Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #1

2016 Forestriver Rear Track bar question

i have seen a lot of threads about rear track bars and i am thinking of adding one to our rig. my question i have is i see almost all are attached to the rear Differential. seems fine to me but i would rather not break into the seals casing. i was thinking of making a bracket that goes behind the sway bar mount instead. any suggestions either way would be great.

its on a 2015 F53 frame and been under it a few times and i don't see a clearance issue with the sway mount but hope i am not missing anything.
coolnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #2

no one have any input?
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #3

Impatient are we? New to this forum? Good luck. You'll be eaten alive with an attitude.

It is late and I couldn't get a photo I was going to post. The trac bar is something I discovered in my 2nd year. I wish I had it installed the first day. It eliminated over 50 % of the lean- and that is after sumo springs, 2nd rear roll bar, and steering stabilizer. The traction bar does not attach to the differential bolts. That is totally bad information. One end attaches to the RV's structural frame and the other end to the rear axle. It totally reduces the roll a roll bar doesn't. Well spent $$$.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

How it attached is you remove some differential case bolts and install the brackets with the provided longer ones. You do not break any seal. It also attaches to another point in the axle. And then to the frame. I don’t have one yet, but it is the last and only add on they make for the F53 chassis. The previous owner installed all of the other add ons.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I don’t have one yet, but it is the last and only add on they make for the F53 chassis. The previous owner installed all of the other add ons.
Haha, that's pretty funny. There's way too many V10 F53's out there for the vendors to give up on sucking money from us.

Here's the latest I know of: https://supersteerparts.com/products...r-2010-up.html

I see they've added a new note: Note: V10 Chassis Only. May not fit with all front SumoSpring applications.

Ray
Old 02-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
How it attached is you remove some differential case bolts and install the brackets with the provided longer ones. You do not break any seal. It also attaches to another point in the axle. And then to the frame.
The rear trac bar provides a solid lateral connection between the axle and the frame. The differential bracket is the axle connection and there's usually a "clamp" arrangement to attach the trac bar to the frame. It does allow up-down movement but not left-right movement. My SuperSteer rear trac bar has just two attach points, the bracket that goes on the differential and the clamp to the frame.

Ford has provided a front trac bar as standard but not a rear one. Probably because they control what is up front on the F53 stripped chassis but not what goes on the back.

Ray
Old 02-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #7

Not trying to side track the post but:
What I have come to understand about track bars is they mainly control horizontal movement (tail wagging the dog) and very little affecting sway movement. I never had an issue with horizontal movement, only sway movement. Stiffer sway bars solved my problem. Is this what you are trying to solve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnuke View Post
i have seen a lot of threads about rear track bars and i am thinking of adding one to our rig. my question i have is i see almost all are attached to the rear Differential. seems fine to me but i would rather not break into the seals casing. i was thinking of making a bracket that goes behind the sway bar mount instead. any suggestions either way would be great.

its on a 2015 F53 frame and been under it a few times and i don't see a clearance issue with the sway mount but hope i am not missing anything.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #8

i understand the idea and seen a few online but they all attach to the differential. i was thinking of attaching to where the sway bar mounts to instead of the dif. seems easier to make one on those instead of from the dif.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #9

I would think the sway bar brackets are too weak to attach the mounting plate for your tract bar. If I am understanding you correctly. The torque exerted on the brackets would probably resist the brackets off.
Quote:
i understand the idea and seen a few online but they all attach to the differential. i was thinking of attaching to where the sway bar mounts to instead of the dif. seems easier to make one on those instead of from the dif.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I would think the sway bar brackets are too weak to attach the mounting plate for your tract bar. If I am understanding you correctly. The torque exerted on the brackets would probably resist the brackets off.
its the same bracket as the shocks are mounted to so i would assume its strong enough,
Old 02-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #11

Just a thought, the shock brackets have bushings and hydraulic fluid to soften the plows of bumps. Also a plate that extends up 15 inches or so from the button of the bracket would then put a large amount of bending force. I would think this is why the mounting plate for the Trac bar is mounted to the differential.
Quote:
its the same bracket as the shocks are mounted to so i would assume its strong enough,
Old 02-24-2021, 05:40 PM   #12

I'm out traveling. When I get back in a few days, I'll post a picture. I tried to show a close view, but being on dirt until I return, I'm not crawling underneath until I get home to a concrete floor. The installation is clean and simple.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I'm out traveling. When I get back in a few days, I'll post a picture. I tried to show a close view, but being on dirt until I return, I'm not crawling underneath until I get home to a concrete floor. The installation is clean and simple.
is your on the diff or sway mount?
Old 02-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #14

Pictures will answer ALL questions. There is way too much BS (bad information) on these forums. Can't agree with truth (pictures). The traction bar I have installed doesn't touch differential bolts, shocks, ... it is a stand alone device.

It is attached under the mounts for the forward rear sway bar. My RV has an added rear sway bar in the rear - 3 total - 2 in the rear and 1 up front.

A filler spacer is put under the passenger's side of the sway bar mount and a spacer/attach point for the driver's side of the sway bar and traction bar. The other end of the traction bar is attached to the F53 chassis on the passenger side.

All TB parts are BLUE in color. Overview and close up of each end provided.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Traction Bar.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	248398   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB Chasis paxside.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	248400   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB Axle driver side.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	248405  
Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #15

Wow,I stand educated now. Thanks for the pictures 270S. What brand name is your TB?
Old 02-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Wow,I stand educated now. Thanks for the pictures 270S. What brand name is your TB?
Here you go. I found all of my information. It is made by Supersteer. If you get one, get the right size for your RV. https://supersteerparts.com/search-results-page?q=f53

Of course, like me and UNLIKE ANYTHING in the RV community, I went to the absolute best in the business for all of my suspension work. https://josamusa.com/ They are worth a cross country trip!!!!!! Like many Tiffin owners do for ridiculousness one-offs. There is no one better. The owner (since deceased) invented the computerized alignment machine that does large Semi Truck (& RV) suspension work (including alignments). My RV goes 100% straight since my first time there. They were the ones that told me about the Traction Bar when I was there for other suspension issues.

Here are the original pictures (better clarity) I took while there during installation. Because they are a training facility (too) for the entire US, customers are allowed in the pits to observe the work being performed. No hiding behind "Against Insurance regulations" to keep customers away from watching mistakes.

I also included my installation instructions SS400 for a 16-18K F53.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_150107.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	248438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_150510.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	248439   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_150541.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	248440  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SS400-Instructions.pdf (725.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:

If you do a search for Blue Ox Trac Bar you'll find a ton of install videos .
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Here you go. I found all of my information. It is made by Supersteer. If you get one, get the right size for your RV. https://supersteerparts.com/search-results-page?q=f53

Of course, like me and UNLIKE ANYTHING in the RV community, I went to the absolute best in the business for all of my suspension work. https://josamusa.com/ They are worth a cross country trip!!!!!! Like many Tiffin owners do for ridiculousness one-offs. There is no one better. The owner (since deceased) invented the computerized alignment machine that does large Semi Truck (& RV) suspension work (including alignments). My RV goes 100% straight since my first time there. They were the ones that told me about the Traction Bar when I was there for other suspension issues.

Here are the original pictures (better clarity) I took while there during installation. Because they are a training facility (too) for the entire US, customers are allowed in the pits to observe the work being performed. No hiding behind "Against Insurance regulations" to keep customers away from watching mistakes.

I also included my installation instructions SS400 for a 16-18K F53.

thats what i was looking to create as well. pretty close to what i came up with.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
thats what i was looking to create as well. pretty close to what i came up with.
Coolnuke, what GVWR chassis do you have? There's nothing listed on your profile.

That SuperSteer SS-400 is only available for the 16,000 - 18,000 GVWR F53 chassis. The SS-401 is for 20,000 -22,000 GVWR, which is what I have, and I have the SS-401. The SS-525 is for the 24,000 - 26,000 GVWR chassis.

The SS-400 goes behind the sway bar bracket while the SS-401 and SS-525 use the differential mount. There must be a reason for the mounting difference because they're all the same price, $525.

Ray
Old 02-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Coolnuke, what GVWR chassis do you have? There's nothing listed on your profile.

That SuperSteer SS-400 is only available for the 16,000 - 18,000 GVWR F53 chassis. The SS-401 is for 20,000 -22,000 GVWR, which is what I have, and I have the SS-401. The SS-525 is for the 24,000 - 26,000 GVWR chassis.

The SS-400 goes behind the sway bar bracket while the SS-401 and SS-525 use the differential mount. There must be a reason for the mounting difference because they're all the same price, $525.

Ray
have a 22K but i also tied the axel mount into the top of the dif as well as the sway mount. figured this way so of the side to side motiion will be eliminated. just seemed way simplier to go this way.