Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #1

2004 Georgetown 370XL Catylitac Converte stolen

My catylitac converter was just stolen on my 2004 Georgetown Motorhome. I have turned it over to the insurance company and it will be replaced.
I know you can't keep someone from stealing something if they want it bad enough, but you can make it harder for them to steal it. This is a big thing almost every where. When a thief can get from $50. to over $200. for each catylitac converter they sell to a scrap dealer. Few of these are being sold to be reinstalled on cars as they are being sold for the precious metals inside.
My question is, I have read where it doesn't hurt to run a bypass pipe instead of using the catylitac converter on the 1999 through 2004 with the Ford chassic F53 with the V10 engine. I don't have to have an emissions test on my motorhome. I don't believe there is a o2 sensor to the cat on these years. The cat converter is going to be replaced but since it will be at the storage lot most of the time I don't want to make it easier for them so I would like to replace it with a straight pipe and save the cat for when I get rid of the motorhome or if rules or laws change.

Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #2

On many vehicles folks have replaced the cat with a straight pipe in states that don't test for emissions (this is an illegal act) and can only be done if your only O2 sensor is upstream of the cat. I would not recommend this.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
On many vehicles folks have replaced the cat with a straight pipe in states that don't test for emissions (this is an illegal act) and can only be done if your only O2 sensor is upstream of the cat. I would not recommend this.
What he said. Don't do it. Your original idea of having the insurance company take care of it is the right thing to do.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #4

Thanks SeaDog, and Money 78865 for your answers. I have heard several conflicting stories about it being legal or illegal it wasn't until I read your answers that I did pull up the web site about cat converters I that I thought there might be some loop holes.
Now I'll spend time looking for a way to protect it. It is in the shop right now so it should be replace by early next week unless they have problems getting it.
The storage lot were it was was worthless to protect it as they had 2 rolls of Rvs in front of mine where they service them so it blocked lights and camera's where I had it parked. I know if someone wants it , they will take it, so I'll just try to make it harder to take then the one parked next to me.
Any way thanks for your answers.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Not only that, but the downstream O2 sensors monitor the cat function. If the sensors are not present, there is no signal going to the computer to regulate the air/fuel mixture. Both your air/fuel mixture and your long term fuel trim will suffer. It will also throw codes.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

Yes, this is a problem, especially on vehicles with higher ground clearance. So, pickups and 4x4s are also easy pickin's.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #7

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Not only that, but the downstream O2 sensors monitor the cat function. If the sensors are not present, there is no signal going to the computer to regulate the air/fuel mixture. Both your air/fuel mixture and your long term fuel trim will suffer. It will also throw codes.
Exactly! The downstream sensor on the 2006 Tahoe went flakey and reported that the catalytic converter was bad. When I reset the codes, it would go a couple of days before the code returned, so I knew it was an intermittent thing. That's unusual for a catalytic converter--either it's good or it's bad. I needed to test it. You can't just put a multimeter on the O2 sensors; they have a 4-wire connection, two for the heater and two for the sensor.

My son has a knockoff GM Tech II tester. He was able to plug it into the OBD port and read live data as the engine was idling--from the O2 sensor upstream of the converter and from the downstream one. We let the engine warm up while he fiddled around getting set up.

A good system shows the upstream sensor voltage jumping all over, from .3 volts to over a volt, but the downstream sensor should be rock-solid around 0.7 volts, showing that the converter is getting rid of all the undesirable exhaust products. And that's exactly what we got. Got a new O2 sensor at the auto parts store and no problems since then.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #8

One thing you can do is contact your state Representatives and tell them that they need to protect against this theft by enacting stiff penalties and jail time for this specific theft. Also makes it illegal to buy and sell from junk dealers without proper paperwork.
My state of SC is doing just this because there have been so many CATS stolen in all vehicles.

https://www.wistv.com/2021/03/20/sc-...nverter-theft/
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #9

Catylitic Converter Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
My catylitac converter was just stolen on my 2004 Georgetown Motorhome. I have turned it over to the insurance company and it will be replaced.
I know you can't keep someone from stealing something if they want it bad enough, but you can make it harder for them to steal it. This is a big thing almost every where. When a thief can get from $50. to over $200. for each catylitac converter they sell to a scrap dealer. Few of these are being sold to be reinstalled on cars as they are being sold for the precious metals inside.
My question is, I have read where it doesn't hurt to run a bypass pipe instead of using the catylitac converter on the 1999 through 2004 with the Ford chassic F53 with the V10 engine. I don't have to have an emissions test on my motorhome. I don't believe there is a o2 sensor to the cat on these years. The cat converter is going to be replaced but since it will be at the storage lot most of the time I don't want to make it easier for them so I would like to replace it with a straight pipe and save the cat for when I get rid of the motorhome or if rules or laws change.

I am sorry to hear about the theft of your converter and I worry about that since I have a Class A motorhome; although, I do keep it in a gated storage facility.

My question is... has anybody come up with an good ideas on how to scare thieves off like motion lighting or alarms you can mount under you frame that runs on batteries?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #10

Theft of converters seem to be on the rise due rising cost of precious metals. RV rental place near me had 7-8 converters stolen. Reside under MH indicated that a reciprocating saw was used to to cut our either end. Thieves had to carry units over a hundred years as a heavy cable was used prior to block drive entrance. Not sure how to prevent a thief of one of these units.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:42 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for all the reply's. The insurance company just sent me an email and the cat will be replaced next week. The cost will be $2,501. and change. Of that I will only have to pay the deductible of $250. I don't have anything good to say about Thief's but I am glad it doesn't seem that they did any other damage. I plan on taking a flashlight and check everything early next week before they work on it. I noticed the front jack on that side wasn't going up all the way but it could just be low on fluid.
The gentleman handling the claim suggested welding a piece of catwalk or something like that just under the cat and having it welded to the frame. I am going to talk to the shop that is working on the Motorhome next week and look at that.
The insurance company's and police know that something needs to be done, but I don't think anyone wants to go to the trouble of fixing it. It would be easy enough to make it illegal for any place to sell them except a salvage yard or buy them except a scrap yard and only there with proof of a title of the car it came off of. Harsh, yes, but not impossible.
When this happens to enough people laws will change.
Thanks Garrette for the information. I haven't checked that web site yet will do so later tonight.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
It would be easy enough to make it illegal for any place to sell them except a salvage yard or buy them except a scrap yard and only there with proof of a title of the car it came off of. Harsh, yes, but not impossible.
It would be fairly easy to require record the drivers license number of anyone selling one of these to a salvage yard. Some of the bigger ones around here did that during the last round of catalytic converter thefts.

Glad you got it fixed at minimum charge. It does seem unfair that you should have to pay to get it secured.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #13

Every now and again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
It would be fairly easy to require record the drivers license number of anyone selling one of these to a salvage yard. Some of the bigger ones around here did that during the last round of catalytic converter thefts.

Glad you got it fixed at minimum charge. It does seem unfair that you should have to pay to get it secured.
Every now and again I take a load to the scrap dealer. Usually not so much for the money, but as a recycling gesture. It's collected copper pipe fittings and brass faucets, water pump from my Chev. 5.3L engine (huge chunk of aluminum), stuff like that. It does a little more than cover the gas, maybe a fast food meal for the two of us.

The scrap yard copies your driver license, maybe takes a picture, and documents everything you brought. It is clear that they regularly work with the police. This is North Carolina. How about your state?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #14

Can we feed 240 volts directly to the cat to let these thiefs learn a lesson 🤠
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, georgetown, tow