Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

Unhappy 2021.5 Georgetown GT7 36D7 - Bedroom Slide stuck in the out position. Won't retract.

I'm wondering if anyone has a diagram of how to access the rear bedroom slide motor. Our bedroom slide will not retract and is showing a Fault - Motor. When calling the dealer, they stated it could even be that the motor has come unplugged or a pinched wire. We have only had this new RV a week and haven't even used it yet. With it fully extended, you can't access anything from inside behind the trim. The area on the side of the slide outside doesn't have enough room to reach anything such as a motor. I have googled and searched everywhere to try to find how to check for connections and access to the motor to no avail. Of course, with it fully extended, it isn't possible to drive the 3 hours to the dealer for repair. We are currently being told it is appr $500 just for a mobile tech to come and FR will not reimburse this amount. As we have a trip planned for this upcoming weekend, we REALLY want to get this resolved in time to not have to cancel our trip. Currently, it is unknown if the the mobile tech will be able to come out in time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have also tried multiple times and left multiple messages with Forest River to try and obtain this info, but no luck with returned calls.
I posted this in the Tech Talk section, but was thought this might be a more appropriate section to post this.
onlyhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyhonda View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has a diagram of how to access the rear bedroom slide motor. Our bedroom slide will not retract and is showing a Fault - Motor. When calling the dealer, they stated it could even be that the motor has come unplugged or a pinched wire. We have only had this new RV a week and haven't even used it yet. With it fully extended, you can't access anything from inside behind the trim. The area on the side of the slide outside doesn't have enough room to reach anything such as a motor. I have googled and searched everywhere to try to find how to check for connections and access to the motor to no avail. Of course, with it fully extended, it isn't possible to drive the 3 hours to the dealer for repair. We are currently being told it is appr $500 just for a mobile tech to come and FR will not reimburse this amount. As we have a trip planned for this upcoming weekend, we REALLY want to get this resolved in time to not have to cancel our trip. Currently, it is unknown if the the mobile tech will be able to come out in time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have also tried multiple times and left multiple messages with Forest River to try and obtain this info, but no luck with returned calls.
I posted this in the Tech Talk section, but was thought this might be a more appropriate section to post this.
Read my thread Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor.

I thought the motor was bad but I had a loose wire.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Read my thread Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor.

I thought the motor was bad but I had a loose wire.
We are thinking it may just be a wire came unplugged.....either way, whether bad motor or loose wiring, we can't find access to check either one. I REALLY do not want to tear up all the moldings on an 8 day old brand new RV that hasn't even been out on its' first trip. It sounds so familiar to your situation though. We have done everything suggested by the dealership service department with no luck so far.
onlyhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
NXR

If the slide is out you cannot really get to the motor from the inside. Get a ladder and put it against the side where the motor will not move. In the upper 25% or so on each side is the motor. Bend the wiper seal out of the way as much as you can and you may be able to access what you need. Worst case you may need to unscrew the entire vertical wiper seal on that side. I've never had to do that, yet, so I'm guessing here.

I've put all of the docs I've collected on the SlimRack system on OneDrive at this link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArSWfZbFhJ3ZenWy...tAfD8?e=MA0TCX

Hopefully there is something there that will help you.

Ray
Old 06-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #5

Thank you so much. I will look to see if we can access that.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
NXR

I tested it from two browsers where I was not logged in and I could access them but from Chrome it made me login. If it makes you login and you can't, just post back and I can clutter up the forum with the attachments, if they're not too large.

Ray
Old 06-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Oops.....I think I worded that wrong. I meant see if I can access the areas on the RV. I was able to access your info that you included and I think it may actually help find the motor and/or wiring. It appears we may need to remove the trim that holds the rubber piece to access the motor. We couldn't figure out how in the world to get into that small space. With it being fully extended, there is no access from the interior due to all the mouldings and trim being against the wall.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
We are thinking it may just be a wire came unplugged.....either way, whether bad motor or loose wiring, we can't find access to check either one. I REALLY do not want to tear up all the moldings on an 8 day old brand new RV that hasn't even been out on its' first trip. It sounds so familiar to your situation though. We have done everything suggested by the dealership service department with no luck so far.
If you are still in warranty, call Forest River.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

Oh we did......this is a brand new, only driven from dealership to our home, RV. You don't even want to know my feelings on contacting Forest River and their response. It has been a long time since I have been this disappointed in a company!
Old 06-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Oh we did......this is a brand new, only driven from dealership to our home, RV. You don't even want to know my feelings on contacting Forest River and their response. It has been a long time since I have been this disappointed in a company!
Feel free to click on SALES and SERVICE on this link and spam, errr, sorry, "explain" your dilemma and what you were told and by whom.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...gionSelected=1

Ray
Old 06-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Feel free to click on SALES and SERVICE on this link and spam, errr, sorry, "explain" your dilemma and what you were told and by whom.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...gionSelected=1

Ray
I am pretty sure I will be the one with ** by my name with every level before this is over.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
I am pretty sure I will be the one with ** by my name with every level before this is over.
Yeah, two stars never cuts it. Go for five stars.

Ray
Old 06-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #13

Do you know which slide mechanism you have? A pic of the outside rails will let us know. If you can find the slide controller, you can override it and bring the slide in. Does yours have the electronic display for all your controls?
parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:19 PM   #14

My brother in laws Georgetown 31 rl big slide only works if plugged in to power or the generator running. Try plugging in to power or run the generator and click the coach power switch off and then try with the switch on.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #15

Thank you for all the suggestions. I did speak to a tech through the SafeRide (or whatever the name of it is) who told me due to the electronics of the slide system and the electronic operations of it, it will be next to impossible for us to manually retract the slide without a specialized mechanics "switch". So....it apparently needs a new motor or wire harness.....Forest River has been better to deal with (I won't completely retract my unhappiness until I see the final resolution), but now the mobile tech the Dealership set up has went quiet. As of yesterday, he was expecting delivery of the necessary parts to arrive via delivery truck at any moment which would place him coming today......and nothing. We have tried reaching out to him for an update, and no answer. My frustration level is to the point I have very little joy left for this new Expensive purchase. There is no way we should be at almost 7 days of absolutely being stuck. Can't take it in for repairs, can't get it repaired.......HUGE HUNK OF JUNK taking up room!!!
Old 06-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Thank you for all the suggestions. I did speak to a tech through the SafeRide (or whatever the name of it is) who told me due to the electronics of the slide system and the electronic operations of it, it will be next to impossible for us to manually retract the slide without a specialized mechanics "switch".
There is no such thing for the SlimRack system. No "switch" can work if the motor or its wiring is bad anyways.

If you hear a click from the motor that does not run when you try to extend or retract that probably is the motor brake disengaging. That would be good. What I've done for someone else:

1. Measure how far each side of the slide is from the motorhome outside wall. Using the good motor, either extend or retract the good side so it matches the distance of the bad side.

2. This part works best with three people, one inside and two outside.

The person inside hits RETRACT and as soon as the two people outside hear or see the good side start to move they begin pushing on the bad side. When either the outside or inside people see the one side of the slide is too far in or out, YELL STOP.

3. Then repeat steps 1 and 2 until you get the slide in.

We did this on a Tiffin Wayfarer Class C and it took about ten minutes to get their slide in.

I do not know if two people are required outside because I was inside. I do not know if the clicking from the bad motor is mandatory or not.

Your bed slide is higher up so it may be a bit of a challenge to push it in. Maybe the people can stand on a wooden picnic table or something.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 06-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #17

Did you say what brand the slide is?
Old 06-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #18

Ray,
Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, there is no click from the bad motor. We have actually already tried the method you suggested. It doesn't budge. We have decided our only course of action is to start taking off trim and pieces until we get to the motor. We are praying we find it unplugged....if not, guess we will order/wait on the replacement parts and try to become RV technicians.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrott View Post
Did you say what brand the slide is?
It is the Lippert Slim Rack Slide.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #20

Have you read this manual?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1JBaCVXzKS.pdf

This one has all the Lippert slides.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...0001573-10.pdf

Tags