Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #1

5 cent LED Dimmer

We’ve had our 30x3 a little over a year. We’ve hated how bright the overhead lights are. I finally got around to buying a dimmer switch to install before we head out next week for a couple month tour.

It didn’t work because you need to corral the negative lead to the train of lights and another pair of hot leads to work it. I had the latter worked out by running a wire from the the tap light over the sink but then figured out I needed the former and had no idea how to find it much less route it. So its headed back to Amazon.

So I thought maybe there were multiple bulbs in each light and I could just remove some. Checking revealed there were indeed multiple LEDs in each light...like 10+...but all on the same fixture.

Then the most famous RV truth hit me: “If it doesn’t move and it should, WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, duct tape.” I realized I could extend the latter to, “If it makes light and it shouldn’t...”. So I put duct tape over half the LEDs in each light. Full test will be tonight but if it isn’t dimmed enough I can add another 3 cents worth of duct tape.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #2

That's my kind of solution.
Other people have put coffee filters over fixtures to dim the lights.
Or cut out LightDims to cut down the light. https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Dim...5156623&sr=8-9
Old 03-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #3

yes you can block the light with tape, but that might make the LED pieces overheat and burn out... they do get warm...

I would purchase a roll of that amber or red transparent tape that you can use to fix automotive lamps... put some of the colored tape over... create an air layer... and put another layer to dim further

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
yes you can block the light with tape, but that might make the LED pieces overheat and burn out... they do get warm...

I would purchase a roll of that amber or red transparent tape that you can use to fix automotive lamps... put some of the colored tape over... create an air layer... and put another layer to dim further
If they burn out that’s ideal. LEDs do not generate much heat. We’ll see.

Just did night test. AWESOME!
Old 03-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #5

Not much heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
If they burn out that’s ideal. LEDs do not generate much heat. We’ll see.

Just did night test. AWESOME!
LEDs do not generate much heat but the series current-limiting resistors in LED replacements for incandescents sure do. More power is dissipated in the resistors than in the LEDs. Have you ever seen the "corncob" LEDs with 48 or 64 chips? They will get hot enough to damage plastic parts in light fixtures.

If your LED fixtures use chips to limit the current, you won't see this.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
LEDs do not generate much heat but the series current-limiting resistors in LED replacements for incandescents sure do. More power is dissipated in the resistors than in the LEDs. Have you ever seen the "corncob" LEDs with 48 or 64 chips? They will get hot enough to damage plastic parts in light fixtures.

If your LED fixtures use chips to limit the current, you won't see this.
These are OEM LED lights on 12 v circuit. There are about 10 in the main coach circuit controlled by one switch. I presume wired in parallel up in the ceiling.

They do not get warm.

The look of them surprised me. They look like a circuit board with more than a dozen little LEDs.

Another solution would be to just remove half the boards so only half of them light...which would also be about what is needed.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #7

All your overhead lights should be in parallel and with that configuration a dimmer could be inserted in series with the power (light switch wires removed and attached to the dimmer) and a separate chassis ground wire ran or spliced nearby to the dimmer. The dimmer goes from full bright to off with 7 amp capability. That's one kind of dimmer.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #8

There needs to be a like button!
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #9

Aw come on guys, they are 12vDC. How far down can you turn the voltage? Rheostat? I used to do this on RR tracks and aurora ho cars. Would it work on leds? WHat would control the LED intensity? I know someone I could ask. BRB

What about this?
https://www.amazon.com/Dimmer-Switch...a-849440818936

Old 03-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #10

No ground is needed with this dimmer. I installed it on our 2019 FR3 at the light switch. I did use duct tape before though!https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Neilthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

I used same dimmer Neil. Works great. Makes lights flicker when I am putting awning in or out though.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Aw come on guys, they are 12vDC. How far down can you turn the voltage? Rheostat? I used to do this on RR tracks and aurora ho cars. Would it work on leds? WHat would control the LED intensity? I know someone I could ask. BRB

What about this?

LED lights dim better with a PWM controlled dimmer. Pulse width modulation.
Works better than a rheostat which will cause a flicker at lower voltage.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #13

Rheostat.......
Old 03-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #14

OK, pwm, WHAT OTHERS ARE OUT THERE?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
We’ve had our 30x3 a little over a year. We’ve hated how bright the overhead lights are. I finally got around to buying a dimmer switch to install before we head out next week for a couple month tour.

It didn’t work because you need to corral the negative lead to the train of lights and another pair of hot leads to work it. I had the latter worked out by running a wire from the the tap light over the sink but then figured out I needed the former and had no idea how to find it much less route it. So its headed back to Amazon.

So I thought maybe there were multiple bulbs in each light and I could just remove some. Checking revealed there were indeed multiple LEDs in each light...like 10+...but all on the same fixture.

Then the most famous RV truth hit me: “If it doesn’t move and it should, WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, duct tape.” I realized I could extend the latter to, “If it makes light and it shouldn’t...”. So I put duct tape over half the LEDs in each light. Full test will be tonight but if it isn’t dimmed enough I can add another 3 cents worth of duct tape.

Wha tis your plan when you need more light?
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I used same dimmer Neil. Works great. Makes lights flicker when I am putting awning in or out though.
I haven't noticed any flicker on mine, I wonder if it happens at just low settings or all settings.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post

What about this?

That one wouldn't work on my install, I only had 1 wire going through the switch.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Wha tis your plan when you need more light?
There are additional bright lights over the couch, table, and sink.

Plus put in a couple of motion activated usb charged lights above sink and stove. They can be turned on, off, or motion activated. We liked them in house so got a couple more for RV. They worked out great also in last week’s trial.

Tags
led