Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

2020 Georgetown GT33B3 - Sildeout failed on a first trip

I don't know where to start as I am extremely frustrated with my brand new 2020 Georgetown 33B3 that I purchased a month ago and only used it for 1 night of camping. Everything seems to fall apart!!.

Took the MH for camping for the first time last week. I have owned 4 travel trailers in the past 20 years and this is my first MH so I kinda knew the basics.

When I got to the camping site, the bedroom slideout would not extend, I was getting 1 green blink and 4 red blinks indicating either the wire or motor is bad. So I went thought the files of manual that came with the MH but there was no manual for the slideout.

After long hours of agonizing attempts, I finally gave up and came home the next day.

I found out so many issues with my MH on my first camping trip and I tried to make an appointment at the Forest River dealer but it's almost 50 days out. (Nov. 16th)

Here is the list of problems that I found on my first trip:

1. TV and bracket came off on the bottom bunk (4 of 1.5" thin screws were holding the bracket and there was no frame to secure the 4 screws) - It was mounted right on to 1/16" thin wall panel without any screw anchors - The wall was hollow) - TV fell right off on my first trip

2. As I mentioned earlier, the bedroom slide didn't move at all. No sound no nothing - I was connected to shore power (50amps), try to shut down the main circuit and repowered but nothing worked

3. Living area slide-out is making heavy banging noise whenever I stop and go. It sounds like something is sliding under the slide. I stopped the MH and looked under the sofa and dinette but nothing. It sounds like the whole slide is shifting back and forth. I called the dealer(where I purchased) and ask them for the direction to open the slide manually but they told me to make a reservation for service while he will talk to the service. (never had a luck hearing back from them since I purchase MH) After I made my payment it was very hard to get hold of them.

4. After taking the MH back home, I noticed that the front driver side bumper has been repainted. (Right below windshield - about 10" x 10") It's very hard to tell but I can feel the surface being rough compare to any other part of the bumper.

The surface is not smooth at all I feel fine bumps and also found Forest River touch up Paint invoice in the closet.

5. Only one side of the wiper releases the water. Driver side does not.

6. The molding around bunkbed edge is already chipped and had to put duck tape to prevent further chipping. Side molding is loose and had to staple them back to the frame.

7. One of the storage compartment rubber came off when I opened the storage. Adhesive rubber is keep sticking to the door instead of the actual frame.

8. One of the side window screen will not close all the way. The edge is bent so much that it wont close. This was on the we owe you list but I still have not heard anything from them.

9. I never owned MH before so I am not sure how loud MH is but whenever I drive I have hard time hearing my wife speak. MH makes so much noise which I can live with but the banging noise coming under the slideout is bothering the hack out of me. Last thing I want to face is what if silde wont close again and I don't even know how to manually close them.

Can anyone please tell me how I can manually close my slideout?

10. I bought my MH 1 month ago and I still can't get the state inspection because I still don't have the registration for it. I purchased MH in Georgia and drove it to PA. This dealer didn't even process my paperwork until I call them to ask why I am not getting the registration. That's when they told me that they need a copy of back of my driver's license.

11. Is propane sensor goes off easily? I was running refrigerator with propane and 1 hour into the drive alarm goes off. I stopped the vehicle and closed the propane valve. I tired again on the way back home but alarm didn't go off.

3 weeks went by just like that and I was told by service center that they can't do the state inspection unless I have the state issued registration.

I had a motorhome for a month now and used it only one night of camping and things started to fall apart. I am so frustrated and had a hard time to sleep for past couple of days.

Is it normal that the my sildeout(living area - right behind the driver side) has wider gap on the bottom then the top when it's closed? My bottom edge is almost 1.75" away from the sidewall where top is only 1" away.

I also noticed that the side rail (metal bar with teeth) is slightly curved on one side but the other side is pararrel to the slide wall. The curved side metal bar is actually touching the side slide.

Does anyone has similar experiences on new MH?
GTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #2

1st Welcome.
You will find many hear that have been in your shoes.
You may find many with helpful tips about your new GT.
Now the rest of the truth.

Sounds like you have a lot more issues than most but the only aswer is get it back to your dealer you bought it from and wait a few months becaus ethey probably will work slow.

Frustrating yes. Many of us had similiar problems but many my ask did you get a full PDI inspection before you drove it off the lot.
I mean having it plugge dinto some power and checking all systems
Did they show how the new stuff work?
Was the refrigerator on propane at that time?
The Gas/propane detector can go off for a propane leak but also can go off if it is close to the hous ebatteries that may be low and causing gassing to set it off.

You need to make you list up of everything you know is bad, wrong or not working. Don't leave anything off as the clock is ticking down to 1 year warranty. Afte rthat hopefully all will be in good operational shape.

I wish you the best but at this time I know you are frustrated.
Take a deep breath and hope you have a good dealer who will take care of everything.

Kepp us posted on how the dealer takes care of you.

Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

Thank you for your advise and the message.
Yes everything worked during PDI and I am not sure if I really need to take the MH to the dealer that I purchase it from. They are 900 miles away from me.
I booked with my local dealer in Nov 16th.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTown View Post
Thank you for your advise and the message.
Yes everything worked during PDI and I am not sure if I really need to take the MH to the dealer that I purchase it from. They are 900 miles away from me.
I booked with my local dealer in Nov 16th.
Rv dealers must be making money hand over fist all around the country.
The few we have in Phoenix are also booked up for maintenenace for months.
I guess one thing for sure if you are lucky enought to have a dealer close by.
Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

My sympathies

The deficiencies listed here are significant and upsetting to say the least. We’ve been there over the years......but not to the level outlined.

I have to ask the OP.......how long and thorough was your PDI with the purchase dealer? Even to notice the paint repair outside? Registration paperwork?

Quality control is now quite often in the hands of the purchaser.......not fair, but quite often lots of people will agree with the statement.

BTW......being that your closest dealer you have scheduled repairs with, is not where you bought it, be prepared for less than a stellar relationship, unless you win them over. It may take awhile.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
NXR

Folks, let's try to not blame the messenger. Almost everything they noted would not have shown up on a static, non-moving pre-delivery inspection. We did a three-day PDI and still had significant issues after just a few trips: water leak under the shower when a fitting cracked, washer/dryer cabinet literally having the bottom drop out, inadequate securing of the washer/dryer causing excessive vibration, a refrigerator that would not cool even on 9 but only when in direct sunlight, etc.

I'm fairly certain they at least ran the slides a few times as did the dealer.

I also now have a basement compartment seal that is sticking to the door instead of to the frame.

Ray
Old 09-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Is it normal that the my sildeout(living area - right behind the driver side) has wider gap on the bottom then the top when it's closed? My bottom edge is almost 1.75" away from the sidewall where top is only 1" away.

I also noticed that the side rail (metal bar with teeth) is slightly curved on one side but the other side is parallel to the slide wall. The curved side metal bar is actually touching the side slide.
Is it truly metal or just a metal color? Is it floating away from the side of the slide or screwed directly to the side of the slide?

My guess is "metal color" and "yes, floating instead of solidly screwed down".

If so, try to reset the motor stops. This assumes the slide is in right now:

With the slide fully in press and hold the Retract button until you hear clicks or the whining stops, or it is completely silent. You will hold the button probably five seconds after the slide stops moving. Do that twice. Yes, you are trying to run the slide in further.

Then run the slide out but hold the button in until you hear the same thing. Yes, you will be holding the button after the slide stops moving. No, the slide will not fall out and nothing will be damaged. Forest River uses slide controllers that automatically adjust themselves. Then press and hold the Extend button again until all noise stops. And once more.

Then run the slide in and repeat the first steps.

Now look the slide over, run it out, and look it over again.

I always wait about 60 seconds after running a slide to allow the motor to cool down. I do not know if that is necessary but I figure, why not?

It can be normal for one rack (the thing with the gear teeth) to be bowed and one touching but usually resetting the motor stops fixes it. I'd still complain about it because there could be another issue.

The slides are considered fully in when the seals are about 50% squashed.

Ray
Old 09-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #8

You really need to be nice to the rv dealer since they are so close. Many don’t even work on a motor home if they did not sell it to you. They are so swamped across the country. The other thing is if they say they are waiting on Forest Tiver to ok something and it goes more than 2-3 days call Forest river warranty Dept (save in speed dial) to see if they have even requested it. The guys I know there are super diligent about getting back to people! They understand you spent a lot of money. But the person on the phone did not build it. So you may be talking to them a lot over the next year or so. Be Nice and Patient and Understanding and you will be a happy camper in the long run. Be specific when you ask dealer when they requested something from Forest River get dates. Dealers sometimes forget to do anything until right before your vehicle is to be done! Also now with Covid suppliers are on back order on a lot of things! Happy Camping
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #9

QUOTE=GTown;2423609]I don't know where to start as I am extremely frustrated with my brand new 2020 Georgetown 33B3 that I purchased a month ago and only used it for 1 night of camping. Everything seems to fall apart!!.
First, welcome to the forum and very sorry for your frustration, you're in the same spot I was when I bought my FR Class A, a 2018 GT Series 5 Model 31L5 I had lots of issues, in spite of a pretty exhaustive PDI at the dealers. Luckily I was only an hour away because the first year it made multiple trips to them and spent most of the first year there. I'll go do your list and hopefully help answer some of your questions in Red Text. Even though it took a better part of 3 years and help from the FR Director of Warranty, in my particular case they all were finally fixed.
Took the MH for camping for the first time last week. I have owned 4 travel trailers in the past 20 years and this is my first MH so I kind a knew the basics.
When I got to the camping site, the bedroom slide out would not extend, I was getting 1 green blink and 4 red blinks indicating either the wire or motor is bad. So I went thought the files of manual that came with the MH but there was no manual for the slide out.
After long hours of agonizing attempts, I finally gave up and came home the next day.
I have all sorts of Lippert Literature because I had many issues with my main slide which was one of the last thing that Forest River finally fixed this year. I was trying to find out if you had the same slide set up as I did. This had the gear setup on the tops and bottom of the slide. This is more than likely what you have and that uses, for a lack of better term, two drill motors )one on each side at the top outside of the slides that drives a gear on the top and the attached long shaft with another gear on the bottom of the shaft. Since I ran into several times where the slide was stuck open and still at home and under warranty. They technically fixed it though I learned quickly the only way is too disconnect the gear system from the motor on each side push the slide in then reconnect the gears to the motor to keep it from sliding back out. BTW it sounds a lot easier than it is I helped one tech who was at a loss on what to do.

I found out so many issues with my MH on my first camping trip and I tried to make an appointment at the Forest River dealer but it's almost 50 days out. (Nov. 16th)
Most dealers are busier than ever before because of this pandemic. Don't give up push them to get it in earlier. Also realize that the dealers make a lot less doing warranty work than repairing non-warranty RVs. Be polite but persistent. You spent a lot of money and some dealers have very good service depts. and will work with you. But make enemies of them and they'll dig their heels in deeper. If they fail to help call FR Warranty but you need to work with the dealer first. If you find a local dealer that will help , all the better. Sometimes FR will authorize another dealership to do it as well. My slides this year was fixed by a non-FR dealer but the Warranty Director set it up and authorized it. Hopefully others with the same model can chime in with some helpful hints to either say theirs' doesn't do that or does. If it does then I'd feel a little better that just how it is, maybe!
Here is the list of problems that I found on my first trip:

1. TV and bracket came off on the bottom bunk (4 of 1.5" thin screws were holding the bracket and there was no frame to secure the 4 screws) - It was mounted right on to 1/16" thin wall panel without any screw anchors - The wall was hollow) - TV fell right off on my first trip.
Our first trip the sliding door to the bedroom hit the floor. I found they used Sheet metal screws into the wood instead of wood screws, unreal. I fixed it myself since it was an easy fix and I wanted it down right. On your case I'd make them replace the TV, I wouldn't doubt it will have a premature failure that they'll blame on you down the road.
2. As I mentioned earlier, the bedroom slide didn't move at all. No sound no nothing - I was connected to shore power (50amps), try to shut down the main circuit and repowered but nothing worked
Now since I've moved up this year into a DP I don't recall but some slides won't move unless the parking brake is on and the engine is running, some cases I think you even need to have the levelers out but this last one I'm not sure. Check out the fuses, make sure nothing is in the way blocking in from the inside.
3. Living area slide-out is making heavy banging noise whenever I stop and go. It sounds like something is sliding under the slide. I stopped the MH and looked under the sofa and dinette but nothing. It sounds like the whole slide is shifting back and forth. I called the dealer(where I purchased) and ask them for the direction to open the slide manually but they told me to make a reservation for service while he will talk to the service. (never had a luck hearing back from them since I purchase MH) After I made my payment it was very hard to get hold of them.
As for the main slide, which I had lots of issues with, in the end it did make some sort of sound when going out and I think when retracting it. I was told by several different places and service tech this was the slide settling in both ways. It work fine so I moved on. Its' hard to know how loud or heavy yours is compared to mine. Perhaps Others with the same model. I'd still bring it up and let them write it down and if there's issues later you have some proof they cleared it or supposed to have fixed it.

4. After taking the MH back home, I noticed that the front driver side bumper has been repainted. (Right below windshield - about 10" x 10") It's very hard to tell but I can feel the surface being rough compare to any other part of the bumper. The surface is not smooth at all I feel fine bumps and also found Forest River touch up Paint invoice in the closet.
Unfortunately this is something you'll need to work out with the dealer. Is it noticeable in the sense you can see the color difference? or does it feel like it was never buffed out or waxed? Can you crawl up underneath it and look up to see if there's any body work down to that area? Not sure you've been underneath much so be prepared. These particular models like the GT3, 5 and maybe 7 all are adapted to the Ford F53 Chassis that is widely used on trucks so the FR is, IMHO, pieced together with angle iron, and other things to make it fit. Great Chassis and motor but it's not a motorhome chassis by design.
5. Only one side of the wiper releases the water. Driver side does not.
I'm confused on what you say releases water? If you mean it's not clearing water off the windshield that could be a bad wiper or a bad wiper arm. On my 2018, my driver's side just broke off one day getting ready to leave on a trip and I was pulling the MH to the front to pack up, while raining. Called the area rep. who overnighted me a new arms for both sides and blades said they had a problem with them. Not cost to me glad it happened where it did.
6. The molding around bunk bed edge is already chipped and had to put duck tape to prevent further chipping. Side molding is loose and had to staple them back to the frame.
My molding continued to come off underneath the dinette seats. They fixed it twice, same thing happened I glued it and nailed it to finally fix it right. Staples just didn't work.
7. One of the storage compartment rubber came off when I opened the storage. Adhesive rubber is keep sticking to the door instead of the actual frame.
Wipe it off with some alcohol wipes or maybe even goop be gone. Might just be something on the door or gaskets. If continues then get them to replace them.
8. One of the side window screen will not close all the way. The edge is bent so much that it won't close. This was on the we owe you list but I still have not heard anything from them.
Again make the dealer fix this, nothing you can do here unless you foot a bill to replace it which is wrong. This is on them.
9. I never owned MH before so I am not sure how loud MH is but whenever I drive I have hard time hearing my wife speak. MH makes so much noise which I can live with but the banging noise coming under the slide out is bothering the hack out of me. Last thing I want to face is what if slide wont close again and I don't even know how to manually close them.
I'm sure someone, if not already, will advise on what to do. It's why I went to a DP. Noise with the engine right underneath you is very loud and FR doesn't put much insulation to stop it. There's stuff you can glue to the cowling and some even attach it under the floor boards but I never ended up doing it especially since I don't have it anymore.
Can anyone please tell me how I can manually close my slideout?
As I mentioned earlier it's not an easy task.
10. I bought my MH 1 month ago and I still can't get the state inspection because I still don't have the registration for it. I purchased MH in Georgia and drove it to PA. This dealer didn't even process my paperwork until I call them to ask why I am not getting the registration. That's when they told me that they need a copy of back of my driver's license.
This is just pure incompetence on their part. Call and talk to the owner or GM and get this done. The unfortunate thing when you buy so far away you don't have the convenience to just show up and bug the crap out of them loud and clear in their showroom or service dept. Call them constantly if you have to this is just laziness on their part.
11. Is propane sensor goes off easily? I was running refrigerator with propane and 1 hour into the drive alarm goes off. I stopped the vehicle and closed the propane valve. I tried again on the way back home but alarm didn't go off.
If I'm not mistaken there's two ways that they work, similar to a Smoke detector in a house. Batteries and shore power. If the battery is low this could be the issue or worse yet there could've been some propane lingering or missed starts on the fridge. Again this is something that should be done by the dealer if the battery isn't the issue and it happens again. It could be a connection was not correctly attached which is very dangerous.
3 weeks went by just like that and I was told by service center that they can't do the state inspection unless I have the state issued registration.
I had a motorhome for a month now and used it only one night of camping and things started to fall apart. I am so frustrated and had a hard time to sleep for past couple of days.
Is it normal that the my slide out(living area - right behind the driver side) has wider gap on the bottom then the top when it's closed? My bottom edge is almost 1.75" away from the sidewall where top is only 1" away.
As for the main slide My bottom Front edge was about an inch plus away from the side of the MH versus the other ones. I and they tried to re-sync them several times and the last time the slides were worked this year seemed to finally bring it in almost even.
I also noticed that the side rail (metal bar with teeth) is slightly curved on one side but the other side is parallel to the slide wall. The curved side metal bar is actually touching the side slide.
This is normal since there is some tension on them.
Does anyone has similar experiences on new MH?[/QUOTE]
Finally lots of folks have very little, and there might be some that have no issues, though I find that hard to believe. You need to be very handy or have lots of patience and money to own one. It can be very stressful but the various forums out there will provide you a lot of technical expertise that has been invaluable to me in not only resolving some issues but educating me. A lot of people never heard of these forums or just don't want to be involved. You'll get lots of good answers and a variety of different opinions and ideas but in the end it's only you that can make the decisions. If I can help in any way feel free to PM me. All I can say is try you best to be calm but don't be afraid to be persistent. It's you money and you've spent a lot of it to buy your MH.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

I bought my 2016 3010 DS new from a dealer in New York. The PDI was extensive and everything was perfect when I left. Half way home to Missouri things started to fall apart with every bump I hit. When I got home I took it to the nearest FR dealer, Camping World and they were useless. I have since got pretty good at repairing things rather than having it sitting in a dealers lot for months. Also the manufacture wasn't much help either. I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out the reality of RV ownership. Knock on wood, the last few trips since buying this unit in 2016 I have not had to fix something when I got home. I hope I've turned the dreaded repair corner.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #11

PDI lasted about 1 hour. Most of the time was spent on the things that wasn't working.
During the PDI I noticed:
1. Passenger side window would not shut completely (they fixed it right away)

2. Side screen window of the slide would not shut (end is bent so much he couldn't fix it) - they couldn't fix it and told me that they will order me a new screen window

3. Furnace cover had an area where paint was completely bubbled and was rusted. (2" x 2") right on the furnace cover and was very visible. - They told me that they will send a replacement cover for it but it's been over 1 month and still have not heard from them.

4. I called multiple times about the replacement furnace panel and screen window but always same answer " let me find out and call you back" and they never do.

5. So I sent an email to GM, telling him how frustrated I am. I ask him if I should just paint the 2" x 2" are when I paint the bumper. it will be cheaper to paint then replace the whole panel. His answer was he has to check with service team and told me that he will get back to me. This was 8 days ago. I am tired of call ing them and getting same answers over an over again.

I just get mroe frustrated by calling them so I stopped and I am trying to see if I can take the MH back to Forest River for them to take a look at.

This will cost me thousands of dallors to take the MH to Indiana.
1. Gas
2. My vacation time (PTO)
3. Rental car to drive back home
4. Stay at hotel
5. Rental car to get to Indiana when MH is ready for pick up
6. vacation time(PTO)
7. Gas and hotel

At this point I am so sick of it and don't really care about the money. I just want my MH to work properly and don't have to worry about something banging whenever I stop and accelarate.

Couple of chips on the front bumper ( They told me to take the MH and then get the paint job done and send them the bill)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #12

Thank you so much for the tip. I will try your method tonight and see if this will make the difference.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
PDI lasted about 1 hour. Most of the time was spent on the things that wasn't working.
During the PDI I noticed:
1. Passenger side window would not shut completely (they fixed it right away)

2. Side screen window of the slide would not shut (end is bent so much he couldn't fix it) - they couldn't fix it and told me that they will order me a new screen window

3. Furnace cover had an area where paint was completely bubbled and was rusted. (2" x 2") right on the furnace cover and was very visible. - They told me that they will send a replacement cover for it but it's been over 1 month and still have not heard from them.

4. I called multiple times about the replacement furnace panel and screen window but always same answer " let me find out and call you back" and they never do.

5. So I sent an email to GM, telling him how frustrated I am. I ask him if I should just paint the 2" x 2" are when I paint the bumper. it will be cheaper to paint then replace the whole panel. His answer was he has to check with service team and told me that he will get back to me. This was 8 days ago. I am tired of calling them and getting same answers over an over again.

I just get more frustrated by calling them so I stopped and I am trying to see if I can take the MH back to Forest River for them to take a look at.

This will cost me thousands of dollars to take the MH to Indiana.
1. Gas
2. My vacation time (PTO)
3. Rental car to drive back home
4. Stay at hotel
5. Rental car to get to Indiana when MH is ready for pick up
6. vacation time(PTO)
7. Gas and hotel

At this point I am so sick of it and don't really care about the money. I just want my MH to work properly and don't have to worry about something banging whenever I stop and accelerate.

Couple of chips on the front bumper ( They told me to take the MH and then get the paint job done and send them the bill)
Sorry for your continued problems. Can I ask if any of the issues including the ones that were fixed are on your sale invoice? Always make sure they are before you drive out. If you bring it in for service make sure every detail you provide them is also on it after you carefully go through any fixes. Do not and I repeat, do not let them rush you out. Try never to pick it up close to the end of the day this will give them an excuse to rush you out. I know it's a PITA of constantly calling them but unfortunately bugging the crap out of them daily is one way to get them to follow through If you go the Service manager or GM email start writing them emails. Always keep it professional so they can not blame you as being to hostile. An excuse I've heard others were told. Keep detail records of the calls, time, dates what transpired and results of the call. I know this is yet another PITA but, IMHO these are very important steps then call them one more time. Provide the list of issues and tell them you'll wait on the phone for them to get you answers, no more waiting for call backs. If that fails contact FR directly and talk to someone that will listen. You should not have to travel all that way but perhaps FR will authorize going to another dealer. They did it for me and my slide, awning and several long time issues were finally fixed correctly.
Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #14

Thank you for the tip!!
I just sent FR long email about the problems that I have hopefully they will send me to other dealer who can service my RV sooner. Can't wait to use them but so hard to get to the bedroom when the slide is in.

Tags
first trip, georgetown, led