me that your rear tires are NOT off the ground in your camping photo.

That’s a risk you don’t want to take. When you engage your parking brake, it is supposed to lock your rear wheels. You don’t want your rig to roll with the stabilizer legs down. The damage from a roll-off would be $$$$$$$$$.

Was your site that unlevel?
Do you use the auto leveling system?
If you did, it may need to be re-calibrated to prevent this.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
NXR

Thanks a lot. Yet another thing (griddle or grill) to add to the list.

Ray
Old 04-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
EddieJ......

Please tell me that your rear tires are NOT off the ground in your camping photo.

That’s a risk you don’t want to take. When you engage your parking brake, it is supposed to lock your rear wheels. You don’t want your rig to roll with the stabilizer legs down. The damage from a roof-off would be $$$$$$$$$.

who let the dogs out ? roof -off . lol
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
who let the dogs out ? roof -off . lol
Boy oh boy....you make one little typo

I fixed it though.

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
EddieJ......

That’s a risk you don’t want to take. When you engage your parking brake, it is supposed to lock your rear wheels. You don’t want your rig to roll with the stabilizer legs down. The damage from a roll-off would be $$$$$$$$$.

Site had a pretty decent side slope at the rear. The other two rear tires were solid on the ground. There wasn’t much of any front to rear slope. That was an auto level as well. So a little combo of both. I felt there was no worry about roll. Good eye !
Old 04-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
NXR

You know, I saw that when I zoomed around but thought it was an optical illusion. I'm going to get these chocks, four total: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Chocks are supposed to be about 1/4 the height of the wheel so a 6" one should work out well. The first thing you do when jumping off a fire engine or other apparatus is chock the wheels so I feel more comfortable doing that even on level ground.

Ray
Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #17

I thought it was a little funny that they put the gas strut on the bottom of the door, usually you see them on the top. My 34H5 is the same. It's pretty close to the bottom of the door so it doesn't get in the way. The picture makes it look farther than it is. My last coach had the same except on top. It's just to prevent the door from slamming against the sides but they are susceptible to wind gusts. I suppose you could use a stronger strut or make some kind of latch but the awning might be in the way.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #18

In another post someone had put a screw with paracord attached to the door and the jam to prevent the door from flying opening.
stlcardbesties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardbesties View Post
In another post someone had put a screw with paracord attached to the door and the jam to prevent the door from flying opening.

From KansasFR3Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4909.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	201417
stlcardbesties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #20
NXR

Good idea. My first thought was a home-type spring thingy until I realized how much noise it would make as you drove down the road.