Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

2003 New to Me 325 Battery Voltage Question

Just purchased a new to me 2003 325 Georgtown and have been reading all the post here and I must say they are very helpful. Thank you everyone!

I am going to have to put new batteries in this spring. I am going to convert the two 12V to two 6V and put disconnect switches on both coach and chassis.

Since there seem to be so different kinds of battery issues why doesn't everyone install a simple cheap DC volt meter that can be switched between the coach and chassis ( and off) to check voltage in different states. Like resting, charging on gen or shore power, charging on engine power etc. It seems like very little effort to catch something going/or wrong with very little effort.

Thanks in advance.

Earl
Wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #2

Very easy DIY project. Find a good place to make the connection other than at the batteries (possible corrosion).

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

Not so fast kemosabe, its been done by numerous individuals in various forms. This is the one I made that connects directly to the coach batteries. It's but one example.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #4

Bubbles - Thank you for posting the picture of your installation. The fact that this is a very easy DIY mod was my point. In reading all the post about batteries the main theme was always a multi-meter and having to physically test the batteries. With just a little effort problem solved and no more guessing. I think I am going to do it. Thanks.
Wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #5

I installed one of these!

https://www.amazon.com/LinkStyle-Dig...s%2C197&sr=8-4
H3OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson1 View Post
Bubbles - Thank you for posting the picture of your installation. The fact that this is a very easy DIY mod was my point. In reading all the post about batteries the main theme was always a multi-meter and having to physically test the batteries. With just a little effort problem solved and no more guessing. I think I am going to do it. Thanks.
A simple readout of voltage can tell you:
The battery is dead.
The battery is charging...and at what stage assuming you have a 3 stage charger.
Anything else is worthess as far as accuracy goes.

But if you want to know state of charge, when it is full and you can stop charging, how many amps you are putting in to your batts or taking out and how long till you need to recharge at the current use rate. As well as when it is dead or charging...then a true battery monitor is the only choice.
If you don't boondock and you stay plugged in then a voltage readout is fine but I still wouldn't be without a multimeter with a clamp amp to figure out WHAT is going wrong...and where.
Example...you come back to your plugged in coach and your readout reads 12.5 volts. Whats wrong and how can you be sure without a meter?
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
A simple readout of voltage can tell you:
The battery is dead.
The battery is charging...and at what stage assuming you have a 3 stage charger.
This is enough for my application (monitoring) and I do have a multimeter on board because this voltage may not be the only issue one may encounter.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This is enough for my application (monitoring) and I do have a multimeter on board because this voltage may not be the only issue one may encounter.
Sorry if that came across as critical of you Bubbles...it was really to make the point that everyone needs a multi meter and boondockers can't rely on a voltage readout for the information they need.
It is definitely convenient to know the battery is charging or dead at a glance!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Sorry if that came across as critical of you Bubbles...it was really to make the point that everyone needs a multi meter and boondockers can't rely on a voltage readout for the information they need.
It is definitely convenient to know the battery is charging or dead at a glance!
Didn't take it personal; just offering a different perspective. it's ones choice as to how much useful information is needed for their application.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #10

I like it simple. I installed a small digital volt meter so I can tell some basic things about the battery. I know if my battery is charging. I know when it is time to run the generator. I know the basic resting voltage. If you know your unit it is pretty easy to keep track of what is needed.
Digital volt meter that I installed in the side of cabinet. They draw almost nothing so mine is unswitched and just on for me to see at anytime.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #11

Simple for is somple folks

I put a $2.00 Chinese volt meter in range hood. Taped into hood light pos.

Couldn’t find photo. Simple 12v led display.

Only need current voltage for me.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #12

I wanted a meter as well.

Amazon had a BM-2 meter. Installs anywhere. Easy. A Bluetooth voltmeter.

Records data. Extremely effective. Watching it teaches you all about battery charging. AlL info if you understand the math.

And it has alarms for when it is an issue. All for about $35.

The downside is it does not give you amperage being consumed at the moment.

I know the consumption of major items. Also displayed on my ems if I want it.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, voltage