Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #1

2020 GT5 creaking when level

Hi everyone. I’ve tried searching for this issue but no luck. We have a 34H5 and when we’re leveled up I have creaking that happens at random times including at night. Anyone figure out what it is and how to fix it?

TIA
Roger
Raider Battalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
NXR

Creaking or clunking? I assume creaking, which is more sustained than clunking but I figured I'd ask.

Clunking would be the Battery Charge Controller noticing the chassis battery voltage is dropping. It engages a contactor, the clunk, to charge it up. Once it's charged the BCC disengages the contactor, which is a second clunk.

Ray
Old 08-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #3

I would also call it clunking. But it is coming from all over the coach not localized from one spot. It could also clunk simultaneously from several locations. Also, I haven’t seen any issues with the battery voltage.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Battalion View Post
Hi everyone. I’ve tried searching for this issue but no luck. We have a 34H5 and when we’re leveled up I have creaking that happens at random times including at night. Anyone figure out what it is and how to fix it?

TIA
Roger
Ok. Here’s a test.
Next time you’re out camping, try to get the motorhome as level as possible without using the leveling system. Maybe even a few times, and see if the clunking goes away.
It’s a start to eliminate possibilities. And you’ll get to see who the “dainty” ones are in the motorhome.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

It's more than likely from the levelers. It's a known thing on this forum for a long time. It's more of a nuisance than an issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
I would also call it clunking. But it is coming from all over the coach not localized from one spot. It could also clunk simultaneously from several locations. Also, I haven’t seen any issues with the battery voltage.
You won't see any issues with the chassis battery unless you go to start the engine and it doesn't. Or the little blue lights on the driver's area USB jacks are off because the chassis battery is dead.

The contactor is located in the first compartment aft of the door on the passenger side, where the house batteries and the leveling jacks and fluid reservoir are located. The back wall of that compartment, the one facing the center of the motorhome, is open for venting purposes so the sound does travel.

If you're plugged into shore power, you could disconnect the house batteries by pressing the bottom of the spring-loaded switch next to the passenger seat. If the house batteries are disconnected then the chassis battery will not charge. If you still hear the noise it's not what I think it is. (Neither the house batteries or the chassis battery will charge on shore power if you have the batteries disconnected with that spring-loaded switch.)

Yes, if you're on shore power and you disconnect the house batteries that little yellow light on the spring-loaded switch stays lit. The light is useless.

Or open that compartment door and see if the noise is a lot louder when you're outside.

Ray
Old 08-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:

TIA
Roger
I had that issue inside. It would cluck or creak sometimes. The coach would be a little unlevel in the morning but not by much. Maybe 1/4" or less.
What I did was to add a hydraulic fluid conditioner I bought at the local CAT dealer. I added less than a quart of it in my system. Cycled the system several times and after about a month if went away. I got this idea from Lippert help line.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #8

Probably air in hydraulic system
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #9

Thank you for all the input. I’ve narrowed it down to the jacks. I’ll have to get a hold of lippert to get the info on the conditioner.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

Here's something that may help: You can also run the forum search for anti stiction which will have many posts
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #11

Thank you! I did try to do a search but didn’t find a solution. This really helps.