Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Access to water pump- 2016 Georgetown 329DS

Can anyone explain why the access to the water pump, etc. is behind a piece of cardboard with a small round porthole? When I open the storage bin door, I find a black piece of cardboard with a round porthole opening with the cardboard held in place by 4 small screws. Removing them and the cardboard allows access to the water pump, etc. I would like to take it off and toss it but I may be missing something. Is it used for security? Keep water out? What?
Thanks!
GHrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHrv View Post
Can anyone explain why the access to the water pump, etc. is behind a piece of cardboard with a small round porthole? When I open the storage bin door, I find a black piece of cardboard with a round porthole opening with the cardboard held in place by 4 small screws. Removing them and the cardboard allows access to the water pump, etc. I would like to take it off and toss it but I may be missing something. Is it used for security? Keep water out? What?
Thanks!
I think it's just to make it look tidy when you open the hatch. Don't see any other use for it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think it's just to make it look tidy when you open the hatch. Don't see any other use for it.
+1. Getting rid of it can free up a little bit of storage for smaller items.
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I thought about removing the waterpump "cover" on my 364, but after peering into the abyss of hoses and such, I'm not sure. Especially since I have 2 water pumps. I had originally thought that maybe one pump serviced the front bath and the 2nd serviced the rear, but it appears that they both supply a common line. I'll have to study it a little more when I have time and it's not in the single digits outside.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #5

I removed all the black panels on my GT - no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

I believe these are high quality FIREWALLS. Cleverly disguised as paper thin garbage 😜
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

Not sure about that particular unit, but generally there is a furnace heat duct that discharges near the water pump. On my unit the fiberboard serves to protect the pump from stored items, AND to contain the heat near the water pump. Otherwise, with the entire compartment being rotocast plastic, furnace would not be very effective in cold weather.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #8

I remove my porthole board. Gave me good access the pump and additional storage space for long items. I think it just to make it look nice for the salesman. Door closed, looks tidy. If I open the door, I want access, not then unscrew open the portholes.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #9

I believe that they are designed to act as additional insulation to keep the components warm when the temperature drops. Why remove them except to gain temporary access to the contents.

It is really easy for lines to freeze even with insulation and I would be that they gain you a significant amount when the mercury drops below 32.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

You could be right about the concept of trying to insulation the compartment, but there be very little R value in a 1/8 thick board with two plastic holes. It would keep the wind out, but the main door does that. If I needed that level of insulation, I think cutting a piece of styrofoam to fill the void would create a higher R value.

Perhaps the wall may also be there to protect the heat pads under the fresh water tank.

Dave

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #11

Okay, maybe I didn't say it plain. The board is there to contain heated air supplied by the furnace duct to the water pump closet. Heat loss is a function of not just the heat differential and insulation value, but also in direct proportion the area over which the differential exists. The board being there reduces the area by 4 to 6 times compared to it's absence. Hence considerable less chance to freeze.

I also added insulation behind the board.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #12

Think it's also there to prevent stowing soft goods from covering the water pump and allowing it to overheat.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #13

Thanks Rubber Nail, your explanation makes sense now.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #14

When I had my PDI on my 2011 Georgetown 327DS, I asked the same question. The answer was: this is to prevent you from storing stuff in this compartment. Of course, it also prevents you from changing the valves so winterize and makes it difficult to extract the winterizing hose. It's also impossible to change the water filter with the cardboard cover in place.

The compartment door has styrafoam insulation in it and the R factor of the thin cardboard is meaningless when compared to the door insulation. The compartment plastic box, where there's no bubble insulation is the greatest heat loss area for the compartment.

I removed mine and use the compartment to store the filter wrench and a few spare filter cartridges. It also makes it easy to visually inspect the tank when filling it so I can avoid the dreaded "siphon overflow drains water tank" problem.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #15

Smile Makes it tidy looking, but hard to work inside!

I've got that unit and removed mine to deal with winterizing and also added a 110v plug to add a heater for winter operations. The water pump sits on the bottom of the compartment with no insulation to protect the pump. Been planning on adding foam insulation to protect the compartment. The water heater will provide enough ambient heat to protect the enclosure once insulated. Still using my little thermostat controlled heater when needed. Will post mod when I can get to it!
Trapper Creek Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #16

Thanks all for the replies. Interesting that FR would go to the trouble of adding something that does nothing.
GHrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #17

Just out of morbid curiosity....has anyone asked FR what the purpose is??
Watertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #18

AGAIN. There is a furnace duct that discharges hot air behind the baffle board. The baffle board helps contain the warm air around the water pump to prevent freezing! Would have been better if they had used insulation board, but the rest of the compartment isn't insulated either.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #19

I have and 06 that had the plastic boards with hand hole and there is no heat duct or exposed heating ducts that would offer any heat to that area. Maybe on and XL or one with arctic pac there would be heat. I believe they are there to dress the area because I have them in another compartment that is nowhere near any water.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, pump, water, water pump