Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2023, 01:56 PM   #1

'22 GT5 delivered new with no rear roof ladder; warranty almost up. Should I get one?

Bought a '22 GT5 just under a year ago. It was delivered with no rear roof ladder. The salesman said that he was seeing that more often, likely due to a (Covid) supply issue. I said that I didn't really care; I wasn't going to climb up there anyway, and if I did, I'd use a more substantial ladder.

Forest River did send me a ladder, though. However, it was for the bunkbed, not the rear of the rig. Hahaha. Now I've got two bunkbed ladders. Anybody want one?

Hadn't thought much about this until I was looking at one of those portable tote tanks for black/gray water. It says, "attach to your RV ladder when not in use." I thought, yeah, maybe I need one of those ladders after all. So the warranty runs out in a month. Anybody here have the same issue and had the dealer put one on? With the experience I've had so far with Camping World, I'm kinda wondering if they'll screw up the install of the ladder. Just sayin'.

Or should I just forget about it?
TwoFlags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:05 PM   #2

If the coach is spec’d with a ladder I would want the ladder.
whitexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:11 PM   #3

"Covid supply issue" is the excuse we often hear, but frankly I believe motorhome roof ladders are going away all around because of liability and cost cutting.

Dynamax seems to have done away with roof ladders long ago, Sunseeker/Forester more recently, and now apparently Georgetown, too.

I suggest locating the framing in the rear wall and determining if it is still set up for supporting a ladder. If so, I would install one. However, I wouldn't go anywhere near Camping World.

There is no mention or photo suggesting a roof ladder being included in the 2022 Georgetown brochure, and of course FR reserves the right to make changes without notice anyway. https://forestriverinc.com/brochures...wnbrochure.pdf
Old 01-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
"Covid supply issue" is the excuse we often hear, but frankly I believe motorhome roof ladders are going away all around because of liability and cost cutting.

Dynamax seems to have done away with roof ladders long ago, Sunseeker/Forester more recently, and now apparently Georgetown, too.

I suggest locating the framing in the rear wall and determining if it is still set up for supporting a ladder. If so, I would install one. However, I wouldn't go anywhere near Camping World.

There is no mention or photo suggesting a roof ladder being included in the 2022 Georgetown brochure, and of course FR reserves the right to make changes without notice anyway. https://forestriverinc.com/brochures...wnbrochure.pdf
Yeah, I, too, looked to see if they were being discontinued on GTs and haven't been able to determine definitively. Maybe I'll hear from other recent buyers who do/don't have one on theirs. In the meantime, I've contacted FR.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #5

Have not seen it written but heard that everyone did away with the ladders on all motorhomes, trailers, etc.

When we were shopping for our latest I saw zero new coaches with ladders regardless of manufacturer.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:12 PM   #6

If you look at the 2021 Georgetown brochure, you'll see a few roof ladders in the photos, but for the 2022 brochure they apparently used new photos or edited off the ladder.

2021 brochure:
https://forestriverinc.com/brochures...wnbrochure.pdf
Old 01-30-2023, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Have not seen it written but heard that everyone did away with the ladders on all motorhomes, trailers, etc.

When we were shopping for our latest I saw zero new coaches with ladders regardless of manufacturer.
Yeah, it's interesting. I've looked at a bunch of 2022 GT5s for sale online and none of them have ladders.

Guess I'll have to figure out another way to carry that black tank tote. Don't really want to put it in one of the storage bays.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #8
Commercial Member

TwoFlags,

Georgetown units no longer have rear ladders. Yes, Covid was the main reason as we could not get enough to supply the production line. I really don't see FR putting ladders back on anytime soon. Hope this helps. Safe travels
Cdefrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdefrees View Post
TwoFlags,

Georgetown units no longer have rear ladders. Yes, Covid was the main reason as we could not get enough to supply the production line. I really don't see FR putting ladders back on anytime soon. Hope this helps. Safe travels
Thanks. I just got that confirmed from a FR warranty rep who says there is no structural support for a ladder in GTs from '22 on.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:26 PM   #10

Hum my 2022 GT 7 has a ladder. My wife said I was never allowed to use it, but hey I got one lol.
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc4ut View Post
Hum my 2022 GT 7 has a ladder. My wife said I was never allowed to use it, but hey I got one lol.
If your '22 was built in mid '21 it could have been built to '21 specs even though it was designated as a 2022 model..
Old 01-30-2023, 07:49 PM   #12

Nope

Quote:
If your '22 was built in mid '21 it could have been built to '21 specs even though it was designated as a 2022 model..
Nope
Was finished being built Dec 21. Build started in July 21. Also have the curved dash which was for 2022.

Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:25 PM   #13

My 2023 Georgetown GT5 did not come with a roof ladder.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a ladder that I can store somewhere in the RV that's tall enough and not too heavy? I'm guessing one of the collapsing style. Also where would be the best place to lean the ladder on to RV to get up on the roof? I'm guessing on the side of the RV.

Thanks,
David
David-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:40 PM   #14

Amazon
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7762.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	283504
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #15

We have a 2022 GT7. They told us the ladders were an insurance issue and would not be on units anymore
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyda View Post
We have a 2022 GT7. They told us the ladders were an insurance issue and would not be on units anymore
That sounds like the same BS cost cutting for not including spare tires any more.

Answer to OP, Hell YEAH! You paid for it. After warranty, you are on your own $$$. I use mine all the time.

On a similar note, (many items were $&*^*&^ on my PDI, but specifically like this) when I went into my RV at the dealer for the first time & do a PDI, I went in and THERE WAS NO TABLE or TABLE TO BE INSTALLED. It left the factory that way, dealer said that they did a PDI and were ready for me to pick up my RV. I quickly realized everything about this atrocious "industry" - THERE IS NO QC or even Q. Lego blocks and out the door regardless of condition.

I ended up installing the table and R&R over 60 warranty items over the next 90 days. Yes, I prevailed with a Lawyer for compensation.

First, Last, and only ever. I do not know how so many keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:08 AM   #17

Quote:
TwoFlags,

You may be telling the truth, but I have trouble buying the story that covid supply issues was and is the reason roof ladders went away and won’t come back. You’ve got the chassis manufacturer supplying a fully functional chassis, all needed plumbing, lighting, electrical, upholstery, and appliance supplies (eventually) met, yet we just can’t get enough ladders, of all things?

I instead picture a meeting held with marketing, engineering, and bean counters, looking for ways to cut product cost. I picture someone suggesting removal of roof ladders and (in some cases spare tires) as good ways to cut costs without having significant impact on sales. Some buyers perhaps won’t even notice a missing ladder (or spare tire) until they’ve completed the purchase and brought the unit home.

Whatever, I luckily bought my class C before the major cost cutting round of the current decade. Had I delayed just 2 months to order, I would have given up a number of features that were taken away for 2020 model year. I don’t know about Georgetown, but features started disappearing in the Sunseeker/Forester line before COVID even hit.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:37 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
You may be telling the truth, but I have trouble buying the story that covid supply issues was and is the reason roof ladders went away and won’t come back. You’ve got the chassis manufacturer supplying a fully functional chassis, all needed plumbing, lighting, electrical, upholstery, and appliance supplies (eventually) met, yet we just can’t get enough ladders, of all things?

I instead picture a meeting held with marketing, engineering, and bean counters, looking for ways to cut product cost. I picture someone suggesting removal of roof ladders and (in some cases spare tires) as good ways to cut costs without having significant impact on sales. Some buyers perhaps won’t even notice a missing ladder (or spare tire) until they’ve completed the purchase and brought the unit home.

Whatever, I luckily bought my class C before the major cost cutting round of the current decade. Had I delayed just 2 months to order, I would have given up a number of features that were taken away for 2020 model year. I don’t know about Georgetown, but features started disappearing in the Sunseeker/Forester line before COVID even hit.
BehindBars,

Cutting costs to my knowledge was NEVER part of this! RVIA changed rear ladder regulations is also the other factor in this.... NO manufacturer has yet to make a ladder to meet said guidelines. So, that is part of the rear ladder delete as well!

As for spare tires.... to my knowledge spare tires were an option for Class C's . I can't speak if it's still an option today. Class A's never have offered a spare tire as an option in the 10 plus years in the industry. Why would we want to temp our customers to change a tire on the roadside and put them in danger? We should leave that to the professionals that have the correct tools and knowledge to change a tire on a rig of that size. Last thought.... many cars and SUV's don't even have a spare tire! That started years ago as they moved to "run flat" tires.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
BehindBars,

RVIA changed rear ladder regulations is also the other factor in this.... NO manufacturer has yet to make a ladder to meet said guidelines.
A change in RVIA regulations sounds like a valid reason to temporarily discontinue ladders. Is Forest River actively working with suppliers to obtain a newly designed ladder that meets the new regs? When might we expect ladders to reappear? It seems some customers (me for one) would be demanding a roof ladder as a feature on a new motorhome.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:55 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
A change in RVIA regulations sounds like a valid reason to temporarily discontinue ladders. Is Forest River actively working with suppliers to obtain a newly designed ladder that meets the new regs? When might we expect ladders to reappear? It seems some customers (me for one) would be demanding a roof ladder as a feature on a new motorhome.
That is a great question! I can't answer that as those conversations are way above me, sorry.

Tags
roo, roof, warranty