Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
2021 Georgetown 36K7

2021 Georgetown usb/hdmi questions

I just purchased a new Georgetown. Does anybody know how the USB/HDMI connections are supposed to work? Is there anyway to put a central DVD or Blu-ray player and have it go to all of the televisions?
Afamilyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #2

My understanding of USB ports is that a USB port is simply a source of electrical power to accommodate our electronic devices. Sounds like you’d need some sort of specialized wiring and electronics setup to enable viewing from a single source on multiple TV’s.

Congrats on your new GT!! We love our 2019 GT5 34H5 [emoji41]

- Carol

2019 Forest River Georgetown GT5 34H5
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
RedBugNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
NXR

Someone did that in a GT5 34H5 and posted how they did it in Modifications and Updates but I cannot find that post right now.

He ran the new HDMI cables through the ceiling ventilation ducts to go from the front to the back and then snaked the cables left-right to get to the individual TVs. He then added an HDMI splitter where he put the DVD player.

HTH,

Ray
Old 10-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

...and with the lower cost of DVD players these days, the easiest fix is a separate player setup with each TV location. Don’t know if that is possible with the outside TV.

Thanks, NXR (Ray) — your input is always educational for us [emoji4]

- Carol

Old 10-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBugNana View Post
...and with the lower cost of DVD players these days, the easiest fix is a separate player setup with each TV location. Don’t know if that is possible with the outside TV.
Thanks for the nice compliment. Here's another educational tip, hopefully.

It actually might be very easy. Open the rear-most passenger side basement compartment on your 34H5, the one at the 7 o'clock position from the TV (since I presume you're old enough to remember when clocks had hands ).

On the front wall near the top you should see a black box protruding from the wall. Our 2020 has the box but I don't know if the earlier model years have it.

That box has a USB jack and an HDMI port on it. I think there's a 120 VAC outlet on it also, or maybe the outlet is on the back wall of that compartment.

The HDMI jack is wired to the outside TV's HDMI-2 port. You can put the DVD player in that compartment, plug into the 120 VAC outlet and plug into that HDMI port. Turn on the TV and press the HDMI button on the remote control twice to select the HDMI2 port and you will see your DVD's.

If you turn on your outside radio by pressing the Jensen logo, you can press the Mode button to select AUX IN and now the TV will play through the outside radio and speakers, which sounds a whole lot better than the TV speakers. You have to control the volume with the radio controls, though.

We usually keep a Roku plugged into that HDMI and USB port but have dragged the DVD player outside a few times.

HTH,

Ray
Old 10-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Outdated info

Quote:
My understanding of USB ports is that a USB port is simply a source of electrical power to accommodate our electronic devices. Sounds like you’d need some sort of specialized wiring and electronics setup to enable viewing from a single source on multiple TV’s.

Congrats on your new GT!! We love our 2019 GT5 34H5 [emoji41]

- Carol
Umm, the newest flavor of USB, called USB-C, does indeed deliver video and audio. Given that RVs tend to lag a few years behind the state of the art, we probably won't see that technology in RVs for another 4-5 years.

Here is an example of a computer monitor which accepts either HDMI or USB-C signals. (Scroll down to "Specifications" and click it to see the video specs.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

My original response was very basic. Our TV’s do accept inputs of video and data from various sources, but the various USB ports scattered thru our 2019 GT are charging ports. There are also ports on our media center in the cockpit—we are still learning how to fully use that device. I understood the original question to be asking about a centralized source that would handle video traffic throughout the RV to multiple locations (via USB and/or HDMI)—that doesn’t exist in our current models. Maybe that specialized type option exists in high-end DP models. Or, as NXR mentioned, it can be a user mod...for the right outflow of $$, an enterprising RV’er can do all sorts of upgrades [emoji41]

I do appreciate all the expertise shared on these forums...y’all are some mighty sharp folks [emoji591][emoji594][emoji904]

- Carol

Old 10-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #8

You are absolutely right!

Quote:
My original response was very basic. Our TV’s do accept inputs of video and data from various sources, but the various USB ports scattered thru our 2019 GT are charging ports. There are also ports on our media center in the cockpit—we are still learning how to fully use that device. I understood the original question to be asking about a centralized source that would handle video traffic throughout the RV to multiple locations (via USB and/or HDMI)—that doesn’t exist in our current models. Maybe that specialized type option exists in high-end DP models. Or, as NXR mentioned, it can be a user mod...for the right outflow of $$, an enterprising RV’er can do all sorts of upgrades [emoji41]

I do appreciate all the expertise shared on these forums...y’all are some mighty sharp folks [emoji591][emoji594][emoji904]

- Carol
Carol, you are absolutely right. The original poster asked whether he could distribute video by HDMI or USB. I agree with you--in today's RVs, you can only use HDMI. It will be at least a few years before USB-C becomes an option.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown