Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Exclamation 2021 GT5 34H5 fuel fill inlet warning

2021.0 GT5 34H5

When I went out to crank up the motorhome to head out for a trip last weekend, I smelled gas fumes but didn’t really think anything of it. About half way on my 50 mile trip, I got a warning that popped up telling me “Check Fuel Fill Inlet”. When I parked the motor home I noticed the gas smell outside the motorhome. Once I leveled and cut the engine, the smell was gone.

Fast forward to Monday evening, cranked up to head home, immediately got the same warning and could smell gas fumes again. Turned on the ac in the dash and it was terrible! Turned off the ac as it was a holiday and hoped to make it home praying there was nothing major wrong and would make it the 50 miles back home. Needless to say it was hot and after I got on the road I tried the ac again. Thankfully no gas smell while riding down the road, but when I slowed down to a crawl in traffic I had to cut the ac off due to the fumes. Made it home, parked and the gas fumes smell was terrible outside the rig. Cut it off and haven’t cut it back on since.

I am still under warranty for another 2 months, and I emailed my dealership today but I’m wondering if this is something that I need to take it to a Ford dealership for instead of my rv dealer. Also, is it even safe to drive somewhere to get service? I live in a small rural town in SC with no one close by to service it. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
pthunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
NXR

Does the V8 chassis still have a real gas cap or does it have the cap-less spring-loaded door? That warning is not uncommon on Fords without a real fuel cap when the door does not seal.

Not sure why the dash air would be picking up fumes, though.

This will be a Ford issue and you should have a 3 year 36,000 mile Ford warranty as well as 5 years of Roadside Assistance from Ford. I'd call the Ford Roadside Assistance number and have your VIN handy, even though you're back home.

Make sure you mention that the dash air picked up fumes strongly. I'd be concerned about a fuel leak up front rather than at the fill neck.

Ray
Old 09-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #3

I'm with NXR. No way you should smell fumes from the front AC unless there was a leak up front. Not something to put off. Call roadside assistance and get someone out there.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Does the V8 chassis still have a real gas cap or does it have the cap-less spring-loaded door? That warning is not uncommon on Fords without a real fuel cap when the door does not seal.

Not sure why the dash air would be picking up fumes, though.

This will be a Ford issue and you should have a 3 year 36,000 mile Ford warranty as well as 5 years of Roadside Assistance from Ford. I'd call the Ford Roadside Assistance number and have your VIN handy, even though you're back home.

Make sure you mention that the dash air picked up fumes strongly. I'd be concerned about a fuel leak up front rather than at the fill neck.

Ray
I will call this morning and see when they can get someone out. I have the rig added to my Ford app so I always have the vin on me thankfully. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2021, 04:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
I'm with NXR. No way you should smell fumes from the front AC unless there was a leak up front. Not something to put off. Call roadside assistance and get someone out there.
Thank you for the response!! I did check the fuel cap to ensure it was on tight. Will be calling Ford roadside assistance today. Thank you so much!
Old 09-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #6

Did you even look to see if you had a fuel leak anywhere, particularly the engine sign engine it smells with the engine running at idle?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Did you even look to see if you had a fuel leak anywhere, particularly the engine sign engine it smells with the engine running at idle?
Yes. I have looked as well as I can and can find no evidence of a leak. Seems to be an evap leak somewhere near the engine but I am not Davy enough to find and fix it. There is no liquid leak anywhere that I can find, just fumes. Being that it is most noticeable at the front of the rig and when running the dash ac, leads me to believe it is somewhere near the engine.

Tags
2021, fuel