Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

2013 GT 351DS Suspension Bushings

Local truck tire dealer won't do an all wheel alignment because there are no metal casings around any of the rubber suspension bushings. Ford says that's the way it comes out of the factory nowadays. Anybody else run into this situation? I'm starting to regret ever going down this path...
kmbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #2

Find someone else! I am a truck mechanic with 35 years experience. If the rubber bushings are in good shape there is no reason not to align ( if you are having issues ). They are the ones to inspect the suspension for wear. There is no difference between an encased bushing versus a non encased. BOTH HAVE RUBBER! It sounds like they are trying to sell you work you don't need.

Why do you want the alignment and what year and mileage is on the vehicle?
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #3

2013 with 4800 miles. Going to put another 2000 miles on it in a couple of weeks. I've already been through the broken sway bar bracket ordeal
I feel like I've bought a honey do list!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

Can you explain more about what happened? An alignment has nothing to do with the sway bar.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

nothing "happened". we're going on vacation soon. 4800 miles on it. wanted oil and filter changed and an all wheel alignment for safety's sake. going to put another 2K miles on it over vacation. took it to a national brand truck tire center. they noticed the broken sway bar bracket and pointed out the wear on not only the sway bar bushings, but the leaf springs as well. took it to ford and they fixed the sway bar and its' bushings and that's all. took it back to the truck tire center and they still won't do the all wheel alignment. they say, due to the bushings issue, that the alignment will be no good in no time.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

There is no reason to have a vehicle aligned if you are not experiencing difficulties like wandering or pulling to one side or abnormal tire wear. I did not read anything that stated this previously. The first part of an alignment is to see if the steering and suspension is within specs. The second part is to adjust those parts that do not fall within the specs. The tire center shot down doing the first part to sell you work that they say was needed before they could do the alignment. Typical sales pitch. Remember, You ONLY have 4800 miles on this vehicle! You did say that the sway bar link was found to be broken during an oil change. I did not read previously that you felt difficulty with the vehicle swaying in corners or excessive rocking. With the low amount of miles and the year of your vehicle I believe the sway bar link and bushing problem might have happened from excessive rocking from side to side at low speed. Maybe a very rough entrance road into or out of a campground. Did Ford say what might of happened? Did they cover it under warranty? If you are not experiencing any problems as I stated earlier I wouldn't waste money on an alignment. As far as dealing with a national brand truck tire center, I work for an international overnight delivery company and our tire vendor of choice is most likely the same national brand truck tire company you are eluding to. The bottom line is that it is run by ordinary people trained in sales and not honesty. Stick with what Ford says as long as they are picking up the tab under warranty.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

You didn't do the CHF, did you?
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, suspension