Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
drw

2016 Georgetown XL front window replacement

I have a 2016 Georgetown XL that I have to replace the front window. Got a crack on the bottom part of the window and it is starting to spread. About 8 inches now. The insurance is going to cover it. Especially have the high monthly payments. Thanks to that. Hope it does not raise the rates .
However, anyone out there done this before? What issues to look for?
A local glass company doing the work, they work on big rigs and other RVs they say. Binswanger Glass company, Charlotte NC.

Still waiting on the part to arrive to take it in. But wanted to see what is out there to know and check
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #2

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. Small crack from a rock thrown up from a truck grew into a crack that migrated across the windshield. Had it replaced by insurance with no deductible. I used a local glass shop that the insurance company worked with. The replacement windshield looked good. I keep my Georgetown in covered storage, so it wasn't until I was driving in a significant rain shower about 14 months later that I noticed three very tiny leaks at the top of the windshield. Even though I was outside the 12 month warranty, the glass shop sent a tech out to add some more sealant to the top of the windshield with a caulk gun.

Long story short, that did not stop the leaks if driving in rain. I ended up digging out the sealant they had added and I could tell that when they replaced the windshield the reused the original gasket and it was torn in several places. The black sealant they covered it with looked good but did not work adequately. After I cleaned it up good and used my own sealant, it so far (knock on wood) seems to be working.

If I were you I would ask the shop to use a new gasket, even if I had to pay for it myself. Also, when you get it back, hit it with a lot of water to check for leaks. Good Luck.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #3

Just noticed your issue is front window not windshield. I would still check for leaks when you get it back.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw View Post
I have a 2016 Georgetown XL that I have to replace the front window. Got a crack on the bottom part of the window and it is starting to spread. About 8 inches now. The insurance is going to cover it. Especially have the high monthly payments. Thanks to that. Hope it does not raise the rates .
However, anyone out there done this before? What issues to look for?
A local glass company doing the work, they work on big rigs and other RVs they say. Binswanger Glass company, Charlotte NC.

Still waiting on the part to arrive to take it in. But wanted to see what is out there to know and check
Front window……or……front windshield????

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #5

Just a suggestion. If you get a rock chip immediately head to an automotive glass shop that fills the chip with some sort of sealant. I have had several rock chips repaired this way. One did start to crack and the glass shop drilled a tiny hole at the end of the crack to stop it spreading. One rock chip was so big the shop would not guarantee the repair but it is still hanging in there. A rough count would be at least ten repairs and no windshield replacement in almost 24,000 miles.

Tags
georgetown, replacement, tow, window