Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2018, 06:55 AM   #1

2017 Georgetown 377ts XL

About to sign off on a new Georgetown 377ts XL. We love it regardless of issues as all rigs have them. I want your input. Love it? Hate it? Specific issues? Lay it on me. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am hoping to gather info pre-pdi.
CrusadingCorgis2016RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #2

We have the 378 sister 2014. Almost bought the 377. Love the floorplan. Deciding vote for us was the sleeping on the L-Couch was not ok for two people. But would have been ok with the over cab bunk which was not available at the end of 2013. Floorplan was key for us. Full-time living is great! Enjoy and press ahead!
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Thank you for your input.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Buying a new rig is not always a problem. Back in 2013 we purchased a 2014 360 XL. We have only had a few minor hiccups. We are still blissfully happy with our decision. If you are happy that’s all that matters.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

Good to here! Thank you
Old 02-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

We bought a 2015 351DS in May of '14. We've been happy with ours, but I will say...I had an 11 page PDI that I did on that thing. We stayed on their lot for 4 days while I made the dealership fix every little thing wrong with it before we left. I made then change out rusted screws on basement doors, fix the trim on the slide because the pantry door wouldn't open all the way. We had a headlight that was already out I made him change out cabinet doors that just really were way too rough. I found HVAC lines for the furnace that had holes in them so we weren't getting heat to all the vents, I made them rerun the lines. As I told them my expectation when you buy a brand new unit is it at the very minimum these things are correct. I know that it's like an earthquake on Wheels as you drive them so there's constant maintenance but they had said they had done this 250 point inspection and we found that to be inadequate. So just make sure before you drive it off there lot that everything is done to your satisfaction because For the First six months of owning it you will have it in and out for a little things you find wrong with it. In fact our brand new Residential Refrigerator didn't even work. We ended up having to fight for 4 months to get a new refrigerator they kept sending out technicians to diagnose it and nobody could figure out what was wrong with it. If you can record your walk through with your dealership I would highly recommend that. But that's with any manufacturer any dealership you're going to run into that with any RV. We've had good luck with Forest River fixing things that really needed to be fixed without a lot of fighting. And we finally found a good dealership that really tries to take care of the main issues. Now that I'm out of warranty I use a mobile mechanic that comes to my house and now I don't have to leave it for months and months at a dealership to be repaired. He shows up at my house and fixes it in the same day and he leaves. Best of luck enjoy your new RV.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #7

I have printed the 11 page pdi Inspection sheet. We are staying on the lot for 18 days. Planned some round trip day trips to shake the bolts lose. Thank you for your input and time
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusadingCorgis2016RST View Post
I have printed the 11 page pdi Inspection sheet. We are staying on the lot for 18 days. Planned some round trip day trips to shake the bolts lose. Thank you for your input and time
I took a roll of blue tape and a black Sharpie and I would blue tape all the things that were wrong, and then, I would put a matching blue tape on my paperwork, I brought a clipboard, and then I would sign off on it as they told me they finish different things. I did have them try a couple times, just removing my tape until they figure it out I was tracking what they were doing. Lol. Then they realized that I was very serious about getting these issues corrected before I left there. We live in Arizona but bought our unit in Ft. Worth Texas. So we had a long drive to go and I wanted to make sure everything was going to be fixed cuz I figured I would never get back to that dealership. We've made some changes to the RV over the years new mattress Custom Cabinets things like that. Overall we love of the rig, it seems to be made pretty well, as any of them are.
I think the biggest issue I have, is to keep an eye on my cables on the slide. I do have to adjust those about twice a year. We had a cable snap and that's how I learned how to fix them. We drive ours about 4 months out of the year and move almost weakly when we are using it.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusadingCorgis2016RST View Post
About to sign off on a new Georgetown 377ts XL. We love it regardless of issues as all rigs have them. I want your input. Love it? Hate it? Specific issues? Lay it on me. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am hoping to gather info pre-pdi.

We were first time buyers so I guess we were to blame for not checking things out. Therefore experience with all the items was pretty painful after leaving the dealership. (2025/2016 368 XL). Biggest disappointment was being sold a 2016 model but finding out when registering the chassis was a 2015 and they went by that. Figured I lost $10K at least right off the start. Check the title first.

Next was traveling from Chicago to Fort Worth to get a good price on the model and color we liked. Trying to get your warranty work done at s place you didn’t buy it is nearly impossible because you didn’t buy from them. If I buy a new RV it will be from some local. Even while traveling near Fort Worth on a trip and having problems, they wouldn’t see me for 3-4 weeks. I recall them telling me buying there would give me preferred service status. Guess not.

Lots of other stuff but most were coveted well by others on this above. Bottom line, don’t sign or leave till you check everything out!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

I have a 2017 Georgetown 31L5. The Georgetown line is great.

My coach is at the dealer the second time for warranty issues. I won't list them all as it is a LONG list. Some major, most minor.

Both my dealer and Forest River have been great to work with. There has been NO push back on any warranty work.

When scheduling warranty work, I write up EVERYTHING that I expect to be taken care of. After making the appointment I send my list to my dealer by e-mail. We then go over the list by phone. This helps the dealer schedule the work before the coach arrives on his lot.

I'll share two items from the list and the resolution.

1. Microwave (MW):

The MW has a recirculating fan vs. an exhaust fan. In the fan ducting is a charcoal filter that should be changed periodically (see MW manual). There are screws on the top of the MW that when removed allow removal of an access panel to access and replace the filter. Unfortunately, the screws and panel are inaccessible due to the coach design. Forest River reviewed this issue with me and came up with a fix. They had the dealer remove the cabinet-bottom, just above the MW, slightly trim the bottom for easier removal, and drill a "finger-hole" in the panel to make grasping the panel possible. With the panel removed, I can lower the front of the MW (the back is kind of hinged) by removing two retaining bolts. When the MW is lowered, I can access the MW filter access panel, remove it, replace the filter, and re-install the MW.

2. Fresh Water Overflow vent siphons fresh water tank:

The Fresh Water tank overflow vent siphoning water from the tank when filling has been discussed at length on the Forum. I have had it happen twice.

I fill the tank to the point of overflow. I shut off the fresh water input hose. Water then continues to run out of the overflow because it is being siphoned.

The dealer's 'fix' for this was to watch the fill gauge and stop filling just before the tank is full. Since I boon-dock and need the tank full, this was not a satisfying answer. I contacted FR.

FR said this should not happen, as there are two "loops" in the overflow line to prevent siphoning.

On the list of the latest warranty items is an item to have the dealer check for "loops" in the overflow line. The dealer contacted FR for authorization to verify the "loops." Authorization was necessary as "a couple of things have to be removed to see the loops," according to the dealer.

FR approved, the dealer looked, and there was, "kind of one loop."

The dealer is adding more overflow line to, "create two significant loops."

The moral of this story is the Georgetown is a great coach. My dealer and FR are great people to work with. Everything either works as it should or they make it work as it should.

I am very happy with my Georgetown, my dealer, and Forest River.

Enjoy your new coach, work in writing with your dealer, and don't hesitate to contact the great folks at Forest River. They will work with you.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoRandy View Post
We were first time buyers so I guess we were to blame for not checking things out. Therefore experience with all the items was pretty painful after leaving the dealership. (2025/2016 368 XL). Biggest disappointment was being sold a 2016 model but finding out when registering the chassis was a 2015 and they went by that. Figured I lost $10K at least right off the start. Check the title first.

Next was traveling from Chicago to Fort Worth to get a good price on the model and color we liked. Trying to get your warranty work done at s place you didn’t buy it is nearly impossible because you didn’t buy from them. If I buy a new RV it will be from some local. Even while traveling near Fort Worth on a trip and having problems, they wouldn’t see me for 3-4 weeks. I recall them telling me buying there would give me preferred service status. Guess not.

Lots of other stuff but most were coveted well by others on this above. Bottom line, don’t sign or leave till you check everything out!
They should have went by the model year and not the chassis year. You can still fix it. Ford goes by the year the model was build and not the year the chassis was built, meaning if the chassis was built on a 2017 year but the body was built on a 2018 body you will have a 2018 RV and your warranty will last for 3 years bumper to bumper and 5 years for drive train from 2018.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

We bought a new 2014 377XL. A few very minor issues. Full timing since September 2014. Pleased so far. Good luck.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #13

Thank you. This be my 3rd FR. glad to hear they stand by there motorhomes.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #14

Bought a 2015 GT 364, which is essentially the same vehicle in regards to my three big concerns. 1. Lack of power on hills, 2. Poor steering which results in wandering all over the lane with almost constant steering input which makes you tired at the end of the day, (Spent almost $5K on suspension upgrades with only moderate improvement). 3. Perhaps one of the biggest irritants is the horrific engine noise - always having to raise our voices to carry on a conversation. But, when the engine went into passing gear, it shot up to a screaming 5,000 rpm. Even yelling at each other was difficult. Even though we changed to a DP, my DW and I can both say that the floorpan can't be beat.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #15

Thank you. This had been a concern. Not a deal breaker for us.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #16

We love our 2014 Georgetown 377XL. The one thing I would change is the flooring. One of our tiles has a crack in it and it shows every bit of dirt. But we love the floor plan. We are not fulltimers but travel and also spend 3 months in Florida.
mc4042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #17

We have the 2017 377TS as well. We have enjoyed it very much. A few minor issues all taken care of. Nothing big or real concerning.
We owned 2 5th wheels prior to this purchase. We have had it right at a year and have over 90 nights of camping in it. From summer to winter.
We are going to trade it in on another 5th wheel though. We are just use to the extra room inside of a fifth wheel.
Congrats and enjoy your purchase, we have enjoyed ours.
adrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #18

The tile floor has been a concern of ours as well. Every used one I have been in has a lose one. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #19

Lin and I have 2017 Georgetown 329 that has 8100 miles on it. We bought it in Texas, drove it to California, cleared out of the apartment in Huntington Beach and have been full-time since. The layout of the 329 is perfect for a couple and/or someone who likes to cook. The kitchen is the most spacious we have seen with lots of room for pots and pans and a huge pantry. We have only had a couple of issues:
1. LG residential fridge was DOA. We stayed a week at MHSRV until the mother board could be replaced. We like the size of the fridge but the ice maker has never worked properly and the water dispenser will splash in your eye when you least expect it (at midnight!).
2. The fresh water tank siphon problem has occurred twice, completely draining the FW tank and leaving us in a virtual swamp. I use the "monitor the LED's" technique to make sure it doesn't overfill.
3. I wasn't aware the MW had an exhaust filter until I read the above note from McCormickJim. Now to get at it...
4. Satellite antenna installation will be a challenge, unless FR has improved the wiring for a satellite receiver. I finally gave up and ran the coax through the windows (front and back TV's). Tip- Amazon sells flat coax suitable for running through almost-closed windows.
The Georgetown is a lot of RV for the money and it is short enough to be less of a challenge to drive, even with the toad. We are very happy with "George", our first RV but not our last. We took the full-timer plunge and have loved the lifestyle since.
flynfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I have a 2017 Georgetown 31L5. The Georgetown line is great.

2. Fresh Water Overflow vent siphons fresh water tank:

The Fresh Water tank overflow vent siphoning water from the tank when filling has been discussed at length on the Forum. I have had it happen twice.

I fill the tank to the point of overflow. I shut off the fresh water input hose. Water then continues to run out of the overflow because it is being siphoned.

FR said this should not happen, as there are two "loops" in the overflow line to prevent siphoning.
I implemented a different fix for the same overflow problem in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS. I don't have any "loops" to prevent siphoning so I removed the overflow tube and drilled a 1/8" hole in the top of it at the high point where it's attached to the roof of the compartment. The attachment clamp prevents debris from falling into the hole and the hole creates an air break preventing any siphoning. Water can exit the hole only if the overflow pipe completely fills with water, something that should never happen because the other end of the pipe is always open and the overflow pipe is 2x the size of the tank's fill pipe.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown