Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #81

Got some things accomplished this weekend! I have now completed the chf in time for our trip on memorial day weekend! Front went smoothly. Rear had to use jack on driver side after passenger side was in. Think the rear was not sitting as level as front. Also installed a surge guard beside the auto transfer switch. I picked up 2 180 valve stem extensions for the rear and 2 2" ones for the front. Rain just hit so will have to wait on that. Taking her in Tuesday for front end alignment. I was quoted $235 which seems high according to some posts. Kevin approved it though.
:camperfam
Old 05-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #82
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Wow, you've been busy. What parts did you use for the CHF. I'm going for the inside surge mount too. How long did the CHF take you?
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #83

For chf no parts. Just a socket and wrench and jack on hand just in case. I will try it out this weekend. If it is good as everyone says I will get the hell wigs for the front.

For Surge guard I cut a board and painted it black and mounted it beside the auto transfer switch. Mounted the surge guard and wired it up. I cut the 50amp cord about 2-2.5' away from where it comes out of transfer and connected that. Then spliced the cord end now cut off and connected to input. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400539091.793521.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	52804
Old 05-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
For chf no parts. Just a socket and wrench and jack on hand just in case. I will try it out this weekend. If it is good as everyone says I will get the hell wigs for the front.

For Surge guard I cut a board and painted it black and mounted it beside the auto transfer switch. Mounted the surge guard and wired it up. I cut the 50amp cord about 2-2.5' away from where it comes out of transfer and connected that. Then spliced the cord end now cut off and connected to input. Attachment 52804
Oh no, you installed your surge guard upside down. The electrons will not flow properly that way. Looking good!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #85

Funny! Actually I wanted to make sure the cord, input end was at lower position to be able to secure properly with clamps. You can mount it either direction vertical or horizontal and upside down but not laying face up. Clamped twice like originally installed so you don't pull it off when routing out that whole.
I also got the LCD and love that it shows the voltage and current draw using on each leg. You can see witch components really need the power. Got to decide where I want to mount the display.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #86

Got Georgia (351 GT) back from garage.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #87

They did alignment. Camber was out 1 1/2 degree, tow was out, alignment was out and they centered steering wheel. $250 glad I'm sending that bill to FR.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #88

Had a great Memorial Weekend trip! Drove 370 miles with the new set up. Greatly improved! Drove with one hand most of trip even with rigs passing on I-16. No pulling to the right any more and steering wheel is centered. When drive through low spots or uneven places in road could tell the sway is less and corrects quicker. Looks like I'm ordering the hellwig links for the front.

Interesting note: This was our first trip since I installed the Surge guard. Plugged in at the campground when arrived and instant fault detected. One line on outlet showing low voltage, less than 90volts. Called front desk and they sent someone right away. He opened up panel and ground wire was not connected. He put on new wire and closed up. His meter showed 120 both legs. I plugged back in and still same fault showed up. We both wandered if my surge guard was bad. So I ran my extension cord to next pedestal and it powered up fine no faults. That got him re-looking at our pedestal. He removed outlet and it was burned on the sides. Nothing visible from front or outside panel. He replaced outlet and all worked correct again. So now I am a believer in the surge guard!! Come to find out the man fixing out pedestal was the owner! Super nice and thanked us for being patient and was grateful our surge guard caught the problem. He gave us all icy's at his store for the trouble and we went swimming to cool off! Thanks for great service!!

Tags