Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
NXR

About to buy 2019 GT5 34H5 and have some questions

We're considering purchasing a 2019 GT5 34H5 next week and have several questions. This is the "second half" production run and is about a month on the lot per the salesperson. We're upgrading from a 10' Jayco pop-up.

Does Forest River provide access to the service documents like Winnebago does or are they able to be purchased?

It's plumbed for a washer/dryer and the dealer quoted $2,000 for a Splendide (no model specified), which seems really high priced. What does "plumbed" mean precisely? We saw the water lines and a drain pipe but do not recall a vent connection. One forum post said the other end of the hoses were not connected. If you've added a combo, what was involved? Did you have to go 7100 unvented or the 2100 vented? Or?

How hard is it to find campsites that will accept a 38' motorhome versus a 35' motorhome?

How is the Norcold refrigerator/freezer? Does it really take the freezer to zero or so? I've read that many propane/electric freezers cannot do that.

I'd prefer to have four house batteries but the GT5 only has two. Has anyone replaced the originals with AGM or Lithium-ion batteries? Was anything major involved?

I'm fairly good mechanically and definitely good with electrical. More importantly, I know when I'm not. :-)

Thanks,

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #2

We just bought one in the last month. Very happy so far.

I can't tell you much yet but the freezer does indeed go to zero on ours. We'll have to see what happens this summer but from what I've seen and the one we had in my last rig I don't anticipate any issues.

As to finding campsites I don't see a problem. Many places have larger sites and this is still smaller than many of the larger diesel rigs. I guess it would depend on where you are going. I had a 32 footer before and almost always tow a vehicle or trailer and never had had a problem finding a pull through. I live in the Southwest if that helps.

As to the washer, it is not vented.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Vent is part of combo install. I am about to pick up mine tomorrow. It has vent because the washer / dryer unit was factory installed.

I had unit removed per deal with dealer because I wanted closet more than in coach laundry.

You or dealer will have to install flap vent.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
We're considering purchasing a 2019 GT5 34H5 next week and have several questions. This is the "second half" production run and is about a month on the lot per the salesperson. We're upgrading from a 10' Jayco pop-up.

Does Forest River provide access to the service documents like Winnebago does or are they able to be purchased?

It's plumbed for a washer/dryer and the dealer quoted $2,000 for a Splendide (no model specified), which seems really high priced. What does "plumbed" mean precisely? We saw the water lines and a drain pipe but do not recall a vent connection. One forum post said the other end of the hoses were not connected. If you've added a combo, what was involved? Did you have to go 7100 unvented or the 2100 vented? Or?

How hard is it to find campsites that will accept a 38' motorhome versus a 35' motorhome?

How is the Norcold refrigerator/freezer? Does it really take the freezer to zero or so? I've read that many propane/electric freezers cannot do that.

I'd prefer to have four house batteries but the GT5 only has two. Has anyone replaced the originals with AGM or Lithium-ion batteries? Was anything major involved?

I'm fairly good mechanically and definitely good with electrical. More importantly, I know when I'm not. :-)

Thanks,

Ray
Congrats on your purchase...

Lots of questions and this is the place. There’s lot of expertise here and we’re always willing to help. Make sure to always include the make and model of whatever appliances you’re addressing. You’ll also notice a lot of us include our Georgetown specifics in our signature.

I’ll address two of your questions...

A 38’ motorhome is getting up there in size, but you shouldn’t have too much trouble unless you’re looking for more rustic campgrounds....such as Provincial, State, Federal compared to private commercial campgrounds like KOA, Good Sam etc. More often it will also be important to watch for overhead clearance.
I always look for clearance concerns if it even approaches 12’.

Also.....ask a separate posting labled “RV Washer/Dryer questions”
You’ll quickly find they don’t do nearly as much or as quickly as you’d get from your unit at home or at a campground. Especially the dryer. Check with those that have them to get their input compared to a lot of us that prefer the extra storage space versus a Washer/Dryer.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
NXR

Thanks. Yes, it's 12'6" so we figure we'll need to look for 13' or better. I know the washer/dryer combo is slow, maybe three hours per load, especially if you have the unvented version. And it can chew through a lot of water., especially the unvented one. It'll just be two of us almost all of the time plus a couple of doggies and we want to pack light so we're thinking a daily run of towels, etc.

And the washer/dryer is a "Happy wife, happy life" kind of thing.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Forget the Happy Wife,Happy Life - be practical. Do your HOMEWORK on Washer/Drier. I ve heard positives and negatives on washer dryers regardlessless of vented or non. Did have someone tell me non vented created too much moisture in rv and too much moisture with no air flow creates mold issues and swelling of wood//“partical board”
Length - depends where you want to go. Start looking at that now in campgrounds before your buy. Not hard to do on web. Some states have state limitations to 25’ or less. Investigate before you buy.
Residential fridge has limitations in certain types of camping. Wish I had gas/electric so National Parks and brief dry camping would would be possible. Residential has limitations yet advantages only with electriciity
Your generator will burn abt 1/2 gal of gas per hour and how many hours will it take to recharge batteries.
We have Georgetown 360 XL 37’ 11”. 4 batteries
In RVs and elsewhere you will find OOH and Awwwws. They will bite you in the backside and wallet.
Don t listen to salesmen do your own research and tell the wife the Oooh and Awwws repairs will come out of her $$$$$.
I gave in on something’s when she wouldn’t t listen, wanted to make her happy and I was proven correct.
Forget the Happy wife.... impossible... think practical and look to the future and predict.
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #7

Wife and I purchased out 34H5 last month, have been to Florida for 3 weeks and now back home, a few minor issues but nothing big. we really enjoyed so far. no issues at KOA we stayed with length. We have vent W/D and enjoyed the convenience of not going to laundry. no regrets so far. Try to get WD in deal as we did and also worked in 3 new auto vent fans.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
NXR

Thanks, twoclaws. I've read a lot on the condensation-style combos and apparently they are quite popular in Europe due to the small size. They're not supposed to put any noticeable amount of humidity because they pull the water out of the clothes as condensate and run it down the drain. That being said, I'd prefer the vented one.

Agreed on the residential fridge. We originally looked at some Winnebagos and a 369DS and they all had residential fridges. I just prefer the ability to run on either fuel myself.

Agreed on the 25' state and federal park restrictions. It is what it is. 25' and even 30' just seemed too small to us. Each of the RV salespeople we spoke to at multiple dealers said that the usual reason people trade-in RV's after 3-5 years is because they bought too small. Of course, their commission is better if they sell big. I can believe it, though. I suspect people are just worried as to whether they can drive something so much larger than a car. My wife and I are used to driving big rigs because she and I both worked on fire departments. It's just different.

The GT5 only has two house batteries so I'm looking into replacing them with AGM or maybe even lithium-ion. But probably not until they start giving me problems or until I have capacity problems while on the road.

Ray
Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #9

Ray, I installed a Splendide 2100 in our Cedar Creek 5th wheel. It is a DIY project.
Do it all for around $1200 machine included. The vent install is easy and quick. All of my water and drain lines were connected as they should have been and I used stainless braided supply lines from HD. Paint the vent cover the color you want it before installing, it will be white. Also, I installed the overflow pan, in case of a leak.
You will appreciate having your own laundry, in house. Yes, it is slower than the coin-op and it will wrinkle things if too many articles of clothing are washed at one time.
The big plus is clean clothes daily and I can be doing ANYTHING besides sitting in the laundromat. Go for it.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:38 AM   #10
NXR

Thanks, FordHauler. Did you have any concerns over punching that hole through the wall for the vent? Are your walls aluminum or fiberglass?

I haven't gone back and looked at the one on the lot yet but my pictures show a "black square" on the upper part of the wall in the compartment. If you're looking at it from the front it would be on the left side. I'm not sure what it is so that may be duct provisioning.

Ray
Old 03-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
NXR

Thanks to all who replied. As it turned out we will not be buying the 2019.5 GT5 34H5 after all.

And I am very happy to say we will be ordering a new 2020 GT5 34H5, perhaps as early as tomorrow!

Hopefully I can get past the thought that this thing will cost us 30% more than we paid for our home three decades ago.

Ray