Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Question 378ts Inverter wiring for GFCI and Fridge

I am very new to RV'ing - just got a new 2019 Georgetown XL 378TS a few weeks ago, I did a post in another thread about schematics and such which seems to be rather scarce on any detail. I have not found anything related to how the inverters are wired in.

The coach has GFCI outlets, with the main one in the bathroom - it has a breaker in the coach breaker panel. The full size fridge also has a breaker in the panel, they operate independently and work just fine on shore power.
I could have swore that both the GFCI outlets and fridge worked on house batteries with inverter on, but now all the sudden, the GFCI outlets do not. (Fridge is fine)

I dug around for a couple of hours, the inverter, is above the propane tank, it's GFCI outlet is not tripped, when on inverter, if I unplug this the fridge goes dark. There is a small black transfer switch right next to this inverter, on the ONLY wire plugged in to the inverter outlet.

So now I am wondering about the GFCI outlets, I am missunderstanding how they should work?

since i havent found any relevant drawings,so I made this one - it may not be correct (and i am using visio so it is a bit funny), i dont know if N is actually switched on the small transfer switch, and I dont know the actual X/Y alternation on the coach breakers - but the drawing is how it behaves now.

It is so darn tricky to get in behind panels and cubby holes, so it is so hard to trace and troubleshoot - i found two large-gage wires and breakers off he battery center, one goes to the inverter, I havent found where the other goes yet.

any hints would be great
stokkeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

just read my own post and it came out rather fuzzy.. here are some specific questions for anyone who might know:

* am i correct in assuming the GFCI Outlets are/should be connected to inverter?
* and if so, is there a separate transfer switch somewhere?
* .. or separate inverter would seem crazy? (since there is only one 5-15 plugged in to the inverter i found, and it goes straight to the little transfer switch, from there i have not been able to trace, very tight and hard to find
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

If it is wired like my 2014 378, only the fridge runs off the inverter. The other GFCI's will work on shore or gen power only.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #4

i don't have your georgetown so i cannot state with certainty. but your diagram is very complete. i very much doubt that your gfci outlets operate off the inverter. the key is that you have two breakers in you distribution panel. one for the refrigerator circuit and one for the gfci circuit. your inverter and the small transfer switch next to it only switch one circuit (the refrigerator) between the distribution panel and the inverter. to connect your gfci's to the inverter you would need a second small transfer switch.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
If it is wired like my 2014 378, only the fridge runs off the inverter. The other GFCI's will work on shore or gen power only.

On my 2018 369xl that is the case as well... Not sure why they did not include the outlets especially when there is one next to the passenger seat. To use it while driving the generator needs to run.
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

On our 2018 co 378 only the fridge is connected to the inverter via transfer switch. So when I wanted more 120 circuits I added a second inverter and transfer switch and connected it to the entertainment circuit. Now I have power while going down the road or at a rest area without firing up the generator
Old 06-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

Okay thank you everyone - i am guessing I was mistaken about the GFCI being on an inverter and my mind had just played a trick on me there.. I will also be installing another inverter down the road I am guessing, and use a little transfer switch to connect it into one of the existing circuits.

so I guess my diagram, although details are wrong, it is conceptually pretty close on how it is from factory
Old 06-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #8

The threads are correct the GFCI outlets are not on the inverter, only the fridge.
Typically the fridge only utilizes about 240watts of the 1000w inverter but when the fridge goes into the defrost mode and heats the doors etc. the fridge will utilize about 600-700watts. The other post that indicated the two circuits is also correct in that the inverter can only be fed by one supply (breaker). I have a 2013 378TS and followed through the same with my wiring diagram to determine the schematic. BTW nice job on the schematic!
Sharpshooterspb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #9

On the second inverter that is what I did was added a lifpo4 battery bank to a separate inverter. This inverter has a charger built in for the batteries and is also an active inverter so it senses under voltage and overvoltage and runs off the battery in either case it maintains a steady 110v output no matter what the input voltage is so it doesn't need a transfer switch.
I can post make and model if interested.
Sharpshooterspb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #10

ah yes that be great thank you - can never have to much info.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #11

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokkeland View Post

I dug around for a couple of hours, the inverter, is above the propane tank, it's GFCI outlet is not tripped, when on inverter, if I unplug this the fridge goes dark. ...

My rememberence in our own XL was that only the FRIDGE outlet was powered thru the INVERTER.

Now, while the Inverter's outlet itself is a 'GFCI' type, that is because the Inverter may be mounted in a place where water or moisture could intrude, so the manufacturer makes sure that this one outlet is protected, but that has nothing to do with your RV's own GFCI outlets. They are likely only powered when on the Generator, or when on Shore Power, both thru the Automatic Transfer Switch to your Main Panel.

While there is a transfer switch next to the Inverter, that is for the transfer, or pass thru of 120v power, from the Gen or Shore power to the Fridge, so that it has power no matter which of the three power sources are available.

Enjoy!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378ts, fridge, inverter, wiring