Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

? About Dash mounted 12v power outlet on 280ds

I recently installed two usb charge ports in the dash on our 2012 Georgetown 280ds and I grabbed the 12v power for them from the wire going to the cigarette lighter style port that came with it from the factory but to my surprise that factory power outlet has a constant supply of power.. I had never used that power outlet and just assumed it was only powered on with the ignition but that’s not the case..

Does anyone know if these Motorhomes, like many cars have a slot in the fuse box where you can move the fuse for the power outlet over so that is keyed to the ignition vs being on all the time? I tried looking in the fuse panel under the dash but it doesn’t have a diagram telling what fuses do what. If not I’ll simply install a dash mounted switch to kill the power to the outlets when the coach is shut off so if something is left plugged in it won’t draw the battery down.
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards79 View Post
I recently installed two usb charge ports in the dash on our 2012 Georgetown 280ds and I grabbed the 12v power for them from the wire going to the cigarette lighter style port that came with it from the factory but to my surprise that factory power outlet has a constant supply of power.. I had never used that power outlet and just assumed it was only powered on with the ignition but that’s not the case..

Does anyone know if these Motorhomes, like many cars have a slot in the fuse box where you can move the fuse for the power outlet over so that is keyed to the ignition vs being on all the time? I tried looking in the fuse panel under the dash but it doesn’t have a diagram telling what fuses do what. If not I’ll simply install a dash mounted switch to kill the power to the outlets when the coach is shut off so if something is left plugged in it won’t draw the battery down.
I have not looked on mine but there should be one labeled "ignition" that should do what you want.
Or tap of the power going to the radio, before the fuse.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I have not looked on mine but there should be one labeled "ignition" that should do what you want.
Or tap of the power going to the radio, before the fuse.

That’s a good idea about the radio never thought about that, if I can’t just flip a fuse in the box I’ll dig through the rats nest of wire and find the ignition power source for the radio! Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
That’s a good idea about the radio never thought about that, if I can’t find just flip ghetto fuse in the box I’ll dig through the rats nest of wire and find the ignition power source for the radio! Thanks.
I would like to add, that if you tap into the radio wire after its fuse make sure your new outlet doesn't draw too many amps. If you do then you may want to tap into the radios power before its fuse in the fuse box.
You can buy fuse taps that plug into the fuse box before the fuse.
Amazon sells them
Old 05-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #5

It will not draw down the battery unless something is plugged into it. Just install your new plugs with their own inline fuses tapped off the existing socket..
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
I would like to add, that if you tap into the radio wire after its fuse make sure your new outlet doesn't draw too many amps. If you do then you may want to tap into the radios power before its fuse in the fuse box.
You can buy fuse taps that plug into the fuse box before the fuse.
Amazon sells them

I have some fuse taps but I was trying to avoid laying under the steering wheel for a prolonged amount of time, I had a had enough time sliding under there to try and access and read the fuse panel. Lol. The usb outlets I installed have there own small tube style inline fuse already so I should be good and they don’t put out much power.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It will not draw down the battery unless something is plugged into it. Just install your new plugs with their own inline fuses tapped off the existing socket..

Well between my wife and 10yr old son there’s a good chance someone would leave something plugged into them lol and even though small and I’m sure they don’t draw much power the ones I installed are backlit with a green led light that’s constantly on no matter if something is plugged into them or not. (I wasn’t aware of them being backlit when I ordered them) I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt the battery for the short time it sits during the summer but if I have to park it for any length of time over the winter I’d like to have them shut off just to be safe.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

That make the job easier. What I do in a situation like yours is I take a picture of the fuse box on my phone. I also bought a small flexible camera that is 10 long to look behind panels in the RV and home. Really comes in handy and they're only 15 bucks.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
That make the job easier. What I do in a situation like yours is I take a picture of the fuse box on my phone. I also bought a small flexible camera that is 10 long to look behind panels in the RV and home. Really comes in handy and they're only 15 bucks.

YES! My wife bought me one of those flexible cameras a few yrs back for my birthday or Father’s Day and at first I was wondering what I’d ever use the thing for but now I use it for everything! Either around the house, Motorhome or workin on the cars, it’s great! And yes I take pics of just about everything with my phone before I take something apart!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Well between my wife and 10yr old son there’s a good chance someone would leave something plugged into them lol and even though small and I’m sure they don’t draw much power the ones I installed are backlit with a green led light that’s constantly on no matter if something is plugged into them or not. (I wasn’t aware of them being backlit when I ordered them) I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt the battery for the short time it sits during the summer but if I have to park it for any length of time over the winter I’d like to have them shut off just to be safe.
In that case I'm not sure where the wire originates but I believe my Georgetown (accessory/cigarette) socket has an inline fuse a short distance from the socket.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #11

Quote:
In that case I'm not sure where the wire originates but I believe my Georgetown (accessory/cigarette) socket has an inline fuse a short distance from the socket.

Ok, thanks. I’ll look again tonight but I didn’t see a in-line fuse back there but there is a good possibility it was in the rats nest of wires behind the radio, I don’t know how anyone could tell what wires go to what when they build the things! I mean there is literally a bundle of wires that would fit in a 5 gal bucket and I didn’t see a single label on any of them.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #12

Another possibility at the under dash fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	171282  
Old 05-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Another possibility at the under dash fuse panel.

Awesome thank you!
Old 05-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #14

I ran a new dedicated 12Vdc power source to power a new front LED light via a relay and dash switch off engine battery. Not difficult if you have any minor electrical know how. The "firewall" is apx 1/8" steel plate. You can find existing paths or drill a new small hole. I put in conduit requiring a 3/8" hole.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #15

I did the same thing except I installed a regular duplex adapter under the dash with two USB charging ports. It is supplied by my 1000 watt inverter. Never had a problem.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I ran a new dedicated 12Vdc power source to power a new front LED light via a relay and dash switch off engine battery. Not difficult if you have any minor electrical know how. The "firewall" is apx 1/8" steel plate. You can find existing paths or drill a new small hole. I put in conduit requiring a 3/8" hole.

Yep after looking at it again last night and finding out the wife wants a 120v outlet installed on her side of the dash for her laptop I’m going to install a separate 12v fuse block under the hood for the usb and other 12v accessories like the gps and tpms system and I also have a small pure sine inverter that I’m going to install for her laptop. Neat wiring is a pet peeve of mine so atleast this way I know it’s done right and I can clean a litttle but of the factory wiring up also.

While looking at it last night I found about 4 different kinds of wire connectors used on the radio alone ranging from butt connectors to wire nuts! They actually used 120v wire nuts on some of the 12v radio connections!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I did the same thing except I installed a regular duplex adapter under the dash with two USB charging ports. It is supplied by my 1000 watt inverter. Never had a problem.

Yes, see above comment, I’m doing basically the same thing you did.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes, see above comment, I’m doing basically the same thing you did.
if it helps, I looked all over the place on my 335 for a way to route the power cable down from the overhead where it would plug in to below the dash. Turns out if you take off the driver's side window trim you can snake the power cord down inside it. I drilled a hole in the left side of the drivers overhead compartment and just put a plug on it and plugged it into the outlet in that compartment.

Your coach is the same layout as mine. I put an inverter in the rear power bay and piggy backed it to the power converter with a 100 amp fuse. Drilled down from the space behind the power panel in the bedroom, pulled the wire from the "outlets" breaker and put in another, leading them both straight down to the ceiling of the power bay and installed a 15 amp transfer switch. 6 feet of #6, fuse holder and transfer switch...easy as could be, almost as if FR planned it that way.

All outlets on the driver's side, under the bed, the bedroom and in the overhead up front are powered, as are both TVs. easiest install ever...always have power when going down the road. Hated to run a 5 kw generator to power a 100 watt TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_085948.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	171330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_090127.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	171331  

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #19

I did this on my TV...best way to connect for an inverter was this because of higher current draw. Could go up to 30A and also holds the original fuse.

SpyTec Hardwire Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder for A119 | A119S | Mobius | A118C | GIT2 | Dash Camera Hardwire Kits https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPH1GW3..._NTe9AbXGB0DBQ

This way I just went in with a simple test light and the ignition off to see which fuse did not have power. Then tested again with the ignition on to make sure it worked.

You may also want to check online for your chassis to see if there is a fuse block diagram.

Hope that helps you. Good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
if it helps, I looked all over the place on my 335 for a way to route the power cable down from the overhead where it would plug in to below the dash. Turns out if you take off the driver's side window trim you can snake the power cord down inside it. I drilled a hole in the left side of the drivers overhead compartment and just put a plug on it and plugged it into the outlet in that compartment.

Your coach is the same layout as mine. I put an inverter in the rear power bay and piggy backed it to the power converter with a 100 amp fuse. Drilled down from the space behind the power panel in the bedroom, pulled the wire from the "outlets" breaker and put in another, leading them both straight down to the ceiling of the power bay and installed a 15 amp transfer switch. 6 feet of #6, fuse holder and transfer switch...easy as could be, almost as if FR planned it that way.

All outlets on the driver's side, under the bed, the bedroom and in the overhead up front are powered, as are both TVs. easiest install ever...always have power when going down the road. Hated to run a 5 kw generator to power a 100 watt TV.

Awesome! Thanks for the info and the start of my shopping list. I was thinking that area would be the best spot for the inverter beings it’s right below the main house breaker panel and you have confirmed that! Out of curiosity what size inverted did you install??

Also, like you mentioned I did find the access to the upper storage area by removing the trim panel and drilling a small hole and fishing the wire for our gps up there as a temporary solution but on ours there is no outlets, 12v or 120v on the drivers they are on the passenger side but that will work for adding a 120v outlet below the dash for her laptop!

Again thanks for the info, that’s why I love this forum! Now on to fixing the motor for the steps that stripped out last night.. 🤦🏻*♂️

Tags
280, mount, power