Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #1

342DS XL Rear TV removal???

Anyone have any ideas? I removed the obvious two screws on the front of the shelf, and the two from the bottom front of the shelf, but the darn shelf appears to be glued to the cabinet bottom.

Heeeelp!!!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #2

That's all I did. Four screws to get the bezel off. Then two screws that attached the shelf to the front of the cabinet. Then I could slide the TV out still attached to that shelf. There wasn't any glue on mine.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
That's all I did. Four screws to get the bezel off. Then two screws that attached the shelf to the front of the cabinet. Then I could slide the TV out still attached to that shelf. There wasn't any glue on mine.
Aha! I didn't take the bezel off.

I'll see if that does it, and let you know.

Thanx!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

I may not have been clear. I meant the wooden bezel around the TV not the plastic bezel that is part of the TV.

In the picture below you can see three of the four wooden bung hole covers that have screws under them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4051-cropped.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	6828  
Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #5

No. Mine is completely different. It is on a corner shelf, and has no screws on the fascia like yours does. It looks like they built the cabinet around the Television. It is a 20", 4:3 aspect ratio, Magnavox flat screen without digital capability.

If I lift the TV and squint under it, I can see some deck screws screwed through the shelf into the bottom of the set.

Even though it was something of a challenge, I was able to get the 26" Magnavox out of the can in the front and brace it to hold a 32" Vizio, but ths one has me scratching my head!

If no one else has any ideas, I'll try the Forest River folks next.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #6

I had a friend, a cabinet maker, look at this today, and he said that they kludged the television in with false panels, molding, and a "hard shelf" mounted to the kludge.

He agreed that the only way to get the P.O.S. out was to wonder bar the TV and build a new shelf for the new T.V.

Geez! I thought that I had bought in to a better iteration of Georgetown.

Apparently not, with this and the on-going Lippert crap.

Live and learn, and teach future buyers.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Whew! I finally got it out without having to remove the body from the chassis!

The television was mounted to a tray with four homemade brackets that went into the cabinet through slots chopped out of the side air vents on the T.V..

They then ran wood screws up through the bottom of the shelf in the unfinished cabinet through the tray and the plastic bottom of the T.V.!

I got it out by using a long bi-metal blade on my DeWalt All-Saw, and lifting the TV with a Wonder Bar to (barely) see the screws going into the plastic. The homemade brackets fell out when I slid the TV forward!

I'm leaving the tray in there, as I see no way of getting it out without destroying the glued and stapled cabinet and shelf.

I'm mounting an articulated mount to the back (outside) wall on a chunk of 3/4" ply screwed to the luan with a bunch of grabbers. Only installing a 19" light weight, so should be no trouble.

Again, whew! Crappy work!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #8

Wow nice work man! Crazy how they had that attached.

This is a mount that you can bolt down to your existing plate to hold a modern TV. It's made just for our sort of application. Unfortunately it's fairly expensive too. When compared with a normal mount at monoprice.com

MOR/ryde - Products - Aftermarket - TV Mounts
Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #9

Moochas, but I had already bought a boatload of good rear mounts for friends, etc. Gonna use one of them. The "Plate would'a worked, but the Vizio I'm using has a shi**y vertical resolution. Looked good standing up; dark laying down.

Whadda you gonna do.

Also, Forest River used "twist-on" RG-59 connectors on RG-6 Coax for jumpers, and the wrong RG-6 compression fittings on the house cable.

Makes me wonder about other stuff, and my old Georgetown was so nice!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #10

Wow, way to go Forest River. 50ohm 75ohm, what's the difference eh?

I'm not at all impressed with the build quality of my Georgetown. But it was very inexpensive and it's my baby.

I'm also not impressed by number of issues I see posted here about the crazy mistakes the factory has made. Maybe all motorhomes are the same, I don't know. This is my first one.

Anyway it would be great to see pictures of your new mount when you get it done. Especially some behind the scenes pictures of how you built the mount. Lots of people here want to try the same thing and aren't sure how to do it.