Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

2014 351DS - Skylight leaking

We just returned from a long trip and were doing our routine post-trip cleaning, and it happened to be raining quite heavily. We noticed water above the shower in the skylight housing. Now I've seen this water occasionally before but it was always after using the shower so I chalked it up to condensation. It never dawned on me to check this area when it was raining to make sure.

So yesterday I checked...ugh. I took down the skylight casing from the inside to find a steady drip and obvious signs of this water leakage occurring for quite some time. The interior skylight housing keeps the water inside or pushes it on top of the ceiling panel if enough water is present.

So up on the roof I go with some silicone in hand to at least stop the leaks so until I can fix it properly. What I found is several cracks around the edges. I am guessing the screws may have been over-tightened when installed.

Thankfully I caught this when I did, but there's obvious damage done but not as bad as it of course could have been. I am hoping to have the skylight replaced as we're within our 1st year warranty. I plan to thoroughly dry this interior area, clean it, then coat with with some Kilz primer or something to prevent any further mold growth.

Wanted to share with those that have this skylight like my 351DS does, might want to take a look and avoid any issues!

Tom
Old 04-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Same issue on my 2012 36' Wildwood. Constant drips, especially after a heavy rain or snow melt.

Also am now noticing that dining room table (on push out) seems to lean considerably, but the push out itself seems level from the outside.

Had to replace the "squirrel cage" in the furnace just before winter.

Now the CD player won't work (although the radio works fine)

What is up with the quality of this expensive ($30-k plus unit).... surely poor! Those viewing this who are in the market to buy, need to do thorough research before deciding on a Forest River product. The '97 Skyline that I had before this purchase is still in great condition, being used with no issues by it's new owners who I am in constant touch with. Not at all happy with my Forst River product... although it sure is pretty!
car7236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. Will definitely give mine a close look this week when it quits raining. I haven't noticed any leaks but as you mentioned it might be collecting in the frame and not noticeable.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, leak, light