Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

2014 351DS - Custom driver side cupholder\map pocket

I have a 2014 Georgetown 351DS. One of the few things that annoyed me was the cheap little folding cupholder on the driver's side wall. It was mounted too far away for me to reach easily, more difficult in the dark, and just, well, cheap.

I knew I wanted to change this, and in 2015 Forest River did!

This part can be ordered from your dealer and easily installed. But I thought I'd build my own.

I used inexpensive pine and pocket holes to tie it all together with the intent to stain it. I removed the factory cup holder and map pocket. Of course that left a series of holes in the wall, so that left me to decide where to mount this. High to cover the holes and I have to move the auto-leveling system (which I was prepared to do), or low, just below the auto-leveling system but would leave the screw holes exposed. I opted for the low position, but can easily change it later if I choose to.

I was able to build this in an afternoon. I ordered an oversized cupholder mount from Amazon, then set off to finish it. This was the most difficult part for me - matching the color of my existing cabinets. I ended up putting on two coats of Minwax Red Chestnut stain, then two coats of Minwax PolyShades American Chestnut. Basically one was too red, the other two brown, but the combination turned out just right in my opinion. Not perfect, but close enough!

I'm calling this Version 1.0 as I still want to add some type of compartment for sunglasses, cell phone, etc., maybe some USB charging ports, remount some of the dash switches within easy reach (like the XL models), etc.

I was never able to get my driver's side chair to swivel all the way around so I wasn't too concerned with that, however this placement doesn't appear to impact that movement.

All of the photos from this project can be seen in the album: Forest River Forums - The Wandering Irishman's Album: 2014 Georgetown 351DS - Driver Armrest

We leave in 2 days for a 2,000 mile Spring Break trip so this will get some real-world testing along the way.

Tom
Old 03-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

Tom,

YOU'RE HIRED! When can i expect mine?

Seriously, nice job on that! looks awesome. Where are you going on your trip?

Thanks
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #3

Ha! Thanks Garren! This was a fun little project to do. Now that I've drilled those first holes into the RV I expect many more customizations to follow! Pantry, bathroom cabinet, passenger lap desk, center console....

We are headed to Destin West RV Resort which is actually on Fort Walton Beach just across the waterway from Destin. We originally were going to Carrabelle Beach but ran into a friend going to Navarre Beach, found an open site, changed plans and away we go!! We just wanted to get out of Illinois and see a beach! We'll be back in the Destin area late July at Topsail Hill Preserve. We love the Emerald Coast area.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

Sounds awesome! Happy trails!

We are just doing weekend stuff right now, but I'm plotting on some longer ones this summer. Not quite as distant as yours, but Oregon/Washington area.....

Keep the photos coming, love the mods you are planning. We've made a few ourselves, but they've been inside cabinets or the sewer tube over the propane tank (which was the best $ we've spent so far, freed up a whole compartment)

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #5

Yes, love your sewer hose holder! I can't seem to find 5" vinyl fence posts in stock locally to get that done for this trip (custom order = 9 days). I'll look in some of the bigger cities we pass through if I have time, otherwise that waits til we get back and I can order it. Definitely a nice way to store that nasty thing.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #6

Gotta say - wow - niced piece of work
Old 03-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Tom, how did you attach the new cup holder? BTW, beautiful work...

Anthony
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #8

TClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1426811154.265957.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	71728
This is what my 2013 350 XL came with....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

Thank you for the compliments.

For attaching it, I used the drill press to drill two pilot holes all the way through, about 2" below the top, then countersunk them so I can hide the screws. I was amazed by the factory screws I removed from the map pocket - they were 2" long, I didn't expect that. So used similar length screws, accounting for the offset, and attached them to the wall in the same manner the factory stuff was done with #8 - 2.5" screws. I'm only using two so far because I didn't have a long enough drill bit to do the thicker part of the base, and since it literally sits on the floor I'm not worried too much for starters.

Diojoeboss - want to trade?? ha ha I do really like the cockpit area of the XL's over the non-XL's. I would like to relocate some of those switches, etc, but then I'd have to redo the dash panels....which I'm not against doing, it'll just never end.... ha ha

Tom
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
ME

That set up rocks Dijoeboss let's see him build that! Subscribed
Old 03-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #11

Sure seems logical to me that FR could put these in every one they build.... I know some people have different tastes, but I think this set-up would be favored.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #12

just bought 20115 335DS Georgetown. still have the cheap cup holder also to far forward and the pocket holder
efgsr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Team

You do good work! And you should forward the before & after pictures to Forest River.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
You do good work! And you should forward the before & after pictures to Forest River.
Thanks! Maybe after Version 2.0. ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgsr47 View Post
just bought 20115 335DS Georgetown. still have the cheap cup holder also to far forward and the pocket holder
Another forum member has an "early" 2015 also that did not have the new shelf or center console, etc. He was able to get the center console at no charge. Don't know if that's because he has a great dealer or what? That thread was at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-75147.html

Tom
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #15

Thumbs up Update after actual use

A quick update on actual use from a 2,000 mile trip - awesome is all I can say! Everything worked perfectly for me. I'd actually like to add a 2nd cup holder as I often have a bottle of water alongside a coffee, soda, etc. However a water bottle fit perfectly next to the maps in the map pocket so it wasn't too bad.

I placed my cell phone, extra glasses and a pack of gum on the ledge expecting they would slide off - they never moved, so I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Tom

Tags