Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

2015 Georgetown 351DS - new features

Hello all - we have a 2014 351DS which we love, except a few things that I found lacking and have been designing and planning to create. Here are two of them:

1. center "console" cupholders
2. driver's side arm rest/cup holder that isn't cheap and so far away

A random web search had me looking at a video of a 2015 model that appears to be a very new 2015 model and guess what? It had a center console cup holder thingy and a driver's side armrest\cup holder that is actually useful! It appears the designers hear us!

While I still think I want to design and build my own arm rest\cup holder I'm really hoping that new center console will fit the 2014 and I can order one and add it!

Turns out the dealer I purchased our coach from has the newer 2015 model with these new features. Pretty neat! I've read the 2015's also have the full linoleum and a sliding tray option for the large rear storage compartment.

Anyone know what else is new for 2015?

Now if only they'd do something about the angle of the backup camera....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015GT351DS.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	69369   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015GT351DS_2.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	69370  
Old 02-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #2

I like the cup holder by the driver but I had that other style on the console in my old GT and never cared for it. At least half the times I got in or out if the drivers seat my clumsy self would end up knocking the drink out of that holder.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

We obviously have an EARLY 2015. No slide tray and no armrest. Bought some shelving from Home Depot for the rear works great. But any recommendation on upgrading the arm rest or even a clever cup holder once the driver seat is turned? Thanks as always.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #4

I also want to look at getting the Center Console, Drivers Side Arm Rest and Table. I reached out to Forest River Customer Service and was told that I need to go through an authorized dealer.

Hopefully one of them will get back to me with pricing
ETCTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 AM   #5

The angle of the backup camera was an easy change. It was pointing down far too much. I made it point back more so the toad can be seen while driving. It makes backing much easier, too.

RT
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #6

@RoadTripper - I realized after I posted that I meant to say the angle of the monitor not the camera itself. I wish that center dash with all the controls was angled towards the driver rather than just flat.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #7

2015 351DS - New Features

Here is what I have seen that appear to be new features. I'm not sure whether they are standard or options, but if you are shopping for a 2015 model you may be able to use this info as leverage to either get a better price on an earlier 2015 model or look for a later 2015 with these features if they're important to you.

I'll be at the Chicago RV and Camping show on 2/21 and will hopefully get to walk through a new model...and see what I want to try ordering to update my 2014! These are simply things I noticed in the photos, wasn't able to get additional information from the FR website and haven't seen one in person yet.

It's really neat to see how these RV's evolve, most likely due to customer suggestions and comments.

1. Living room TV is relocated from the wall to above the sink. TV opens like a cabinet door so you do not lose that storage.
    1. This was an issue for those who wanted to watch TV while the slide was closed (In our 2014 the TV was blocked, no factory option for sliding TV mount)
    2. Not sure if this is only true on models with the optional front bunk as you can get a TV in that spot where the bunk would be.
    3. The spot where the TV was is now just open with some decorative art there. Seems like a quick fix to relocate the TV so it can be used while slide is closed (nice!) but maybe a missed opportunity to add more cabinet space.
  2. Additional window on side (front) of driver's side slide above the couch.
    1. Our 2014 has a solid wall here. Wonder what another piece of reflective glass in the cockpit will be like for night driving.
  3. Couch appears to now be a dual recliner type setup or jackknife style.
    1. Our 2014 has a hide-a-bed, not sure if this is still an option or not.
    2. Love the full-sized hide-a-bed, sleeps two adults comfortably (we added a foam topper), however it is only usable with slide extended and goes up against the kitchen cabinet, so when you have to take the dogs out before the kids are up you have to step over the bed. Not a huge deal but worth mentioning.
  4. Added a house stereo above the main entrance door
    1. Will be interested to see this one...having a house stereo separate from the dash stereo would be a great feature, but hopefully they added dash speakers somewhere too.
    2. The 2014 model's dash stereo was the stereo and DVD player for the living room TV and surround sound system. It was difficult for the driver to hear if not turned up, which may annoy passengers. Or passengers watching TV\DVD through surround sound annoyed the driver, unless you like only listening to movies.
    3. Surround sound sub woofer still appears to be in passenger foot compartment. Behind the seat might be a better location.
  5. Full linoleum (added to early 2015's)
    1. My 2014 has carpet in the cockpit area and on the doghouse.
  6. Sliding tray option for large rear compartment (added to early 2015's)
  7. Center console\cupholder
    1. Woo hoo! My 2014 has nothing below the dash.
  8. Driver's side armrest\cupholder\storage
    1. This replaces the cheap, folding, hard to reach wall mounted cup holder in my 2014.
  9. Removable center table just behind doghouse in front
    1. Wasn't an option in the 2014
  10. Option for better roller style blackout window shades
    1. Our 2014 has the pull down day-time shades then privacy shades, however they let in a ton of light (no sleeping in here! ha ha). We really like the looks of these shades so simply added nice, color-matched blackout curtains throughout.
Again, these are just assumptions at this point based on new listings. Photos courtesy of RVTrader, Pontiac RV and MHSRV.

Has anyone seen these new features in person?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015GT351DS_3.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	69442   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015GT351DS_4.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	69443   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015GT351DS_6.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	69444  
Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
We obviously have an EARLY 2015. No slide tray and no armrest. Bought some shelving from Home Depot for the rear works great. But any recommendation on upgrading the arm rest or even a clever cup holder once the driver seat is turned? Thanks as always.
You're actually able to get the driver's seat to turn around? ha ha I've admittedly only tried once or twice. I can do the passenger seat nice and easy now at least.

This is the only time I'd think that new little table would be nice to have, otherwise I'd think it'd be in the way getting in and out of the front seats. It'd probably store next to the passenger seat easily enough.

Maybe you could get a folding TV tray that you could use there when parked? You could also add something like that table if you don't mind drilling a large hole in the floor. There are mounts that go above the floor also, but would have to ensure it wouldn't be in the way of the slide.

Recessed Floor Base, 6" - Russell ma-939 - Furnishing Accessories - Camping World
Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCTA View Post
I also want to look at getting the Center Console, Drivers Side Arm Rest and Table. I reached out to Forest River Customer Service and was told that I need to go through an authorized dealer.

Hopefully one of them will get back to me with pricing

I also emailed the Georgetown parts department (just yesterday) and will hopefully hear whether these parts can be added to the 2014's (or early 2015's) and some part numbers.

Please post any information you hear back. I am definitely interested!!

Tom
Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

My 2013 Georgetown XL bunkhouse model has both of those features and they look exactly the same. Even down to the color. You might look at that model and see if they would fit in your 2014 motor home.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #11

I have seen a new 2015 329DS that has these new features in person. Some of the other new things are a recliner sofa with a pull out bed, stands on both sides of the bed in the bedroom, the new entertainment center in the panel over the door. It has the TV with storage behind, and much larger storage below (where the entertainment center used to go with smoked glass front) as well as the table between the front seats.

Here is a similar one online that I found while searching: http://m.rvtrader.com/dealers/Motor-...s.-F-113159050
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #12

Replies

I received replies from both Kevin in GT Service and Craig (via Deann) in sales with two different answers. I actually chuckled a little bit as this was the experience of sales vs service at the dealership I purchased our RV. Typically sales will always tell you it can be done, Service will tell you shouldn't be done but figures out how to make it work to keep you happy. (I work in the software business and live this first hand!)

Kevin's response:
Quote:
Thank you for your email into Forest River. In 2015 Forest River re designed the dash, so the center console/ drink holder would not fit in the 2014 models. I apologize that we could not assist you with this. If you need anything further, please feel free to contact us.
Craig's response (I had mentioned the 2015 Chicago RV and Camping show in Rosemont):
Quote:
The center console /cup holder should retro fit with no problems---same for passenger table
There should be two 351’s at the show---Pontiac RV and Barrington
There will also be a new 364, which is an enhanced version of the 351, with two full bathrooms and a huge king bedroom
Hope to see you there
I plan to check out the new 2015 - 351's at the RV show but will also inquire if the 2014 GT 350XL dash components are compatible with the 2014 GT 351DS. Thanks for that suggestion Bubbamace.

It's funny how little things like cupholders get us excited. ha ha Personally I probably couldn't reach it while driving anyway for it to be usable, but that space is begging for something to be there rather than the pile of random charging cables, spare keys and sunglasses that get dumped there.

Tom
Old 02-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #13

That's funny! I think what is interesting is he said "for 2015 we redesigned the dash"
Well, I have a 2015 that doesn't have the cupholder piece on the bottom (as well as other things.....) so it's obviously not ALL 2015's (ours was a really early one, arrived last May)
I'm going to email my GT sales guy and see what he says! (not the dealer the NW rep who we see at the shows.)

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #14

ChrisAndGarren - I've got the same thing with my 2015 351. We really like our coach but would really like to add the arm rest. Let me know what the outcome of your discussion with the GT sales guy.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #15

bigben -
So heard back from the rep - he's not with FR any longer But he did say we should have no issue ordering the parts from the factory or through our dealer.
I'll let you know what I hear when I get in touch with them, not sure if I'm going to do it now or bother them at the RV show...I'm thinking now to at least see what they can get. They have a 364TS on their lot that has the new upgrades, so I'm sure it would be as simple as walking around with the GM to get them priced etc.
Will keep you posted!
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 02-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #16

Thanks, I'm definitely interested in what you find out on pricing and availability. I plan to inquire next weekend (Feb 21st) at the Chicago show as I didn't hear back again from the area rep. I'm mostly interested in the center console but hope to get some ideas for dash speakers at least too.

On a side note, I did some measuring yesterday of the area where the current cup holder and map pocket (it barely qualifies as that. ha ha) are in our 2014 351DS and designed out what I plan to build for that space. I want to mount mine higher on the wall than the new 2015's which means I also intend to relocate the leveling system panel. I have a couple house projects to finish up before I get to start that one, but will post pics along the way. I also plan to build a pantry between the fridge and rear slide in all 4.5" width of space there is.

Thanks for sharing what you find.

Tom
Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #17

FYI. I ordered the console/cupholder for ours. Came without the black cupholders, for$185.00. Dealer is now trying to order the cupholders. The console fits nice, but I had to use double stick tape to hold in place.
2014 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide
Will Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Irishman View Post
Thanks, I'm definitely interested in what you find out on pricing and availability. I plan to inquire next weekend (Feb 21st) at the Chicago show as I didn't hear back again from the area rep. I'm mostly interested in the center console but hope to get some ideas for dash speakers at least too.

On a side note, I did some measuring yesterday of the area where the current cup holder and map pocket (it barely qualifies as that. ha ha) are in our 2014 351DS and designed out what I plan to build for that space. I want to mount mine higher on the wall than the new 2015's which means I also intend to relocate the leveling system panel. I have a couple house projects to finish up before I get to start that one, but will post pics along the way. I also plan to build a pantry between the fridge and rear slide in all 4.5" width of space there is.

Thanks for sharing what you find.

Tom
No problem - would love to see what you end up building in that space by the fridge!

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Parish View Post
FYI. I ordered the console/cupholder for ours. Came without the black cupholders, for$185.00. Dealer is now trying to order the cupholders. The console fits nice, but I had to use double stick tape to hold in place.
$185 for the console/cupholder? Not what I expected, yikes. But I'll bet it looks nice! The dash was always missing a little something.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #20
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I think there may be confusion between the XL and the non XL. The 351 is not an XL and does not have the features some of you are mentioning. The XL 350 has all the features you are mentioning. Two different trim lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
georgetown