Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #21

I have a 2004 Georgetown 326ds with the Onan 5500 Gen Set and 2 AC's. I have also ran both AC's using the generator on several occasions. So far, no problems. Hope you get this solved.

hatchet
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATCHET19 View Post
I have a 2004 Georgetown 326ds with the Onan 5500 Gen Set and 2 AC's. I have also ran both AC's using the generator on several occasions. So far, no problems. Hope you get this solved.

hatchet
I have GT 360 XL, Oman 5500 Thus able to run both ACs on generator or Electricity no problem. (Knock on wood)
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #23
Tater

My rig 2012 351ds. Have run both a/c's on gen from NY to Disney in August and had no problems either. Same gen onan 5500.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #24

Thanks all for letting me know it should work. I'll just have to add it to the list of broken items on a NEW RV. Pathetic QC. I hope I can get a resolution before my next rip in a week.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #25

Update - Unlnowns

After contacting Main OnanCummins Factory Dealer that knew nothing about a 5500, then a local RV repair facility that was not an approved for Onan warranty work. then finally was able to be slipped into an authorized repair facility this am. What a waste.

Before even listening to me, he had the gen cover off and under the coach with a meter. He was very cryptic and frankly rude. Eventually he said everything was OK.

I went inside and the forward AC was on because it was already warm and it had been on for 30 seconds to a minute. I then initiated the rear ac and everything ran fine. The amps were 2 x 15, Total apx 30 amps. Temp apx 80.

When I was having the problem, the OAT was 92 and each AC dew apx 19-20 amps, Total would have been apx 40.

So, I am at a loss. Apparently, the gen can not put out full rated power (46 amps) and even less when it is operating in warm temperatures. Forbid I take it out west into the upper 90s or 100+.

The anal sphincter attempted to collect $120 (1hr minimum billing) for 5 minutes of looking at it before he even talked to me. If he had talked to me, I would have started the gen, turned on the ac units and everything would possibly be the same without his meter installed. Same result. He was just ^*&*& no warranty revenue and tried to collect from me. I would have gladly given him a nice tip, but after being such a ____. I left when he proposed I just leave. He knew he was being ______.

Still a bad unresolved situation. Anyone that has had luck running 2 ac units, has the temp been warm (80s) or hot (90+)?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #26

I have run both A/C's with no problem in 100 degree weather even with other items running like water heater, lights and TV
The generator should keep up with both A/C's easily
Sorry to hear your problems, an authorized dealer should check it for free.
Our dealer here does
Old 07-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #27

i'm still wondering why the shutdown? if the generator was shutting down I would expect an error code. I actually had to tow my trailer down to a onan service center today for an issue I am having. the first thing the technician did even before trying to start it was to pull the error codes out of the generator. so they are there! I don't know where you are located but i'd try another service center. I would not expect the generator to shut down from the load of the two a/c's. at worse it should trip a circuit breaker, but not shut down.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i'm still wondering why the shutdown? if the generator was shutting down I would expect an error code. I actually had to tow my trailer down to a onan service center today for an issue I am having. the first thing the technician did even before trying to start it was to pull the error codes out of the generator. so they are there! I don't know where you are located but i'd try another service center. I would not expect the generator to shut down from the load of the two a/c's. at worse it should trip a circuit breaker, but not shut down.
I guess there is some confusion, The second AC unit started shuts down, NOT the Generator. Long story, many details, but in short, I found out from Cummins this is the second time in a week this has been reported to the Cummins/Onan dealer. The system details are identical. The only solution is to have FR/GT "upgrade" to a 7K unit. I'll keep all updated.

Problem is with Gen, ATS, and AC units timing re low voltage. Defect (bad design by GT) in how Gen and ATS interact.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #29

What brand of ATS do you have.
My Furion ATS use to disconnect when it had a heavy load applied to it. I measured the voltage at the relay and it would drop to 100 volts then disconnect.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #30

Whatever GT installed. I think it is something like Progressive, but can't get to the label.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #31

2 Acs on 5500 Onan 50 Amp Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I guess there is some confusion, The second AC unit started shuts down, NOT the Generator. Long story, many details, but in short, I found out from Cummins this is the second time in a week this has been reported to the Cummins/Onan dealer. The system details are identical. The only solution is to have FR/GT "upgrade" to a 7K unit. I'll keep all updated.

Problem is with Gen, ATS, and AC units timing re low voltage. Defect (bad design by GT) in how Gen and ATS interact.

Have you thought of an Micro-Easy start for one of the A/C's? It is not a hard start capacitor. A little pricey put may solve your problem.
Or something cheaper would be auto delay timers installed on the A/C 120v input wires?
I don't understand why this issue would be a problem because mine and many others don't have it. I also have the Onan 5500. What mine can't do is engage the ATS when the A/C's are in the on position after I start the generator.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #32

I have 270s and just installed second AC unit (15000 BTU) at the rear of the RV. All wirings were already there. It was 40 min job. I tested both AC at OAT of about 85F with generator without any issue. I ran both AC for about an hour. Last week, at a campground with 50amp service, we ran 2 AC during the day time and 1 AC during the night for whole week. The day time max OAT was about 89F.

When we bough 270S used, it had 2000 miles and 1 year old. The dealer told me that they had to replaced the AC and said they are seeing high failure rate on Dometic AC units. I did not ask what type of failures they were experiencing.

Hope you find a solution soon.
Narkomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #33

Ok guys, help me out here.. What's an ATS?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #34

Automatic Transfer Switch. Do you have one?
Do you know what it does?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #35

I second the hard start cap.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-85887.html
Old 07-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #36

Go here:
http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/

Download the following manuals for your HGJAB:

983-0101 Operator
983-0201 Parts
983-0501 Service
983-0600 Install

The error codes are in the Operators Manual. Start with the error codes, but I don't think its your generator. It outputs 48 amps. Plenty of power to run both ac's. But you may have other things running that are over drawing the available amps. Like the fridge on VAC, electrical element in the water heater, battery charger, all pull current large amounts of current. It would be a good idea to run the fridge on LP and turn off the electrical element in the water heater.

From your description the issue is the added power load of starting the second AC. Dometic states in there manual a 5.0kW generator is the minimum required to run dual ac's and also list the compressor's Locked Rotor Amps (starting amps) at 70. This current draw last only for an instant and will not trip the RV or generator current breakers, but does briefly overload the generator. This overload is typically not an issue but the voltage drop can trip out the transfer switch.

The best option is to add hard start capacitors which is relativity easy. If the issue continues, then look at the transfer switch.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #37

These posts are very interesting.

I have an issue with the 15K unit circuit breaker popping inside the coach when on get Onan 5500 and the OAT is 90 to 100 deg F.

I have found that propping the cat panel door open allows the breaker to cool enough so as not to trip.

I think the hard start capacitor is my answer too.
Thanks to all.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #38

Had a similar problem while attempting to run only 1 ac with Honda 3000is generator. Kept overloading generator. Got very frustrated. Changed our plans because it was summertime and I just knew we couldn't boondock as planned. Then one day I remembered the water heater was on electric not gas. Turned water heater off, and BINGO!!! AC runs perfectly.

Be sure to check and make sure that everything else electrically is off in your RV.

Good luck
TXCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #39
Senior Veteran RV Owner

My 5.5 KVA Onan runs both of my A/C's with no problem. I typically turn on the generator 10-15 mins before I reach a campground. That allows the A/C's to run and cool down the coach before I park and hookup to shore power.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #40

I wouldn't think FR would put two 15K BTU AC units in a 27 ft. rig. My 34.5 ft. GT has a 15K as the main and a 13.5K in the bedroom. I disagree that the only solution is to put a 7K Onan in to run both AC when this set up using the 5500 unit is just about the industry standard for years. There are 1000's of RV's of all shapes using this generator or a version of it having no problem running all of the electrical needs of a particular rig, 1 AC or 2 AC's or not. You will see 7K gensets on 40 ft. DP that might have 3 AC units, heat pumps, residential fridges etc. but not in a 27 footer. IMHO the OP has a faulty AC unit, not Onan generator and I though I too have complained about some Forest River quality issue, I really don't see them to blame here. Beside, his rig is under warranty so whatever the issue is should be repaired for free. All part of the aggravation with RV's in general we all put up with to enjoy the lifestyle.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, 500, 50 amp