Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #1

378 XL hydraulic pump motor.

This started out as a REALLY long post about losing the bolts out of the hydraulic pump motor. After reading it, it seemed rather a bit much. So, here's the short version.
While heading to Moab to wheel our new Toad, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for the night. Went to extend the jacks and no joy. Seems that one of the bolts holding the pump motor to the pump had worked its way loose and fell out, the other bolt was right behind. The motor was hanging at about a 30-degree angle, so it was pretty obvious what had happened. Fortunately, the coupler was still inside the hydraulic unit. I rummaged around my box of hardware, fingers crossed, and found that the bolts are just a standard 1/4 20X1 1/2 socket head, which I actually had. Hardest part was getting the coupler lined up with the pump and the motor. Put a little marine grease to make me feel better, (had plenty already) new bolts with lock washers, tightened it up, and done. Tested it, worked like new!
I had never messed with the motor or pump before, so I guess it will now go on the "annual" maintenance program for inspection.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
This started out as a REALLY long post about losing the bolts out of the hydraulic pump motor. After reading it, it seemed rather a bit much. So, here's the short version.
While heading to Moab to wheel our new Toad, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for the night. Went to extend the jacks and no joy. Seems that one of the bolts holding the pump motor to the pump had worked its way loose and fell out, the other bolt was right behind. The motor was hanging at about a 30-degree angle, so it was pretty obvious what had happened. Fortunately, the coupler was still inside the hydraulic unit. I rummaged around my box of hardware, fingers crossed, and found that the bolts are just a standard 1/4 20X1 1/2 socket head, which I actually had. Hardest part was getting the coupler lined up with the pump and the motor. Put a little marine grease to make me feel better, (had plenty already) new bolts with lock washers, tightened it up, and done. Tested it, worked like new!
I had never messed with the motor or pump before, so I guess it will now go on the "annual" maintenance program for inspection.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Will have to check mine on a regular basis now as well.

Tags
hydraulic, motor, pump