Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #1

378xl broken electric step

The center bolt in my tripple electric steps broke today just as I arrived here in Piegon Forge today. I have a small local dealer in WV trying to get the repair kit for the recall for several months but lippert has not sent the kit. They have called three times and keep getting told the kit will be sent but it never arrives. Im not sure the kit includes a new center bolt anyway. Looks like the nut for my broken bolt is welded on the top as i can reach up and feel it still there ( not sure have not removed steps yet) so I have the steps propped with a wooden block for this week and will have to use the bungie cord to tie up to get home next saturday. Does anyone know the part number for the center bolt and where I could order so it will be waiting for me when I return home? I have a few tools with me but the step assembly looks pretty heavy and Id probably do better at home with a jack rather than taking chance it will fall on me trying to take off here. Really no need to attempt before I can get replacement bolt anyway. Anyone who has previously had this problem and could provide supplier info and part number would be appreciated. Also looks like lippert now sells a kwickee replacement tripple step. However there is several different series ie series 23 , 25 ect. Does anyone know which one replaces the steps for a 2013 378? This will be my backup plan if the bolt replacement turns into a nightmare. Anyone know which kwickee part number is a fit for the 378?
Old 08-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Make f r replace with keewee steps as it is a recall

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

I have had to replace my steps three times. On my third set of steps.
They are very very heavy and requires 2 people to remove or a floor jack.
I was fortunate to have Lippert pay to have them replaced with Kwikee steps before the official recall. Now they are just fixing their steps with the kit. To add the kit the steps will need to be removed and the bolt ground off, new bolt and bracket installed. I hear Lippert is only working through repair facilities.
Lippert bought out Kwikee manufacturer last year.
Mine were the series 23 steps and I have a 2013 378 also. They are very expensive, like 1150 regular price but camping world sometimes sells them for 600.

Tags
378xl, electric