Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #1

2nd hydraulic line failure

While driving on our latest trip, we stopped for lunch, and when I started up, the jack pump started running. I remembered the scenario from the last event and sure enough all the fluid was on the ground under the left rear jack. This is the 2nd hose to fail on that jack. Again, the hose pulled out of the fitting but the jacks were not being used. Kind of odd, because it was the hose that is joined to the right jack which I assume is the raising side of the system.
I had a new hose made at the local NAPA store and fitted it, along with 3 qts of Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid at the next campground. Took about 1/2 hour.
Wonder which will be the next to fail?
I am thinking that this will be a winter project to replace all the JUNK hoses.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your hoses. This seems to happen a lot.
Why do you use the expensive ATF fluid. LCI says regular cheap AT fluid is all you need.
Have you been in contact with LCI about the hoses? They usually replace them when the pull out of the fittings
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Best thing you can do is replace all the hoses. Several have done it on those systems. You can get way better hoses for reasonable cost, and have a little peace of mind.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

Iggy, I'm not replacing hoses with LCI hoses because I don't want to do it over again. The system on the rig is 2750psi fiber reinforced plastic tubing, I'm replacing with 3700psi rubber steel reinforced hose. I use Mob 1 syn because thats what FR advised when I called them after the 1st hose failed.
John, the new hose is about 4.50 a foot + the ends, cheap insurance I think!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
Old 10-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

I think you'll definitely be more satisfied and have the peace of mind going that route. I know I would. I was fortunate to not have any failures on our class A motorhome, but it had a HWH system. The fifthwheel we had with the LCI system looked like it was waiting to fail. Definitely cheap hoses.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Again, the hose pulled out of the fitting but the jacks were not being used. Kind of odd, because it was the hose that is joined to the right jack which I assume is the raising side of the system.

I am thinking that this will be a winter project to replace all the JUNK hoses.

Keep in mind the system operates by keeping full pressure on both sides of the Pistons (jacks) at all times. Once the jack extends or retracts system pressure keeps it pressurized to maintain that position.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

Again makes me to never want to buy another Rv that has anything Lippert on it . This company is ripping off the entire RV industry and giving it a bad name .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Best thing you can do is replace all the hoses. Several have done it on those systems. You can get way better hoses for reasonable cost, and have a little peace of mind.
while on a cedar creek factor tour I seen a hose kinked off severely in the frame on a unit on the line. when that slide starts pushing and pulling on that line it will fail soon. when I brought it up to the Rep. his comment was they will probably catch it on final inspection.--- My thought was, that will be to late, it will be sealed in by then.
Dale Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #9

Dale, You saw one on a tour. Whats the odds that all that model are like that, because that's the way the installer put them in, and they were covered up before final inspection.
Hampton Roads VA
Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

yes; it was on one of the Cedar Creek afternoon tours during the FROG Rally. the one that I seen was the rear line on the drivers side, rear push out. workers were gone for the day they had their quota done.
Dale Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

Our CC Silverback did have a few hoses in a bind, almost kinked in the front basement area near the front left jack. I rerouted them a little as best I could, but they were a time bomb really.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #12

Where was the QA? Something I've been complaining about for a while is the lack of QA in the RV industry. It like the manufactures either don't care, a poor QA program, or its ran as an additional duty. Like Iran inspecting their own nuclear facilities program, unless these RV companies have an independant (a QA program that reports to the CEO and not just he head of productio ) program, nothing will change.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #13

I am not one that is fond of a lot of government regulations, however the entire RV industry certainly needs someone or agency overlooking construction issues that can have catastrophic consequences once these rigs hit the highway. IMHO the R.V.I.A. is a joke of an organization. With Georgetown having hot water tanks installed with out any bracing or supports and dealing with propane and electricity how the heck can earlier models of GT been certified by R.V.I.A. plus you pay for their "seal of approval"!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #14

I couldn't use the generator on my 2011 Georgetown 327DS from the first day of ownership because FR built the unit to meet RVIA requirements. The RVIA specifications for an exhaust pipe require a minimum clearance between the pipe and any horizontal surface above it. The generator exhaust on my unit was located to just meet the specifications. Unfortunately, the exhaust was exiting the unit near the middle of the street side slide out. When the generator was running, the exhaust gasses rose from the exhaust and were trapped under the slide. Eventually enough exhaust worked its way back into the RV to activate the CO alarm. I even had the same issue with the slide closed.

When I brought this to FR's attention at the next Goshen rally, they agreed to pay for the dealer to relocate the exhaust pipe so it wasn't under the slide. I've had no problems since then.

The basic problem here is that the RVIA standard for this is incomplete. I suspect that whoever wrote the standard never considered that someone would locate an exhaust pipe under the middle of a slide where vertical clearance to the pipe isn't the critical factor.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic