Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

2021 36k7 factory defect?

Hello, We recently purchased a 2021 Georgetown 36k7 and upon inspecting the coach a few days ago I notice that when the big main slide is out that one of the rollers is pushing through the bottom of my slide. If you look at the pictures attached it seems like Forest River forgot to install 3-5 rollers that would have taken the load when the slide is out. They did install multiple rollers toward the front of the coach but only 1 roller in the back. Let me know your thoughts. So far I can it get anybody at Forest River to respond to my question. I’m getting the feeling they don’t want to admit their factory screwed this up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46E70162-D8C2-4697-8F20-0C193C33916A.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	266400   Click image for larger version

Name:	1A568FF9-62EB-4C32-AE5B-2454555F5063.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	266401   Click image for larger version

Name:	69EB03E8-0B37-4DA3-A757-2C74C1ECD89A.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	266402  
36k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum it is a great place to get your questions answered. does seem like something got missed. I'm surprised there is not a seal installed both front and rear covering the roller area and sealing the bottom of the slide box.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #3

That's going to be a problem.
I would suggest you get an appointment to take it to the factory service department
johndewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
NXR

Known issue with almost all RV manufacturers. As long as you bought new, the factory usually will authorize the installation of "slide ski" plates between each roller and the bottom of the slide under warranty.

Those are 1/8" stainless steel plates that are pre-cut and pre-drilled. If you're out of warranty I've read that sometimes the plates will be supplied for the cost of freight. But they are heavy.

The Lippert SlimRack slide installation manual specifies where to install the rollers. Mine is similar to yours as I have more rollers under the recliners because there usually is more weight close together in that area.

Now go look at your other slides very closely and see if you have any other damage beginning. The bottom of mine went from perfectly smooth to being able to see "rippling" in the paint when looking at the bottom of the slide obliquely. Because I was aware of this problem I kept a look out for it and wrote it up while still under warranty, barely.

Some people go years without any problems and others have it happen in the first year and some people never have it.

This company makes the plates for a lot of different RV manufacturer units: Guardian Plates | TALIN Manufacturing

Ray
Old 12-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #5

We also own a 2021 Georgetown 36k7 and after seeing your pictures, will definitely look at out slide outs also. As for repairs, the best course of action to to start with the dealer’s service department. I will be first to tell you not all service departments are best to deal with. However, I can tell you there are also some great ones out there. They can be your best advocate to getting the repairs accomplished and also potentially covered under warranty. We had several things that need to be fixed on our unit that were caused at the factory and the local service depart has been able to fix all of them and at no cost to me. They also found more items than I pointed out to them, because of there inspection of the unit.
TRIPTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Known issue with almost all RV manufacturers. As long as you bought new, the factory usually will authorize the installation of "slide ski" plates between each roller and the bottom of the slide under warranty.

Those are 1/8" stainless steel plates that are pre-cut and pre-drilled. If you're out of warranty I've read that sometimes the plates will be supplied for the cost of freight. But they are heavy.

The Lippert SlimRack slide installation manual specifies where to install the rollers. Mine is similar to yours as I have more rollers under the recliners because there usually is more weight close together in that area.

Now go look at your other slides very closely and see if you have any other damage beginning. The bottom of mine went from perfectly smooth to being able to see "rippling" in the paint when looking at the bottom of the slide obliquely. Because I was aware of this problem I kept a look out for it and wrote it up while still under warranty, barely.

Some people go years without any problems and others have it happen in the first year and some people never have it.

This company makes the plates for a lot of different RV manufacturer units: Guardian Plates | TALIN Manufacturing

Ray
Thanks Ray, shockingly enough the part of my slide that has the big heavy recliners has only 1 roller supporting it! Just a terrible oversite by Forest River. Those rollers can’t cost more than a few dollars a piece and they installed 1 4” roller to probably take on hundreds of lbs. The other end that has the lighter kitchen table has 6 rollers supporting it! You can’t make this stuff up.

Also, in doing some research it seems like this has been a known problem for many years, why in 2021 they don’t install the steel guide plates from the factory is crazy. I purchased this unit from the first owner, so of course the warranty doesn’t transfer. But this seems like a factory defect(lack of installed rollers)not something that broke but was originally installed correctly.

I’ve emailed many people at Forest River and so far I have not received one response. I’m thinking they know they screwed this one up. I really don’t want to deal with taking this to a dealer, I’m perfectly capable of installing these guide plates, I just hope FR will step up and send me the plates.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPTYM View Post
We also own a 2021 Georgetown 36k7 and after seeing your pictures, will definitely look at out slide outs also. As for repairs, the best course of action to to start with the dealer’s service department. I will be first to tell you not all service departments are best to deal with. However, I can tell you there are also some great ones out there. They can be your best advocate to getting the repairs accomplished and also potentially covered under warranty. We had several things that need to be fixed on our unit that were caused at the factory and the local service depart has been able to fix all of them and at no cost to me. They also found more items than I pointed out to them, because of there inspection of the unit.
Definitely take a look and get ahead of it. Mine only has 1 roller installed for the back 10ft of the slide and it’s the heaviest part(recliner chairs and bunk beds). I can hardly believe they put it together like this.
Get the slide plates installed now so you don’t have to worry about rollers blowing through the bottom of your floor like mine.

Another thing you might want to look at is your fresh water tanks. From the factory on mine they did not have the vent tube connecting the two tanks attached to the ceiling..because it was sagging the second(smaller) would not fill up and I was probably losing 20-30 gallons of water storage. FR did respond to me on that issue and said they were sending it to engineering because most people would have never dug deep enough to realize they were having this problem. It’s hard to get your head inside that compartment to see your second water tank. I’ll try and send some pictures if you would like them?
Old 12-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum it is a great place to get your questions answered. does seem like something got missed. I'm surprised there is not a seal installed both front and rear covering the roller area and sealing the bottom of the slide box.
I agree Seadog. However, I’ve looked at quite a few YouTube videos of walkarounds on my unit and on all the videos I’ve seen that show under the slide the rollers are exposed with no seal. Seems like an easy entrance for cold air unless there is a deal deeper under the slide that I can’t see.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:55 AM   #9
NXR

2021 36k7 factory defect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36k7
I agree Seadog. However, I’ve looked at quite a few YouTube videos of walkarounds on my unit and on all the videos I’ve seen that show under the slide the rollers are exposed with no seal. Seems like an easy entrance for cold air unless there is a deal deeper under the slide that I can’t see.
Look from the inside. I have a fixed wiper seal on the outside and one on the inside that moves with the slide. We have no air leakage past that one.

If you get the slide skis installed they do not cut the fixed wiper seal. That means the seal is no longer a seal because it gets "bent" around the edge of the slide ski.

Just stick a vacuum cleaner crevice tool in there ASAP to get the wood, wire pieces, screws, staples, etc. out before they gouge the flooring.

Ray
Old 12-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

Slide Plates

I emailed Celestino Lopez at Forest River when I had to add the plates. Here's his email: clopez@forestriverinc.com I would think he could help with the warranty, if you still have a warranty available too.
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
I emailed Celestino Lopez at Forest River when I had to add the plates. Here's his email: clopez@forestriverinc.com I would think he could help with the warranty, if you still have a warranty available too.
Thanks Joe,
Cel, actually emailed me this morning. One of my emails was forwarded to him. Forest river is sending me out the plates which is nice but won’t do the install because I’m the second owner. I still feel the lack of rollers on my slide is a total factory defect and should fall under a circumstantial recall. Awful design.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #12

Are they still building them without the stainless plates. This issue goes back to the late 2000’s! Mine had the stainless plates installed when it was under warranty.
Get it taken care of ASAP.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Are they still building them without the stainless plates. This issue goes back to the late 2000’s! Mine had the stainless plates installed when it was under warranty.
Get it taken care of ASAP.
Mine came with none. The warranty dept said they come with reinforcement but the rollers could have been misplaced. I’m calling BS on that. My roller is right in a spot it should be in and it went through my floor.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #14

You may have a water leak which rotted the plywood on the other side of the fiberglass. I would start investigating from the inside to see what happened to allow that roller to sink in.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
You may have a water leak which rotted the plywood on the other side of the fiberglass. I would start investigating from the inside to see what happened to allow that roller to sink in.
There is no water leak. The wood is bone dry. What we have is bad design. I’ve got (1) 4” roller that’s being asked to bare the weight of the entire second half of the slide. There is recliner chairs and bunk beds on that side where kids sleep. This should fall under a recall no question. If ANYBODY buys this unit and is still under warranty get it addressed asap. There is no way on earth this design was going to last. I’m expecting the roller to go out next. No wonder they offer a 1 year non transferable, non extendedable warranty.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #16

Your picture clearly shows the roller created a deep enough gouge that the roller bracket is now gouging the fiberglass. I’m guessing 1/4” deep, the plywood is damaged underneath. Something made the plywood soft enough to allow the weight to crush it.

Water leaks in a side are not always discovered or noticed easily. Leaks could go on for months before noticing a leak in a slide.

The picture also shows a brown residue coming from the cracks.

I wish you luck with your repairs.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Your picture clearly shows the roller created a deep enough gouge that the roller bracket is now gouging the fiberglass. I’m guessing 1/4” deep, the plywood is damaged underneath. Something made the plywood soft enough to allow the weight to crush it.

Water leaks in a side are not always discovered or noticed easily. Leaks could go on for months before noticing a leak in a slide.

The picture also shows a brown residue coming from the cracks.

I wish you luck with your repairs.
Why would forest river have 6 rollers on the front side of the slide and 1 roller for the last 10 ft?
Old 12-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #18

There are a million questions about why forest river does things.

So your saying you have 7 rollers and
You agreed to accept 7 plates to resolve the issue???

All I’m saying is there looks like more is happening in that area and needs a closer look. If the caulk condition on your seals represent all the caulk on the slide you may have more issues hidden behind the fiberglass.

Just trying to help.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #19

Quote:
There are a million questions about why forest river does things.

So your saying you have 7 rollers and
You agreed to accept 7 plates to resolve the issue???

All I’m saying is there looks like more is happening in that area and needs a closer look. If the caulk condition on your seals represent all the caulk on the slide you may have more issues hidden behind the fiberglass.

Just trying to help.
I appreciate that..I actually asked for 11 plates for every roller on my rig. I think if you saw how much weight the one roller is taking on you would understand. If they didn’t cheap out and installed an equal amount of rollers on the back half of the slide this wouldn’t be happening.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #20
NXR

The pic is from Lippert's Technical Training doc on the SlimRack system. Their OEM install manual says Lippert must audit each new installation but who knows wat that really means.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rollers.PNG
Views:	95
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	266531  

Tags
2021, factory