Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #1
21Gt7

2021 GT7 32 J Epic Fail

Our new coach Georgetown gt7 32j is an Epic Fail!
Dash air in adequate
Handling when loaded is absolutely scary
Cockpit noise level is deafening
Doghouse cover temp exceeds 120 f by drivers feet
Kitchen slide not working again.
Trim falling off everywhere

This is our 3 short trip, my wife and I are truly disappointed by this coach and for the amount of money we spent purchasing it. We are afraid to take anywhere, and are now going to trade it in for something of better quality. It this is the best forest river has to offer, someone should seriously look at their quality controll or at least drive what they build. This coach is abysmal!
turnski10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:52 AM   #2
Steve & Linda M.

Is this your 1st Motorhome ?

If not, what kept you from noticing your complaints before purchase ?

If it is your 1st Motorhome purchase, what research did you do to see if the model met your expectations ?

Did you rent a gas powered Class A ?

Buying a RV is like getting married. You get what you invest out of the relationship. If the relationship fails, it's usually not one sided.

RV's rarely are perfect and workmanship has been suffering. But then you already knew that.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:22 AM   #3

2021 and 2022 RVs have a lot of quality control issues and a LOT of problems. I’ve heard and read about people referring to them as “Covid Campers”.
However, handling and road noise in Class A gas MH is notorious.
The F53 chassis is a school bus chassis. Have you ridden in or driven a school bus? They are not known for a nice ride… When diving a Class A, the smallest reduction in driver vigilance will immediately show itself. This is not a passenger car or truck that you can half-ass pay attention to driving while eating and/or talking on the phone, singing along with your favorite Spotify playlist, or playing grabass with the wife.
100% of your attention needs to be on handling this bus.
Dash air will not cool a MH. Run the genny when you’re on the road. It keeps the refer cold, too.
As far as the slide, trim, and other living area issues, my best advice is to buy used. All of that BS has been handled by the previous (probably disgruntled) owner.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #4

Lots of excuses for why the rv's are problematic now . None of them are good excuses . Time people started demanding a product that matches the high price paid . So either you refuse to buy or you deal with it and do your best to turn that sows ear into a silk purse . most Rv's today are pigs with lipstick . couldn't help my self
you should be able to drive and eat or sing without fear and you should not have to spend thousands to get the ride and control that is comfortable .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
21Gt7

Firstly not my first coach., last coach we had for 14 years and yes like all coaches it had its problems.
But when you spend the kind of money that we did on this some things should have been caught well before it left the factory.
Had we have been given the opportunity to drive this coach before purchase , I would not have purchased it. I also knew and told my wife of forestriver subpar fit and finish, but she fell in love with the shiny stainless steel appliances.
But the suspension issue is reprehensible.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
NXR

If some of you folks have not reviewed the OP's previous post on the ride problems you may want to: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-a-250028.html

This is not all on the OP. You'll note from his other thread that multiple FR factory employees chimed in although I have no idea what the results of those discussions and efforts were.

The FR Georgetown division has some of the best support and customer-focused employees that I've ever worked with, especially the upper management. They want satisfied customers.

But sometimes even that is not enough when the 32J7 was built on the 22K chassis instead of the 24K chassis like the other two GT7 models are. One person with a 32J7 was shocked to find he was 900 lbs over GVWR when his family and their stuff was inside. His OCCC was barely over 1,800 lbs. Other people with the GT7 on the 24K chassis have reported an OCCC over 3,000 lbs.

As for "quality", we bought our 2020 brand new in 2019 (took delivery three years ago yesterday) and I had 98 pages of write-ups during the warranty period. Yes, on a pre-COVID camper. (I am verbose in my problem descriptions and include pictures so it wasn't quite as bad as "98 pages" sounds but there were a large number of problems, some major. All were fixed, by the factory in the end.)

As for "buy used because the problems are fixed", I'd be willing to bet that many are sold unfixed because the owner just wanted out from under it. I read that many, many times on forums for many manufacturers when we were doing pre-purchase research.

Sometimes you just need to cut your perceived losses for your own mental sanity. That's the owner's decision, not ours.

Ray
Old 07-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnski10 View Post
Firstly not my first coach., last coach we had for 14 years and yes like all coaches it had its problems.
But when you spend the kind of money that we did on this some things should have been caught well before it left the factory.
Had we have been given the opportunity to drive this coach before purchase , I would not have purchased it. I also knew and told my wife of forestriver subpar fit and finish, but she fell in love with the shiny stainless steel appliances.
But the suspension issue is reprehensible.
Didn't realize that this was not your first RV, my apologies for treating you as a newbie.
I guess that I was really lucky in my 2017 GT5 purchase. I bought it last year after a test drive and a really informative demo from a great local dealer in Pensacola (Carpenter's Campers). It drives like a school bus, which I can honestly relate to since I have a Class B and have driven a school bus. Everything on it and in it works, but I am having a bit of an issue getting the water heater to run on propane...small issue.
I haul my box trailer wth two road bikes in it and other than being underpowered with the V10, it runs fine and handles as expected.
I don't think that I would ever buy something this expensive or complex without putting my hands on everything and taking it for a drive.

I hope that you get some satisfaction with your issues.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
21Gt7

As for the suspension, we found that forestriver used F550 chassis and had them upfitted, not f53 chassis as advertised in their brochure. Ths will be the 3 fix for the slide problem.
As for the hereabouts fan and engine noise and heat , that's poor insulation.
Dash ac ford has tried unsuccessfully.
The sun visor thing just simply a poor design as well..
They over build these rigs to wow the consumer and then deal with the blow back under warranty, and most dealers are ill equipped to properly repair the issues. Thus leaving it to the consumer to fix them or find fixes for them.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnski10
As for the suspension, we found that forestriver used F550 chassis and had them upfitted, not f53 chassis as advertised in their brochure.
Yes, you have a piece of paper from Ford that says F550. it's posted in your other thread.

I posted a link from 20 years ago on your other thread that shows Ford has been using that F550 form for the F53 since at least then. Brian Clemens also did that.

The folks from FR decoded your VIN and showed that the VIN says it's an "incomplete vehicle" and was not built in Ohio or Kentucky where the F550 is built.

You posted a copy of your VIN here: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2738207

1F66F5DN8L0A17471

The NHTSA VIN Decoder shows it is a Detroit Chassis LLC chassis, the manufacturer of the F-53: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/

Pic of results attached showing the NHTSA thinks it's an incomplete motorhome chassis and not an F550.

Ford's own VIN Guide for all of their 2020 vehicles is found here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...-VIN-Guide.pdf

If the VIN showed F5G or F5H it would be an F550. But your VIN shows F5D, which is listed as a stripped motorhome chassis. Please see attached pics from the Ford 2020 VIN Guide.

Have you found the actual VIN anywhere on the chassis that proves you have an F550? I had my V10 doghouse off yesterday and saw a sticker with the VIN on the air intake. I'm sure it's engraved somewhere as well.

Yes, the vehicle's final manufacturer can change the GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR ratings if they have the engineering data to support that change. But they cannot legally change the VIN.

---------------------------------------------------

People from FR asked to contact you to discuss the issues and you said you would welcome them and you provided your phone number. Would you consider publishing the results of those discussions?

Has FR offered to bring your motorhome back to the factory in Elkhart to resolve your issues? If so, what was your response? (No, you obviously do not have to agree to doing that if you do not want to. But if you're going to now sell it, I sure as heck would. My conscience would not allow me to do otherwise.)

FR personnel may not be able to post details about your discussions without your permission but you sure as heck can, if you want to.

----------------------------------------------------

I get it. You now own a very expensive motorhome that you say cannot meet your needs. It sucks. I'm not making excuses for anyone on this. Having dissatisfied customers for whatever reason, especially a major reason, is never a good thing.

But if you have solid proof that you were sold something other than what you bought, such as the VIN off the chassis itself or proof of an altered VIN, you should be contacting an attorney if FR did not agree to take back the improperly-built and misrepresented vehicle instead of writing about it here.

Why? Because posting statements claiming you have a different chassis than you were sold could come across as libel and/or tortious interference with a business relationship if the statements are not facts and your statements cause even one person to change their mind about a purchase. Tread lightly.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VIN.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	276014   Click image for larger version

Name:	F53.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	276016   Click image for larger version

Name:	F550.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	276017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Different GVWR.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	276018  
Old 07-06-2022, 01:27 PM   #10

Ok. So take the time and fix the issues. I know you shouldn’t have to but………
Insulating the doghouse is easy! Is the dash air blowing cold? If not maybe it never got fully charged? Otherwise you will have to run the house ACs as well.
The noise again can be minimized with insulation/sound deadener.
The handling, well that one has been an issue in the industry for…forever!
As for the slide, we’ll have it fixed.

If you think you are going to find a better product at another manufacturer then you aren’t going to be happy. Thor is the worst and Fleetwood isn’t any better than Forest River.

You are just going to have to work with what you have!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:39 PM   #11
21Gt7

Sticker

Ford pro care has also concluded this is a stripped F550 chassis upfitted , this is the chassis sticker showing F550 that was in our documents. Clearly not F53 so who should I believe.
Forestriver tries, but alas now I have a 4 page list of issues and our fleet center won't touch the suspension issue.

Guess it will remain parked and be a great big shiny paperweight at the end of my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220624_160624.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	276025  
Old 07-06-2022, 01:46 PM   #12
21Gt7

Sticker

Ford pro care has also concluded this is a stripped F550 chassis upfitted , this is the chassis sticker showing F550 that was in our documents. Clearly not F53 so who should I believe.
Forestriver tries, but alas now I have a 4 page list of issues and our fleet center won't touch the suspension issue.

Guess it will remain parked and be a great big shiny paperweight at the end of my driveway.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
Fla5er

NXR: Your post is the best I've seen in a long time. Your time and effort is to be commended for helping a fellow rv'er. It's posts like that, that make it worthwhile subscribing. Thank you for your careful consideration for helping one another.

Turnski10:

My wife and I can certainly relate to your epic fail.

We also had an epic fail when we bought our new 2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. We, like you had multiple issues with our class A including failing slide out motors, front wheel bearings (at 5,000 miles), the toilet not properly located prompting a re-configuration of the adjoining wall, interior wall separation from the outside wall, plumbing leaks galore and so on.. We named it the Holiday Ruiner because we too were afraid of taking any trips due to the frequency and nature of the defects/failures. We wrote some letters to H/R about these failures and lack of quality. The result was an added year of bumper to bumper warranty, to which some one was assigned to our case. He was very mindful of our situation and did his best to get us serviced while on the road when we needed it.
In reference to your handling issues, a friend of ours had a real issue with their handling; turns out that the alignment was so far off, that he could barely keep it under control, so get that checked out. We resolved most of our dog box noise by installing a couple of latches which made the dog box sit on top of the access hole more firm: we could then talk to each other rather than shout but at an elevated level.

We were so disgusted with the Vacationer that we decided to fix everything and sell it and went back to a fifth wheel. We spent a tremendous amount of money: from a down payment, to repairs, buying a flat towable vehicle, tow bars and absorbed a lot of depreciation on that class a. We were so disappointed in the quality, especially when we thought Holiday Rambler was a good brand, even after talking to H/R owners and how pleased they were with theirs.
We wish you the best of luck!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:28 AM   #14
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Lots of excuses for why the rv's are problematic now . None of them are good excuses . Time people started demanding a product that matches the high price paid . So either you refuse to buy or you deal with it and do your best to turn that sows ear into a silk purse . most Rv's today are pigs with lipstick . couldn't help my self
you should be able to drive and eat or sing without fear and you should not have to spend thousands to get the ride and control that is comfortable .
I agree !

But if someone is about to purchase a RV, they should have already know that. IMO, there is no such thing as Quality Control, as you can't control something that doesn't exist. At least in the case of most RV's. I'm hoping for a better experience with our ordered Dyanamax.

Last time we bought a trouble free RV was a 2006 Jayco 5th wheel. Since then the last couple have pretty much been studies in poor workmanship and "I don't give a damn about the customer" attitudes.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #15
21Gt7

Yeah, first trip out, kitchen slide would not come back in, then we had to spend the night in our friends coach because the propane line to the furnace was left loose and filled the coach with propane.
HD to unkink the line to the stove to get it to work.
Had this coach been properly PDIed some of these items would have been caught before delivery
But the dealer did not PDI the coach, let alone even detail it properly before delivery.
The service manager will not use the phone he only emails ,and does not do walk around at drop off .
It's been our worst nightmare.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #16
Bluegrass Picker

Right there with you

Handling on our 2014 FR3 30DS was dangerously bad - seriously, this thing should have been illegal on the road. But, I installed a steering stabilizer, rear axle stabilizer, and tightened the steering box adjustment (slightly), and had an alignment. Now drives MUCH better, and I can safely drink a cup of coffee while driving (before, no way).

Add to those handling issues the fact that the OEM headlights were so poor that I once had to unhook the toad and let my wife lead me to the campground when caught after dark. FR sent me replacement headlights (much better, though not free).

Noise is a big issue, but I’ve insulated with high-tech stuff and improved that. Was measuring 80dB at 1000 RPM in the cockpit (not rolling); now at 50dB but still need to measure at highway speeds. Hopeful.

Replaced both main and bedroom slide gearboxes already due to failures. These have now been redesigned to steel bushings in the diecast bodies, so hopefully they’ll last longer.

Auto steps stopped working, and I had to replace the motor. No biggie.

Windshield delaminated, just out of warranty, and I had to have it replaced.

A bad valve prevented our dash AC from blowing cold, so I replaced that valve and it’ll freeze us now.

All “leather” (sprayed) upholstery has come apart, so I had it recovered with marine vinyl.

Bottom line: I am disgusted with initial quality where safety is at stake (and that’s across all manufacturers), as well as some of the materials selected but I was committed to RVing and researched solutions that I could implement myself. It’s like being out at sea - or on Apollo 13 sometimes, when a failure happens on the road. This forum has helped inform me immensely (thank you), and FR has provided every diagram/drawing I have requested for the various fixes I had to implement (some were incorrect, but they gave me useful clues).

I’m sorry to say that you will not find a well-built RV and if you aren’t willing/able to improve it (read: finish the job started by the manufacturer), you might have to give up RVing. I’ve almost gone back to a tent several times over the past 16 years (this FR3 was my 4th RV). If you decide to tackle these problems, I’ll be glad to tell you what hardware worked for me.
MrMando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:09 PM   #17
21Gt7

Not our first. Just came out of 2000 fleetwood southwind 36t 14 yrs..

Tags