Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

2012 Georgetown steps

Hello. So my steps have had a pop noise when closing. Well yesterday they started ratcheting. I need to pull it apart and see what’s broken. Anyone run into an issue like this? It had the link done to it a while ago.

I think they are puppetry steps? But not sure. It’s pouring out right now so can’t crawl under and look. I did however verify that it’s the gear inside the motor hat is stripped. So I need to get a motor. I have the 3 steps.
Anyone?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #2

Your steps are either Lippert or Kwikee. Lippert no longer manufactures steps and has acquired Kwikee. You can google for Kwikee electric steps series 25 motor for replacement. If your steps are Lippert I'm not sure if the motor for Kwikee is interchangeable with Lippert but I would think so. Extend the steps so you can remove the motor and get the part number off it. Never heard of puppetry steps. Your issue is not unusual.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:36 PM   #3

Thanks bubbles. Stupid autocorrect. That was supposed to say Lippert steps. I got the model number, LCI 164194. I will pull the motor this week. Just glad it happened at home and not on a trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BEE9F61-1E7C-4AD0-84BF-FD1CD8FE5F32.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	205676  

Old 05-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

Common problem with these steps. Shop around a bit for the parts before you go stright to Lippert. When it happened to me...I found better prices on Ebay on the same part.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Common problem with these steps. Shop around a bit for the parts before you go stright to Lippert. When it happened to me...I found better prices on Ebay on the same part.
Yep I’m going to pull the motor tonite and shop the part number. So far I’m seeing about $80 for a motor if it’s the right one!

Old 05-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

These steps have a bad reputation, keep extra parts on hand ie: Center Bolt
I also have the same steps. I did not have a motor failure but center bolt failed 2 times within 6 months of new. I did not want to wait for another dealer appointment. My dad in Florida Machined a replacement bolt from a Chevy Caliper Pin. It is still holding strong 5 plus years and almost 50,000 miles.

fyi .... I did have the dealer perform the RECALL for my Lippert. They added a support to address support issues for Motor / Center Bolt
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #7

Good to know. I’ll have to check and see if my steps are under the recall. If they were I believe the previous owner would’ve had it done as they seemed very meticulous.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #8

Ok. I pulled the motor and pulled the gear out but don’t see any damage. I do see some of the tips of the teeth are worn down on the big gear. And I found some fragments on top of the frame of the steps. It looks and feels like the gear is made from some type of plastic. Which makes sense since the motor gear is metal.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Ok. I pulled the motor and pulled the gear out but don’t see any damage. I do see some of the tips of the teeth are worn down on the big gear. And I found some fragments on top of the frame of the steps. It looks and feels like the gear is made from some type of plastic. Which makes sense since the motor gear is metal.
Yes, I believe plastic is correct. All the recall did was add a part (structure) that would keep the large main gear pivot bolt from dropping out when and if it breaks. It does not prevent the bolt from breaking. It is/was a crap shoot as to who's bolt would break. If the recall was done on your steps I believe there will be a bracket installed (may have rubber bumper) that covers up the head of the large main gear pivot bolt (which requires an allen wrench to remove and install).
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #10

I believe this is the bolt; if you ever need one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	205779  
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #11

Mine use to make a poping noise when extending and retracting. After several months the pivot bolt fell out.
Lippert replaced it twice and all 3 steps did the same thing. All the pivot bolt were welded in place, so it could not be replaced. After the third time lippert replaced them with Kwikee steps after they had purchased Kwikee. No problem after 4 years.
Check to see if the pivot bolt is loose by removing the motor and wiggle the steps to see if the pivot bolt moves.
Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #12

Thanks for the info. I checked the gear and it seems tight. But I’ll pull the recall plate and check the pivot bolt tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #13

I would just ditch the crap Lippert "Coach Step" steps and get Kwikee steps. Lippert couldn't build a good power step so they bought the best out there, Kwikee. You may want to call Forest River and tell them you have had multiple problems with your steps. They may offer you the Kwikee's at a very good price. That's what they did for me, I think I paid something like $400 vs. retail somewhere around $900. Well worth the piece of mind the steps won't break on a trip, or, as you are stepping out of your rig and you take a header, which is what happened to me. Good Luck.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I would just ditch the crap Lippert "Coach Step" steps and get Kwikee steps. Lippert couldn't build a good power step so they bought the best out there, Kwikee. You may want to call Forest River and tell them you have had multiple problems with your steps. They may offer you the Kwikee's at a very good price. That's what they did for me, I think I paid something like $400 vs. retail somewhere around $900. Well worth the piece of mind the steps won't break on a trip, or, as you are stepping out of your rig and you take a header, which is what happened to me. Good Luck.
Thanks for the tip. I know the price on the Kwikee 3 step is ridiculous!!! I have the part ordered though and will use that for now. But if and when they break again I will place a call to FR and see if they can help with the price. Seeing as how I have owned solely FR for 15 years and have never had a bad thing to say about them.

Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Thanks for the tip. I know the price on the Kwikee 3 step is ridiculous!!! I have the part ordered though and will use that for now. But if and when they break again I will place a call to FR and see if they can help with the price. Seeing as how I have owned solely FR for 15 years and have never had a bad thing to say about them.

Thanks again.
I looked on Ebay and found an "open box" set of steps for 400.00 from an RV dealer that was trying to sell them. A customer had returned them, so the customer lost money. Bad for him, but good for the buyer.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #16

Funny, when I replaced my Lippert steps with Kwikee's, I tried to sell the Lippert steps on Craigslist and didn't get one taker. Besides being junk, there was "nothing" wrong with them. After a year in my garage, I put them on the curb on garbage day for the scrappers to snatch up, pretty heavy so at least they made a couple of bucks at the scrap yard!
Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Funny, when I replaced my Lippert steps with Kwikee's, I tried to sell the Lippert steps on Craigslist and didn't get one taker. Besides being junk, there was "nothing" wrong with them. After a year in my garage, I put them on the curb on garbage day for the scrappers to snatch up, pretty heavy so at least they made a couple of bucks at the scrap yard!
I failed to say the ones on Ebay were Kwikee brand steps. I did not buy them because Lippert finally, after repeated phone calls, replaced mine with Kwikee steps.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #18

By the way picture posted is called a shoulder bolt you should fine them in any good hardware store I believe I even seen thenm in Lowe's in the special racks with slide boxes.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #19

OK. well the gear I received is wrong. the gear I need (fan gear) isn't available for the 3 step anymore. So now I`m thinking of maybe going to a 2 step since my bottom (3rd step) is an inch or so off the ground. I`ll have to measure to see if a 2 step will work. I am still going to make a couple phone calls to FR and Lippert and see what they will do.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #20

Dodge Guy is the gear you need not available because you have the older Lippert junk steps "Coach Steps" and they don't make them or parts anymore because they bought Kwikee Steps. My guess is the still have the 3 step Kwikee name steps which are what I bought from Forest River at a price less than half the going rate.

Tags
2012, georgetown