Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

A little assistance on Cable TV Wiring

Had the bright idea of putting our DVR satellite box in the cabinet above the fireplace in our 378 (2011 model). After hours of frustration I ran a cable direct to the receiver, it worked fine. Found that I could connect to the cable TV inlet in the cord storage compartment, disconnect the cable TV wire for the multi function box in the passenger overhead and jump directly from that to the satellite box and get a good signal.

After a while it dawned on me that the TV Out cable off the multi function switch supplies both the front and rear TV and MUST have a splitter in it. Having some experience in this I also know that a low bandwidth splitter will filter out (or choke off) the satellite signal but pass an over the air TV signal.

Now the question is, does anyone know where this splitter is located so I can replace it with a satellite compliant one. I want to put our other satellite box in the overhead by the rear TV and have a "whole house" set up so I can view shows separate from the front TV but also view shows that are recorded on the DVR in front.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

Add diplexers to permit dual use of outside CATV jack
Please see the following sketch for adding diplexers to allow using the CATV
cable for both Sat TV and CATV.
For further information talk to someone at Radio Shack or do a search
on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails Note The left duplexer is mounted in the rear storage and
the right in the cupboard above above the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diplexer.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	9652  
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

From original post "Now the question is, does anyone know where this splitter is located so I can replace it with a satellite compliant one"

Now the answer, not sure, but most of the campers I have worked on the splitter in a cabinet or wall, near the main Television. Take the wall pate off, and start fishing.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

Hi ! windrider

I know what the original ?? was. But if you give
some thought to the diplexers you
may avoid having to rewire the existing
splitters & associated cabling.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #5

On my 2011 300FWS, there is a three way splitter behind an access panel which is behind the front LCD TV. I believe this splitter sends output to the Front and Back TV's, and to the TV outlet in the passenger side outside storage compartment.
Hope this helps!
leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses, diplexers would actually create more wiring when the change of one splitter which would do the job. Even if I did use them a signal in the range of the satellite signal would be blocked by the existing splitter and it needs to be replaced in either application. I will start digging in the cabinet where the ab switch is.

Note that the 378TS has the 42" tv mounted over the fireplace and it is free standing. The wiring goes through a wiring loom into the slide and up into the chassis. Runing a wire from the diplexer to the DVR is not possible, the DVR is in the cabinet under the TV.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

Hi ! JimF

I to have a 378 and use diplexers (sat tv in both front and bedroom), however FR has a tendency to wire their units in variety of ways. I have attached a TV wiring diagram I obtained from FR. Although it does not provide locations for the individual components it may help you.
Attchment:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV Wiring.pdf (1.50 MB, 301 views)
Old 12-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I don't know if my experience will help you or not, but I was able to hook up my Dish receiver by doing the following: I finally got it to work, but not as easy as I first thought. I didn't want to climb up on top of the unit to expose the satellite connection, but wanted to use the input connection in the power bay. After several tests and hunting out connections in the TV cabinet, I finally found where the lead comes in from that bay. There are three coax cables that are attached to the back of the antenna boost plate. One is an out to the splitter to allow all of the TV connections to receive a signal from the onboard antenna. Another one is the signal in from the antenna that is being boosted. The third one (the lower black one on the left side) is the input from the bay. I ended up disconnecting this coax cable, hooking it to an A/B switch and reconnecting one output to the prior connection and the other to the satellite receiver. I then connected the receiver to the TV by using the three "stereo plugs" labeled AUX. I then chose Video input on the TV, and selected AUX on the Smart Box, and success. I can now easily switch from my portable satellite external dish to the antenna input by just choosing the input on the remote. The only thing I had to make a note about was if I happen to hook up to a cable TV input, I will need to move the A/B switch to the opposite side. After all this, it probably would have been easier to put a satellite dish on the roof, but a lot more expensive. Good for now.
I have attached a picture of the back of the power boost switch. Hope this might help.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2123329742.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	9662

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #9

Thanks all, appreciate the imput from everone. This will wait a few day, Have A Merry CHRISTMAS !!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #10

One last thought, and many thanks for the FR TV wiring schematic and the routing of cables using diplexers. After review of the wiring diagrams it is apparent that they are all based on old technology. I had a Coax in Coax out on our old satellite box but we have upgraded to the latest and greatest satellite connectivity and our satellite box is coax in and HDMI out. Putting the box in the overhead leaves me with no way to connect unless I run an HDMI cable from the overhead to the slide, no easy task. This all makes me wish we had kept the old satellite box, we wouldn't be having this conversation now.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #11

Hi ! Jimf

Just a note my sat rec does not have cox out either

However FR provided L/R/V cabling to the Front tv.

Have a good one !

Gary
Old 12-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #12

Jim F: In response to your original post, I found the splitter in my '09 378 behind the storage compartment above the passenger seat where the crappy A/V unit is. There is a wall plate with some A/V cables coming through it in that compartment. I removed the wall plate and cut a hole large enough to get my hand through and found it. I installed a Winegard coax switchbox with 3 outputs in it's place. Any other questions, let me know.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #13

Hi Jim F: I've had a chance to read all the posts on this thread and thought I would expand on my previous post. I looked at the TV wiring diagram provided by mbtelguy. The setup on my '09 is slightly different. I didn't have the Movie Vision selector box in mine. The rest of the wiring is similar. I'd still be willing to bet you're splitter is located behind the antenna booster plate somewhere. You could check with FR to make sure though.

It sounds as though you have an HD DVR since you have an HDMI output. You didn't mention whether you have an HD dish or if you even wanted to watch Hi Def programming in your MH. If your wanting to watch HD, you'll probably have to locate your DVR by the TV and connect via an HDMI cable. If you're OK with standard def, you can locate your DVR in the overhead compartment even though it doen't have an RF output. Just buy an RF modulator (Radio Shack) and connect it to the composite video out jack of your DVR (I'm pretty sure it has one) and the RF output of the modulator to the coax going to your TV tuned to channel 3.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #14

Got it, finally. I eliminated the switch box and replaced it with a dimplexer (one side from satelite in the other from TV antenna booster in), put a high gain splitter on the tv coax under the TV in the slide and in the bedroom. Connected a Sat Box to each splitter and the sat box to the TV via hdmi, the outher side out of the splitter goes to the TV to supply over the air antenna. Works like a charm, have over the air tv or satellite by just switching imput on the TV. Leave the Sat Box on and can record programs while watching TV on over the air antenna.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #15

Photos would be nice when you can, I have a 360, 2011 mdl and all my cables and switch box are located in over head on passenger side, above dash. My problem is my main tv is located at end of kitchen counter, next to 1/2 bath. I am still trying to figure how to access rear tv for second sat box. What a cluster!.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Got it, finally. I eliminated the switch box and replaced it with a dimplexer (one side from satelite in the other from TV antenna booster in), put a high gain splitter on the tv coax under the TV in the slide and in the bedroom. Connected a Sat Box to each splitter and the sat box to the TV via hdmi, the outher side out of the splitter goes to the TV to supply over the air antenna. Works like a charm, have over the air tv or satellite by just switching imput on the TV. Leave the Sat Box on and can record programs while watching TV on over the air antenna.
Jim, hello, I am starting the process to do the same thing you did in my 378. I want to put an HD DVR in the cabinet below the TV to allow me to connect with HDMI and a standard sat. reciever in the b-room. I was going to run a single wire from the sat. into the cabinet below the the TV from under the slide and use a splitter in the cabinet to connect two wires to the DVR. Should I run a third cable up to the pass side overhead to connect to the sat. in on the switch box to allow a sat. signal to get to the rear tv? I will just use the HDMI in on the TV to get a signal there. does this make sense to you?? In my limited experience at RV parks it appears that it is better to keep the sat out in front of the RV near the street for a clear view of the sky. so I will not be using the input box in the power cabinet in the rear of the RV. how do you connect your portable sat to the rv? Do you use the cable jack in the power cable storage bin?
Thanks
Ray

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote